• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who, instead of Ebron?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my place, I know, but I would have taken ANY of the defensive players left on the board over Ebron.

Ebron may be a stud, but I can't think of a position less-needed on your team. Taking the best available player is a great strategy, unless you already are stacked at that position.

I gotta be honest, I thought it was the biggest shock of the 1st rd.

Ja'waan James was my shocker. They needed OL but I didn't see him that early. Reaching does not fix problem areas.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron > Martin
Yes, if you are saying Ebron is a better TE than Martin. Not a chance if you are comparing which one makes the team better. Martin = better player, less bust risk, bigger need, better value, better pick.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why give up on Waddle? He is what the fans have been asking for.

Not sure if that was for me or someone else but who is giving up on Waddle? Martin might actually be the better player at every position on the line sans Warford than who played there last year. He can play all five spots on the line.

Ebron can run pass routes and is described not only as a poor blocker but an unwilling one. He completely a one trick pony, a pass catching TE. On the heels of committing $16m to Pettigrew the pick makes no sense to me at all.

I'll root for him to be a pro-bowler but no way I'm getting on board that this was a good, smart pick.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ja'waan James was my shocker. They needed OL but I didn't see him that early. Reaching does not fix problem areas.

Ya, that was definitely a reach, but at least it fills a need.

I pay more attention to the NFCN, for obvious reasons, and I have to say, my jaw dropped when the Lions picked...I did not expect them to take a TE...in fact, that would've been the last position I expected them to pick.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the pick myself, personally. Stafford is destined for greatness now.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cant just pick "any" defensive player just because. I dont like that at all. Again, Barr and Gilbert were off the board.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think the Lions now have one of the best groups of TEs in the league now to go with a solid pairing of Tate and CJ and Bell and Bush. Im glad they kept Pettigrew.

Here we go again. We can add one of the best group of TE's, to one of the best group of RB's and one of the best OL and a top 5 WR duo. Am I missing anything?

The Lions "best groups" are that just to Lions fans. You want to know who has the best group of TE's. Any team Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski play for. Any team that has Peyton Manning throwing him the football. That about sums up the list of the best group of TE's.

You want Eric Ebron to be one of the best TE's in the NFL? Give him Drew Brees, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning throwing him the ball. Great QB's make the talent around them better, not the other way around, unless you are Calvin Johnson, which Ebron is not.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two different analyst go on record, stating Ebron is more athletic than Vernon Davis but less shifty.

I'd like to know what two analyst said Ebron is more athletic than Vernon Davis.

Vernon Davis ran a 4.4 40, put up 225 33 times, had a 42 inch vertical, ran the 3 cone in 7.00 and had a broad jump of 128 inches.

Eric Ebron ran a 4.6 40, put up 225 24 times, had a 32 inch vertical, didn't run the 3 cone and had a broad jump of 120 inches.

If Ebron had the same type of numbers Davis put up at the combine -- I'd be more understanding of the pick. It isn't even remotely close though.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I now see why TP tells some of you to go root for another team.

Here we are, after one damn pick, acting like the world is ending. Everything is StaffordsSuh. ult. Dont pick a good TE because Stafford isnt Brees or Brady. smh

Make up your minds. If you want to be a fan of a team that will pick only your favorite players, good luck finding them.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayock said it last night and I saw another one on some site I was on last night. Screw Vernon Davis anyway.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to know what two analyst said Ebron is more athletic than Vernon Davis.
Mike Mayock, for one.

PICK ANALYSIS:
"People ask me to compare him to Vernon Davis. He's not as quick or as twitchy as Davis, but he's a better athlete with better hands. Everything this kid does is easy. He is one of best athletes I've seen at that size. When you combine him with (the Lions' other tight ends) Joseph Fauria and Brandon Pettigrew, all of a sudden Matthew Stafford has a lot of weapons on that offense." -- Mike Mayock

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind the pick at all- Ebron looks like a good #3 WR.

That being said, Aaron Donald definitely would have been my pick. Kyle Fuller would have got consideration as well, and I wouldn't have minded Zach Martin.

