• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where does Durant end up ?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Major teams that KD considers as to reports:

Thunder, Warriors, Spurs

I think it is a 2 horse race with SA as the dark horse. I can't see him picking anybody besides these 3, because OKC is really close. In order to leave, he would have to see a better opportunity to win. No team outside of these 3 can present that, IMO.

I am calling it 50-50 right now between the Thunder and the Dubs. His decision might linger a bit because I bet he hasn't made up his mind yet.

Lakers fans should be rooting for GS, because that makes you one step closer to Westbrook.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant going to GS would be 10x the bitch move that LeBron going to Miami was. Going to a team that went to two consecutive finals and won an NBA record 73 games in his prime to try and get a ring is nuts. Wonder if the criticism of him would reach those levels or if people would view it different some how?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll stay at OKC. He's said he wants to get this thing done, dont know if that rules out a one year contract to get to next year and the bigger salaries. Spurs are the main competition, IMO, but if he looks closely at them, he will see that they are needing talent, as the big three are old/done.

Since Westbrook definitely wants to go to either coast, he will probably be gone after next year. I think this trade is definitely to woo KD to stay: Oladipo was a top five pick, and is an effective player. If Sabonis is half the player his dad was, it's going to turn out as a killer trade for OKC.

Will that be enough to keep KD? Will he just sign a one year deal, and he and Westbrook can share the 'moving on' pain as they both move on next year?

Deal is, if KD had not bumbled away the ball 3-4 times at the end of that one game against GS, they would have played Cavs for the championship...he knows it was not because OKC is not giving him support, it was pretty much on him in that game. He may want to stay until they can win it all.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant/Westbrook have proven not to get over the hump. I always said OKC traded their championship hopes away when Harden left. If he wants championships, its not in OKC

You leave for a new job for 2 reason. More money and a better team. KD really isn't going to get that anyone other than OKC.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You leave for a new job for 2 reason. More money and a better team. KD really isn't going to get that anyone other than OKC.

Agree for the most part, but I think the other factor that he should consider is how much easier the path to the Finals has been in the EC.
You can't win the Finals if you're not in them.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree for the most part, but I think the other factor that he should consider is how much easier the path to the Finals has been in the EC.
You can't win the Finals if you're not in them.

He is not really considering any eastern teams though. If KD went to either GS or SA, the path in the west would be considerably easier. Especially if it was GS.

Also, the more I think about OKC's trade, the more I think maybe it was a bad move. They got great value, for sure, but does it make them better?

Oladipo is a better version of Waiters, but not a necessary piece. They already had Kanter and Adams, so Sabonis is a luxury and a long term asset.

Ibaka played a key role for them as an excellent defender and a floor spacer. I know he was likely to leave in FA when his contract expired, but he really fit the Thunder exceptionally well. Nobody they got back can fill his role.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not really considering any eastern teams though. If KD went to either GS or SA, the path in the west would be considerably easier. Especially if it was GS.

Also, the more I think about OKC's trade, the more I think maybe it was a bad move. They got great value, for sure, but does it make them better?

Oladipo is a better version of Waiters, but not a necessary piece. They already had Kanter and Adams, so Sabonis is a luxury and a long term asset.

Ibaka played a key role for them as an excellent defender and a floor spacer. I know he was likely to leave in FA when his contract expired, but he really fit the Thunder exceptionally well. Nobody they got back can fill his role.

It makes it easier because the Thunder fall out of the conversation, so I agree.
Then it's probably narrowed down to Warriors or Spurs.
Does a healthy Clipper team really stand a legit chance?
Prob not?

I guess his dilemma is staying on the Thunder, which would require him to have to most likely beat 2 monster teams to make the Finals vs being on an EC team, Warriors or Spurs which prob only requires beating 1 to make it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes it easier because the Thunder fall out of the conversation, so I agree.
Then it's probably narrowed down to Warriors or Spurs.
Does a healthy Clipper team really stand a legit chance?
Prob not?

I guess his dilemma is staying on the Thunder, which would require him to have to most likely beat 2 monster teams to make the Finals vs being on an EC team, Warriors or Spurs which prob only requires beating 1 to make it.

Right. Which is precisely why he might be best served to leave, regardless of what OKC looks like. It would completely change the dynamics in the west if he went to GS or SA. I am sure KD is smart enough to realize that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. I have talked myself into it.

I think KD signs in GS and we are about to witness the birth of a true dynasty.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was him, I'd stay in okc for at least 1 more year. Okc got worse but more balanced when they moved ibaka. Leaving for GSW isn't smart because he'd be the third best shooter on that team. I think it would downgrade his elite status a bit and double the expectations.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was him, I'd stay in okc for at least 1 more year. Okc got worse but more balanced when they moved ibaka. Leaving for GSW isn't smart because he'd be the third best shooter on that team. I think it would downgrade his elite status a bit and double the expectations.

Sure, he can't shoot as well as those two. He would still be their best player, or at the very least a 1A, 1B situation like Wade and LeBron had their first 2 years in Miami before Wade started to decline.

As for the expectations, at this stage of Durant's career, it is championship or bust wherever he plays.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant going to GS would be 10x the bitch move that LeBron going to Miami was. Going to a team that went to two consecutive finals and won an NBA record 73 games in his prime to try and get a ring is nuts. Wonder if the criticism of him would reach those levels or if people would view it different some how?

As has been pointed out in the legacy thread, superstars are judged by rings, so why do we then also dog them for finding the best way to get those?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he might consider Boston. Very young team. He'd get a max contract, a young smart, likeable coach, he'd have some control over who the Celtics sign in free agency. Fans would be excited but not expecting him to deliver a championship immediately. Three more first round picks next year in what is expected to be a very good draft.

OKC will not be in the mix next year and staying there and chancing an injury for a little bit more money is foolish.
Golden State might be nice but he certainly wouldn't be the feature player with Curry scoring 38 a game.

Sometimes what appears to be obvious is not always the most desirable.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he might consider Boston. Very young team. He'd get a max contract, a young smart, likeable coach, he'd have some control over who the Celtics sign in free agency. Fans would be excited but not expecting him to deliver a championship immediately. Three more first round picks next year in what is expected to be a very good draft.

OKC will not be in the mix next year and staying there and chancing an injury for a little bit more money is foolish.
Golden State might be nice but he certainly wouldn't be the feature player with Curry scoring 38 a game.

Sometimes what appears to be obvious is not always the most desirable.

Except in the Finals. Then KD can maybe be the man for Steph.

I'm still pretty bummed at Steph. Love the guy but he's why the Warriors didn't repeat. Yes I know injuries had something to do with his having lost a step in the later playoffs. But that's no excuse.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD doesn't need the money and GS is a better team than OKC. IMO if KD wants a ring then he has to go to a better team. Let's face it, if KD doesn't go this coming season, then both him and Westbrook will leave the following season.

Last edited:

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,131.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it will be interesting if the hate level gets up to where it was when James Bolted to Miami

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it will be interesting if the hate level gets up to where it was when James Bolted to Miami

No chance. Durant is not as big a star, he is not leaving his hometown, and he won't announce it on an hour long TV special.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except in the Finals. Then KD can maybe be the man for Steph.

I'm still pretty bummed at Steph. Love the guy but he's why the Warriors didn't repeat. Yes I know injuries had something to do with his having lost a step in the later playoffs. But that's no excuse.
Harrison Barnes is the reason imo hence why Durant on gsw is so scary