• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When people laughed about Romos contract

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried to tell many of those people it is just the going rate for starting QBs anymore. & the price was only going to go up. So if we waited to sign him it would have costs us more.

So now the niners have to deal with the same scenario.

It’s a six-year extension, averaging over $21 million per year ($126 million total), and with $61 million guaranteed — the highest guaranteed money ever for any NFL player.

I would still rather have Romo on the team than Kap.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried to tell many of those people it is just the going rate for starting QBs anymore. & the price was only going to go up. So if we waited to sign him it would have costs us more.

So now the niners have to deal with the same scenario.

It’s a six-year extension, averaging over $21 million per year ($126 million total), and with $61 million guaranteed — the highest guaranteed money ever for any NFL player.

I would still rather have Romo on the team than Kap.

I guess I've been offline I didn't know he officially signed. While I agree that Romo would be better for this season than Kap if his back is OK, you also have to understand that Romo is getting older and may already be out of his prime and Kap will enter his prime during the contract. So I'm not so sure this justifies Romo's contract.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I've been offline I didn't know he officially signed. While I agree that Romo would be better for this season than Kap if his back is OK, you also have to understand that Romo is getting older and may already be out of his prime and Kap will enter his prime during the contract. So I'm not so sure this justifies Romo's contract.

As long as Romo is able to play he will be better to have than Kap. if we get 4 years out of his contract I am fine with it. My fear isa when we have to get a young new QB & that guys rookie contract is up, where will be the QB contracts be at by then? 250+ million? I think all QB contracts are pretty absurd now. Imagine what they will be in like 7 years from now.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
130,000,000 gets you 3,100 yards passing and 21 TD's. WOW!

Mrhappi06

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember anyone laughing, but I do remember people saying it wasn't the smartest contract since the injuries do seem to be a constant factor(even before last season). Someone else mentioned that Romo has failed to complete 3 of the last 6 seasons. I doubt seriously he could have received more after another huge injury. Just my two cents.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember anyone laughing, but I do remember people saying it wasn't the smartest contract since the injuries do seem to be a constant factor(even before last season). Someone else mentioned that Romo has failed to complete 3 of the last 6 seasons. I doubt seriously he could have received more after another huge injury. Just my two cents.

oh there was all kinds of trash talking of paying 100+ for a qb that had never won a playoff game. Then every contract signed since has gone up.

Seattle will be screwed. Think they will be next to have to go mega contract for their QB. But atleast he can go through his read progression.

I just hope they can do something to slow down the rise in contracts by the time we find our next long term QB, After the rookie contract.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh there was all kinds of trash talking of paying 100+ for a qb that had never won a playoff game. Then every contract signed since has gone up.

Seattle will be screwed. Think they will be next to have to go mega contract for their QB. But atleast he can go through his read progression.

I just hope they can do something to slow down the rise in contracts by the time we find our next long term QB, After the rookie contract.

And he still hasn't won a playoff game and we came into the year with one of the worst cap situations in the league and it was a pretty big part of why. So I'd say as of today the criticism has been pretty accurate so far. And of course we made it even worse by restructuring him and pushing the cap hit out into years when he is even older.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he still hasn't won a playoff game and we came into the year with one of the worst cap situations in the league and it was a pretty big part of why. So I'd say as of today the criticism has been pretty accurate so far. And of course we made it even worse by restructuring him and pushing the cap hit out into years when he is even older.

So maddening that Jerry is never willing to take his medicine and fix the cap situation. Dallas hasn't been close to contention since 2009, there were several years where Dallas could have bit the bullet and sorted out the cap. But it's the same song and dance every year, contracts get restructured and the can gets kicked down the road. It's what is keeping this team at 8-8. But in the end, Jerry has a product to sell.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So maddening that Jerry is never willing to take his medicine and fix the cap situation. Dallas hasn't been close to contention since 2009, there were several years where Dallas could have bit the bullet and sorted out the cap. But it's the same song and dance every year, contracts get restructured and the can gets kicked down the road. It's what is keeping this team at 8-8. But in the end, Jerry has a product to sell.

