• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When will Wiggy next post?

When will Wiggy make his next post?

• Before game 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • During game 5

• When he grows some balls

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • After Finals and his 10,000 word 'great, fun' season manifesto is created

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • During FA

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • After Love is traded

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • After Kyrie is traded

• Other

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That didn't happen. The hand contacted the ball to force it against the board. This part of the rule is written such that the contact between the hand/ball and ball/board have to each occur simultaneously to qualify as a trap. Ergo, no goaltending.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not as if the NBA hasn't gotten it wrong before.

So you are suggesting that in this case you understand the NBA's rules better than the NBA does. Could have just said that.

I'm just pointing out that the rule doesn't differentiate between whether or not the ball is touched before it hits the glass. It simply says all 3 happening simultaneously, which did happen.

What Gordon is pointing out is that maybe you're misinterpreting the rule. It is reasonable to think that it's written to mean that initial contact between the hand, ball and backboard must occur simultaneously. The fact that they reviewed the play and decided it was a correct non-call supports Gordon.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"the hand, the ball and the backboard must all occur at the same time"

If any 1 or 2 of those 3 elements occur before the others.... it is not a trap.

The whole purpose of this trap rule is to account for a tie. We all know if it hits the backboard first its a goaltend. If its a tie... its a trap... and a goaltend.
thats interesting- that they all have to occur at the same time.

obviously its not a play that happens often becuase of the insane athleticism and timing required...too crazy

on sports science it said LeBron had a window of 1/5 of a second to make the play..... 0.2 seconds...unbbelievable....with the situation- game 7- tie game- about to lose the lead- the athleticism required - the skill required- the stakes--- has to be the best play of his career...has to be.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That didn't happen. The hand contacted the ball to force it against the board.

It Lebron forced the ball against the backboard, that means that the ball, hand and glass were touching simultaneously. If it were batted against the glass it's not a goaltend (which the rule clearly states). The ball was not simply batted against the backboard, it was trapped there.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which happened. There are pictures that show it.

It has to happen simultaneously, i am not sure how else to explain this lol

his hand FIRST hit the ball previously before the ball hit the backboard, thus it wasn't simultaneously

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's written to mean that initial contact between the hand, ball and backboard must occur simultaneously.

Exactly.

Which, to me, is inherent in the word "occur".

Its also been further explained as such from the NBA.. such as what they wrote in the L2M report.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

Its also been further explained as such from the NBA.. such as what they wrote in the L2M report.

Exactly the initial part of the play was not simultaneous, if it was it would be goaltending, but it wasn't lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on sports science it said LeBron had a window of 1/5 of a second to make the play..... 0.2 seconds...unbbelievable....with the situation- game 7- tie game- about to lose the lead- the athleticism required - the skill required- the stakes--- has to be the best play of his career...has to be.

This is why it wasn't called. It actually took photographs rather than video to show it. There's a lot that gets missed because of how big, fast and athletic these guys are.

As for it being Lebron's best play of his career, I don't know for sure about that, but I know I can't really think of a better one. Especially considering what was on the line. It was also amazing how high in the air he was. I think he was about 3/4 of the way up the backboard. That's crazy.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

Otherwise anytime there is a block off the backboard it would be goaltending because at some point in any block off the backboard, the hand, ball and backboard are all touching....LMFAO

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

Honestly, I think the language is a little hazy, which is why I was on the fence.

I'm awarding you the internet win because the play was reviewed by the NBA and it was determined that it was not goaltending.

You win, Trojan loses.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to happen simultaneously, i am not sure how else to explain this lol

his hand FIRST hit the ball previously before the ball hit the backboard, thus it wasn't simultaneously

Simultaneous: occurring, operating, or done at the same time:

If he forced the ball to the backboard (which happened) and the ball, his hand and the backboard are all in contact at the same time (which also happened) that is simultaneous. The rule doesn't differentiate about how the ball was brought to the backboard.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Otherwise anytime there is a block off the backboard it would be goaltending because at some point in any block off the backboard, the hand, ball and backboard are all touching....LMFAO

Wrong. That would be a ball batted against the backboard without simultaneous contact of all 3. Which is actually specified in the rule as not being a goaltend.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't even trap the ball anyways looking at the play, that was the only area the ball could go when he first hit it, and he purposely moves the ball to the right instead of trapping it against the board

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't even trap the ball anyways looking at the play, that was the only area the ball could go when he first hit it, and he purposely moves the ball to the right instead of trapping it against the board

Actually, he did. There are pictures that show it. He brings it to the backboard, his hand, the ball and backboard are all in contact at the same time which is why the ball rolls off to the right rather than bouncing back onto the court as it would if it were batted against the backboard.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. That would be a ball batted against the backboard without simultaneous contact of all 3. Which is actually specified in the rule as not being a goaltend.

And now you have your answer of what happened with lebrons block

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Javie, former NBA referee: "My first thing, now being out of officiating for five years and being in the replay center, I wanted to rewind it to make sure that it was legal. That's the first thing. Because I knew it was so close to being to the backboard, I wanted to see if he took it to the backboard or he took it off the backboard. So that was the first thing that I wanted to observe, and when I did observe it, then I just went like, 'Wow.' Just an incredible play because he did, even for people who are watching on TV, he came out of nowhere."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Wow.' Just an incredible play because he did, even for people who are watching on TV, he came out of nowhere."

Goaltend ot not, it was definitely an amazing freaking play. Also, I'm not saying that it should have been called. Just that by the "letter of the law" it's a goaltend.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goaltend ot not, it was definitely an amazing freaking play. Also, I'm not saying that it should have been called. Just that by the "letter of the law" it's a goaltend.
i think by the strict letter of the law it was not a goal tend though. If the Gordon quoted the rule correctly- the initial contact occurred and the ball was not on the backboard. As the rule is written - and as the NBA league office interrepreted it- it was by "the letter of the law" NOT a goal tend.

but whatever---- if you are 12 years old right now you will be seeing that play in a Finals Montage of all time great plays until you are 90 y ears old.