• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

which player would you remove for Howard?

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read several times posters call howard a "top 5" player, which i strongly disagree. Not even including future HOFs, I dont even think he is a top 5 prime player. Here is my list of prime players and how i have them ranked. Which one would you remove for howard?

1 Lebron James

2 Kevin Durant

3 Chris Paul

4 Russel Westbrook

5 James Harden

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching all of them play, there isn't one of those on that list I would give up for Howard. It really wouldn't make that big of a difference

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference to me, is desire and passion. These players are emotional after every game lost and you can tell losing is not something that sits well with them. On the other hand, Howard seems to not be bothered by losing if he had a "fun" night (individual performance wise).

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add Carmelo Anthony, Steph Curry and Brook Lopez for sure. You could certainly make some arguments for Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, DWill and DWade if youre talking post prime.

Paul George has certainly put himself in the elite pre-prime category

Last edited by a moderator:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was a top 5 player, maybe even top 3 before the Dwightmare saga in Orlando and the back injuries. He still could get back to that level if he figured things out and learned to play to his strengths better, but it is unlikely at this point.

Today, I am not sure he is a top 3 center. Here is a list of centers you would at least have to consider taking ahead of Dwight, all factors considered:

Marc Gasol
Roy Hibbert
Tyson Chandler

If your franchise was in rebuilding mode, would you not rather have a Larry Sanders, Derrick Favors or an Andre Drummond type guy? Dwight has given people a lot of reasons to doubt his ability to contribute at an elite level.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add Carmelo Anthony, Steph Curry and Brook Lopez for sure. You could certainly make some arguments for Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, DWill and DWade if youre talking post prime.

Brook Lopez? I don't think so.

He can score, but he is too soft. I would take my chances with Dwight over him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brook Lopez? I don't think so.

He can score, but he is too soft. I would take my chances with Dwight over him.
Lopez PER was 24.8. Howards was 19.4. Lopez is 2 years younger than Howard.

While I agree that Lopez is soft, his defensive game is improving and Howard is still a guy you can't go to war with in the 4th quarter because of his FT shooting

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with you, but I think PER is a flawed measure when evaluating big men. Lopez is a very effficient offensive player, but he does not have nearly the same impact on the defensive end which is why I chose to list Hibbert, Chandler and Gasol.

Lopez blocks shots, yes, but if he were really as good as his 24.8 PER suggests, then the Nets would have gotten out of the first round this year.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's all subjective... Individually you take that list, in terms of a team you take Howard... As much as I wished the Lakers didn't need him, unless you have Lebron or Durant, you start with Howard... You could argue Marc Gasol or Jokim Noah, but you can put people around Dwight to make him the game changer he once was... He's getting his agility back and should be full force next year, he just needs the right pieces, unfortunately the right pieces are in Houston... If he wants to win and believes history only judges wins he should go there, if he wants to become a legend he should stay in LA... Because even though they'd have to rebuild around him in LA, when you shine there your light is much brighter...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez blocks shots, yes, but if he were really as good as his 24.8 PER suggests, then the Nets would have gotten out of the first round this year.
1. Joe Johnson was hurt
2. There was a MASSIVE coaching advantage with the Bulls/Nets series
3. Brook Lopez has gotten a lot better the past couple of years and has more upside to go
4. Gerald Wallace and Kris Humpries are total bums

While I agree that the Nets probably should have gotten out of the first round, I dont think that is a big knock on Lopez. Especially since Howard didnt win a game.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was to guess what an NBA Fantasy Draft would look like, it would be:

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Paul George
4. Westbrook
5. Curry
6. Harden

And then a big ol mess of GMs overrating their own guys before grabbing older superstars

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about Noah. When healthy, I would take him ahead of Howard too. Guy is a winner.

wlk3-

Howard has more talent than any big in the league, there is no doubt. If I had to win a game tomorrow though, I would take a guy who I know is going to have a positive impact on team chemistry and will be willing to accept a secondary role on offense in order to anchor the D. If Dwight ever figured out that his offensive skill set is too limited to be a go to guy and just focused on the things he was best at, he would get back to being an elite force and the Lakers would improve drastically.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Paul George
4. Westbrook
5. Curry
6. Harden

And then a big ol mess of GMs overrating their own guys before grabbing older superstars

I have not seen any expert rankings yet, but I would rank like this:

1. LeBron
1B. Durant
3. Harden
4. Paul
5. Curry
6. Westbrook

George could be 7, but I may be forgetting someone in there. CP3 is in the top 5 ahead of Curry and Westbrook for sure. Curry because of injury risk, Westbrook because he posts more dominating all around stat lines.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you give me healthy motivated prime Howard I would take him easily top 5 because a good big can do so much more damage in a game than a wing player. Not because I think he is a better or more valuable player. Just because of the way basketball works.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you give me healthy motivated prime Howard I would take him easily top 5 because a good big can do so much more damage in a game than a wing player. Not because I think he is a better or more valuable player. Just because of the way basketball works.

:agree:

Unfortunately, that is not the player we have seen the last 2 years. I really hope he can get it back.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way the Spurs give up Parker or Duncan for ANYBODY. Heck, I wouldn't give up Ginobili for him either.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way the Spurs give up Parker or Duncan for ANYBODY. Heck, I wouldn't give up Ginobili for him either.

I wouldnt either, thats why didnt even list post prime players

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was a top 5 player, maybe even top 3 before the Dwightmare saga in Orlando and the back injuries. He still could get back to that level if he figured things out and learned to play to his strengths better, but it is unlikely at this point.

Today, I am not sure he is a top 3 center. Here is a list of centers you would at least have to consider taking ahead of Dwight, all factors considered:

Marc Gasol
Roy Hibbert
Tyson Chandler

If your franchise was in rebuilding mode, would you not rather have a Larry Sanders, Derrick Favors or an Andre Drummond type guy? Dwight has given people a lot of reasons to doubt his ability to contribute at an elite level.

I would definitely take Gasol and Hibbert with all factors considered

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Paul George
4. Westbrook
5. Curry
6. Harden

I have not seen any expert rankings yet, but I would rank like this:

1. LeBron
1B. Durant
3. Harden
4. Paul
5. Curry
6. Westbrook

George could be 7, but I may be forgetting someone in there. CP3 is in the top 5 ahead of Curry and Westbrook for sure. Curry because of injury risk, Westbrook because he posts more dominating all around stat lines.

The only other player i would add is Rondo