I am sorry but I can't agree. As bad as it's been, you are in contention when the last game of the season is win and in. Not the point if we were going anywhere if in. This division says differently.

The brand Dallas Cowboys is what I think sells. That's the attraction. It never has been jerry. jerry is selling himself, always has been and now his stadium, which is an extension of himself to a very large degree.

I still think it's better thought as a curse. The curse of Jerry and soon to be his son.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who hasn't won a playoff game. As for the restructure it simply pushed 5 mil into a year Romo won't be on the team. Basically it will end up dead money split between two years.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have to agree with this. In fact, if Jerry had the advantage of hindsight.... more 8-8's and now a back injury and 8-8 at best projections...... I bet he wouldn't have done it

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was laughing at th 9ers for this contract, but it is VERY team friendly now that the details are out. If contracts like that become the future, NFLPA is not going to be happy. I bet they aer already upset about this contract.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who hasn't won a playoff game. As for the restructure it simply pushed 5 mil into a year Romo won't be on the team. Basically it will end up dead money split between two years.

Since the extension. I was quoting him.

$5M??? way off from what I saw. I thought it was over $12M. Also, Portraying it as if it is better because it is a year he won't be on the team is sugar coating. To me it's worse. I'd rather incur a guy's cap hit while I am getting something out of him. Dead money is the worst kind of cap hit to have IMO unless it's done to save cap space after cutting a player.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was laughing at th 9ers for this contract, but it is VERY team friendly now that the details are out. If contracts like that become the future, NFLPA is not going to be happy. I bet they aer already upset about this contract.

I still haven't seen it (going to search it now), but this is a good example of why you never comment too strongly on a contract until all the details come out. That's why I kept my comments to Romo's contract in this thread. We know that ones bad...we just assumed Kap's was bad too.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. In addition to the ability to cut him each year, it looks like that $12M (or a good portion of it) is likely to go away. Sure they could win the SB and sure he could be 1st or 2nd team All Pro, but is it likely?

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could be in position to draft Mariotta who compares to Kap. I got us drafting either mariotta or gregory in 2015 draft

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't 61M in guaranteed money just that?

Exactly what I was thinking. 61 in 2014, 59 in 2015 and so on. For his sake, he better hit the SB this year.

I do like this contract. I doubt players will allow this type of deal going forward. But its a good type of contract for a QB. It starts the clock.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sorry but I can't agree. As bad as it's been, you are in contention when the last game of the season is win and in. Not the point if we were going anywhere if in. This division says differently.

The brand Dallas Cowboys is what I think sells. That's the attraction. It never has been jerry. jerry is selling himself, always has been and now his stadium, which is an extension of himself to a very large degree.

I still think it's better thought as a curse. The curse of Jerry and soon to be his son.

Can't argue those points.

I am coming at this from the position that I would have rather saw the team blow it up for a year or two -- 2011,2012 would have been perfect years to do this -- fix the cap and stop the cycle of contract restructuring. Jerry would never want to do this though since it would eliminate a lot of the casual fan interest in the team for that year or two.

I think you make a great point with Jerry being obsessed with putting himself and his stadium in people's face. Which is exactly why I think he would never allow a full blown rebuild. Jerry is getting old and I doubt he wants to waste any of his remaining years being (somewhat) irrelevant during a rebuild. His ego is as large as that stadium, as you have pointed out. The team as constructed is 8-8, has an exciting offense that can go toe to toe with any in the league, a defense that is capable of giving up 35+ to any team in the league, that's enough to keep things exciting every week. And that is enough to keep Jerry in the news, which is what he really seems to care about, more than anything.

Jerry is too far into this mess to change it. Tyron Smith and Dez Bryant contracts are likely to make the team cap strapped going forward, and the circus continues. At least the cap is going up...