• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who, instead of Ebron?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Lombardi coming in from Nawleans, we possibly, more than likely, didn't have a TE that fit for what he wanted to do in our offense. Pettigrew is slow as hell, and Fauria really was only a red zone target last year. They obviously felt Ebron gives them that TE that fits the system better.

There's still plenty of defensive talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Plus we have three 4th rounders we could possibly use to trade up into the third or possibly second again.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breakdown,

The Bears have one of the best duos at WR, a good TE and RB. Who is to say that they wouldnt have drafted Ebron if he was there? I would argue Ebron grades higher than Fuller by most teams.

Why do we keep talking about luxury? I would think if you have one diamond or even two or three, most people would mind adding some gold or another diamond if the opportunity is there and the price is right.

Ebron was a good investment speaking in business terms. For my money, I want the best player available and I wouldnt settle for less. I'll pay #10 money to a player some teams think is elite talent. Put him in there with Tate and CJ and now you have a diamond and some gold.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the Lions D isn't as shitty as many think. We were number one in red zone scoring defense. Our offense put us in many a shitty position last season and the D stepped up huge many times.

Maybe Austin likes what he sees with our young secondary and feels we could use early round help elsewhere?

They arent shitty but they arent great either. They will get destroyed against a great offense. Hopefully the lions can land a defensive playmaker in the next couple.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have preferred a WR even.
Well then u may have gotten that. Ebron isn't the greatest blocker(he can still improve) but I'm quite sure he was drafted to be a receiver more than a blocker.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our offense was impotent at many times last year, you guys may or may not remember. Our defense held their own many times. The draft still isnt over.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gvs,

TrustmeImright is acting like the world is ending. He is trying everything possible to bring Ebron down and he hasnt played one snap yet. Im not saying everyone has to agree, but lets finish this and look at the draft as a whole. I would be pissed at the Vikings and Cleveland if I was in the defense camp. They screwed the Lions big time.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our offense was impotent at many times last year, you guys may or may not remember. Our defense held their own many times. The draft still isnt over.

Yeah, that had to do with stafford struggling big time. The offense will be impotent again next year if stafford doesnt figure it out. If he does figure it out they would have did great with or without ebron. Its nice to have a good pass catching TE but this all hinges on whether stafford can get the ball to him.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gvs,

TrustmeImright is acting like the world is ending. He is trying everything possible to bring Ebron down and he hasnt played one snap yet. Im not saying everyone has to agree, but lets finish this and look at the draft as a whole. I would be pissed at the Vikings and Cleveland if I was in the defense camp. They screwed the Lions big time.

Ah ok, well every day trustme acts like the world is ending.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah ok, well every day trustme acts like the world is ending.

I have been just as negative as him. Not fair to just single out him. The guy has a right to speak his mind and at least IMO he isn't off base on some of his thoughts.

Not taking into account whatever they do tonight to salvage it I think this will go as a horrible offseason. I think they overpaid for Tate, the new S is a drop off in talent, the Suh situation has been allowed to become a disaster, and and I think it was a very poor choice for a top 10 pick.

That's just one fans opinion. It sure doesn't make it right, nor does it make it wrong.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im still impressed about the teams that go for who they want and aren't scared to take chances. Buffalo got a steal with Watkins and they got to keep all of their 2014 picks. Cleveland didnt even give Detroit a chance at the best CB.

How'd that work out for Min and Jax taking Ponder and Gabbertt. Oak Darius Heyward-Bey. Mia Teddy Ginn Jr. . I could go on and on and on.. Oh wait Charles Rogers and Mike Williams. We're talking about receivers as a whole, as you stated Ebron could be moved around.

Gilbert being this years best CB is highly debatable as the majority actually had Dennard graded higher upon final release of rankings, as in late Wednesday night.

I still think at this point the topic of bitchin about drafting Ebron is nothing more than US DEFENSIVE GUYS wanted someone on that side. It's didn't happen, should've expected to NOT HAPPEN with all the pre-draft drama hype the media and fans alike had regarding Watkins 1st and Evans 2nd. They were gone and Ebron, in the yes of Mayhew and persuaded by Lombardi's love-fest, was next best on their board.

CASE CLOSED... even though Ebron wouldn't have been my choice. Fans choices mean shit, unless their player gets drafted by said TEAM

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dr. Eviler,

Im sure you will feel better when we go to Detroit and Ebron scores on them twice. Lol

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Blue,

Its because they didnt draft people's favorite player.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind the pick at all- Ebron looks like a good #3 WR.