Other than those three, we really didn't have a lot of options at #10. Watkins and Evans were gone, as were Mack and Clowney. The Browns hi-jacked Gilbert, and Anthony Barr went sooner than expected, too. Jake Matthews would have been a good option, too, but alas.

My first reaction was a "what the fuck?!" kind of thing because I really wanted Donald, but upon further inspection we did fine with the pick considering the available players.

All-in-all not the pick I personally wanted, but fine pick all said and done.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
↑↑↑↑↑↑

I'll take Mayock's assessment over anybody's in here. Im not worried about what everyone is saying now because I know most of you will change your mind as early tonight. Lol

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it was a luxury pick.

Do you feel they are in that position?

If it were me, taking an offensive player with their 1st rder woulda pissed me off, regardless of his talent.

Bears were in a similar position, and without a doubt, had they gone O in the first round, Ida been pissed.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what Rollinthunder said about Ebron in the thread:

Originally Posted by*broncosmitty*

I thought Ebron ran a 4.5? (Im just accepting this franchise doesn't give a fuck about building a winner. Going to be an offensive skill position. Doesn't matter to me anymore.)

"Unofficial 4.47.. Dude is a

Now he is saying that he is Jared Cook. LOL

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the Lions D isn't as shitty as many think. We were number one in red zone scoring defense. Our offense put us in many a shitty position last season and the D stepped up huge many times.

Maybe Austin likes what he sees with our young secondary and feels we could use early round help elsewhere?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't include some type of trade scenerio that we don't know anything about. Who would've been your pick at 10 and justify it?

Here's an athlete that everyone was aware of being linked to Detroit, who happens to be an elite prospects on offense by some accounts, yet Lions fans are pouting because a defensive player wasnt chosen. Two different analyst go on record, stating Ebron is more athletic than Vernon Davis but less shifty. Ebron brings things to the table that the Lions didnt have. He's already a better option at TE and WR, than most of what the Lions had.

How goofy would it be to implement at N.O style offense without a TE that can play that role? Pettigrew and Fauria are not those type of players. Why sign Pettigrew is the next question fans ask? That should be the easiest answer to come up with. Fans should consider how Ebron potentially makes Pettigrew and Fauria better.

I understand the anger though. Watkins and Evans got snatched right up before the Lions eyes, only to then witness Cleveland snatch Gilbert up with a planned trade (dont think Cleveland didnt know the Lions needed a CB). Those were my top three players on the wish-list. After all, Mayhew must follow the blueprints that the fans lay out because they have watched and studied tons of YouTube videos and read various blogs and such. I guess the Lions were supposed accept any trade offer made also. Someone has to be pissed though. If they werent, this wouldnt be any fun.

These actions make things interesting to me. Like I said, fans will be pissed all up until we must state why the Lions are a good team compared to others. Soon, we will see the minds change right before our eyes. Tonight, the Lions take the BPA and I think it will be defense, but prepare yourselves. Some of those WRs are better than the defensive players available.

Im still impressed about the teams that go for who they want and aren't scared to take chances. Buffalo got a steal with Watkins and they got to keep all of their 2014 picks. Cleveland didnt even give Detroit a chance at the best CB.

Honestly? Anyone. Even if ebron turns out a good TE it was a bad pick. The only way this is a good pick is if he is the next jimmy graham, and thats a reach. There wasnt a worse pick the lions could have made at ten. I would have preferred a WR even.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the Lions D isn't as shitty as many think. We were number one in red zone scoring defense. Our offense put us in many a shitty position last season and the D stepped up huge many times.

Maybe Austin likes what he sees with our young secondary and feels we could use early round help elsewhere?

One of the best front 4s in the game. But TE? Really? I'm as big a homer as there is, but Ida been pissed.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I now see why TP tells some of you to go root for another team.

Here we are, after one damn pick, acting like the world is ending. Everything is StaffordsSuh. ult. Dont pick a good TE because Stafford isnt Brees or Brady. smh

Make up your minds. If you want to be a fan of a team that will pick only your favorite players, good luck finding them.

Who said the world is ending? People cant criticize a bad pick? TP drives some people crazy as well you know. Even TP questioned this pick!