Exactly. Of any of the offensive skill position players, Ebron was the only one who could bring mismatches.(maybe Evans, but he thrived on broken plays thanks to an elusive mobile QB, somewhat like Tate did in SEA.) Not just for himself, but Bush and Tate as well. When he lines up wide on the same side as CJ(Im thinking short side) it's going to open up all kinds of opportunities for Reggie to burn linebackers on the opposite side. This pick could help with run blocking, not sure. But it lessens BP's role in the passing game(downfield, not as a dumpoff option)and lessens the need for another talk receiver(Durham) to be used situationally. I would have liked a tradedown and Dix being selected. But he wasn't. And Buchannon is gone too. It'll be interesting to see what's done to help the defense the rest of the way.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interesting to see what's done to help the defense the rest of the way.
There are so many good defensive players still out there. We also have three 4th round picks we can use to help trade up if need be.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also have three 4th round picks we can use to help trade up if need be.
Cant trade comp picks. We essentially only have one tradeable 4th rd pick. And unfortunately due to the Mike Thomas debacle we dont have a 5th rounder.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been just as negative as him. Not fair to just single out him. The guy has a right to speak his mind and at least IMO he isn't off base on some of his thoughts.

Not taking into account whatever they do tonight to salvage it I think this will go as a horrible offseason. I think they overpaid for Tate, the new S is a drop off in talent, the Suh situation has been allowed to become a disaster, and and I think it was a very poor choice for a top 10 pick.

That's just one fans opinion. It sure doesn't make it right, nor does it make it wrong.

Never noticed...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lionstop1 said:
Those are reasonable choices but I perfer to keep Waddle right where he is and I wouldn't like Donald at 10.

That's strictly you LionStop1, not liking Donald at #10..You're mostly offensive guy based on this years talent. Wanting Watkins, Evans, or Ebron. I know you posted defensive guys you'd be okay with drafting. But honestly, do you really think for 1 second drafting Gilbert over Donald that Gilbert has more impact than Donald in 1st year or even 1st 2 years than Donald. 3 DT's contracts expiring and the production Donald had in college, then the Senior Bowl, where every scout raved about his skill-set, then the combine #'s he had that blew away Fairley's and Suh's for the majority.

Defensive guys didn't like receivers of any type at #10 just as much as you "wouldn't like Donald at #10. Personally, I would have taken Donald at #10 before Dennard, Dix, Pryor, Fuller, Gilbert and Barr. In that order. But that is "My Opinion ONLY". Just like you have "your opinion". I don't fault you for who you like, you shouldn't fault others for their liking of a certain player on the defensive side.

Furthermore, the rankings, gradings we see on ESPN, NFL.com, CBS or Walter is NOT what the Lions have on their board. Look at Miami taking Ju'Wuan James. Many consider him a reach when in fact, he's the player that fit their scheme and was their boards next best player. Same for Seattle's pick of Bruce Irvin drafted at #15 when rankings suggested he was 39-78... but was a 1st rd draftee.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have went defense with the pick you guys already have one of the best offenses in the league I think you guys should have drafted Kyle Fuller because you play in a division against teams that like to throw the ball. The packers are the team to beat I dont see why you guys keep loading up your offense trying to out score aaron rodgers

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never noticed...

:laugh3:

Did anyone else not notice?

I'm assuming you were just trying to be nice GVSU :suds: I dont remember the last post I made that had a positive spin to it I'm sorry to say.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lionstop1 said:
I see the value in the Ebron pick.

If you need an athletic TE to run your scheme, have major depth issues at WR and could use an upgrade at TE, why not take a player like Ebron who helps solve those issues. Its a solid investment.

Taking Donald pushes Suh and Fairley further out the door, imo. That situatuon could get ugly.

It's already an ugly situation anyways. and really gives a FUCK about feelings or ugliness. Fairley was a known lazy-ass before being drafted. You need 4 DT's for rotation. When the best DT in this draft is available and you have 3 expiring contracts you take a look at drafting that player, who projects to be just like Geno Atkins...

I respect you as a person, your opinion and thought process but you have a tendency to spin your wants, desires for receivers as much as defensive guys do towards that side of the ball, then fail to see where we are coming from...