• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's with all this talk of resting superstars for the rest of the season?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care how bad your team is but I find it absolutely comical that the Knicks & Lakers are talking about giving their best players the rest of the year off in freaking January.

This is taking tanking to a whole different level.

If both teams follow through and rest Kobe & Melo for the rest of the year, all season ticket holders should be refunded for the remaining home games.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I welcome it with the lakers because of any draft pick outside of top 5 goes to phoenix. may be too late now having about 10 wins more than the worst team.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is where the commish should be stepping in and saying something. he obviously cant do anything about it though. time to give every team that doesn't make the playoffs 1 lottery ball. eliminate the bs.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I'm fine with it.

Granted, this is on a whoooooooooooole notha level...

But, why is it okay for Pop to rest his players for x amount of games per year?

The cold hard truth is the Knicks and Lakers stink.

They both have gimpy stars on the roster that are eating up a bunch of cap.

Who in the blue hell is gonna sign with either Team if those guys are not healthy?

Nobody wants to get caught up in a situation like TMac had to endure in Orlando with Grant Hill.

Melo has a bad knee.

Kobe is clearly not close to 100%.

Sit them down and prepare for next year.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the case of the Lakers, Kobe Bryant future minutes are limited. The truth is that coming back from an injury like the one Kobe came from normally takes two years to really heal and we all know that. Most of the players go out their and play at a lower level than normal because of the of the money. That's the first part of it

In the Lakers case, the Lakers are just as terrible with Kobe as they are without Kobe, so it makes more sense to send Kobe home and let him continue to work on his health while the team gives those precious minutes to some of the rookies that will learn and grow and get ready for next year. That is a win win for the Lakers because instead of giving up their first round draft pick to Arizona, they will get to keep it and even without a quality free agent signing in the summer, the Lakers will have the nucleus of a good team to move forward with.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are talking about shutting Kobe down in March, not January.

Don't expect to see him on many back-to-backs this year, the Lakers are basically packing it in.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are talking about shutting Kobe down in March, not January.

Don't expect to see him on many back-to-backs this year, the Lakers are basically packing it in.

Still dumb. The only reason both teams aren't going to shut them down until late February/early March is because both players want to play in the AS game.

The fact that there is talk about resting these players for the rest of the season after the AS break in early January is ridiculous.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at some pt all the regular season crap that goes on in the nba will backfire. no chance in hell id ever become a season ticketholder. use a secondary market if u want to go to games. it just isn't worth it anymore. the nba regular season is treated like an 82 game preseason

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at some pt all the regular season crap that goes on in the nba will backfire. no chance in hell id ever become a season ticketholder. use a secondary market if u want to go to games. it just isn't worth it anymore. the nba regular season is treated like an 82 game preseason

either way you get screwed unless theres some secondary thing I don't know about. any website is usually double or triple the value of ticket.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care how bad your team is but I find it absolutely comical that the Knicks & Lakers are talking about giving their best players the rest of the year off in freaking January.

This is taking tanking to a whole different level.

If both teams follow through and rest Kobe & Melo for the rest of the year, all season ticket holders should be refunded for the remaining home games.

Quite frankly - I don't see much difference with the tanking at a whole new level then players being allowed to talk and plan their destinations a year before their contracts expired which was the case with Lebron, Bosh and Wade four or more years ago. When teams are allowed to take winning at any cost to a new unprecedented level, then I think you have expect other teams to counter with their own crap. It's called the domino effect. Those three players gave Riley a heads up so Riley could trade and clear space and did so well. Then other teams see no choice but to tank it for new free agents and hopefully snag that next Lebron James. Other questionable moves will also be taken to a whole new level to compete and make attempts to level the playing field and for the record everyone was okay with Popovich resting his players when he started that a few years ago, so I don't see the difference other then the teams are going to sit their best players out for the rest of the season instead of just a few games

One more thing though. The NBA is considerably weaker than it was twenty years ago. These players are pussies compared to the hard fouls that players like Malone, Shaq Oneal and others used to distribute. Because they are weaker, the injuries are higher and the players are now soft as Charmin with no pride. As a result they are willing to sit out the entire season while their team suffers the humility, so it's a combination of many things.

Personally I wouldn't have bought tickets this year knowing the Lakers was going to be screwed up. I am smarter than that

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
either way you get screwed unless theres some secondary thing I don't know about. any website is usually double or triple the value of ticket.

Tickets are usually double or triple the price well in advance. Go on stubhub the day of the game and u will get tickets around face value or under

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tickets are usually double or triple the price well in advance. Go on stubhub the day of the game and u will get tickets around face value or under

This is true. Last month I got nets tickets $25 cheaper than what the seller bought it for

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still dumb. The only reason both teams aren't going to shut them down until late February/early March is because both players want to play in the AS game.

The fact that there is talk about resting these players for the rest of the season after the AS break in early January is ridiculous.

That's true. So much for parity, the league has no middle ground anymore. Everyone is either good enough to contend or tanking it.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA is FANtastic! LOL

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA has been screwing the fans for years now with teams like the Spurs sitting out their best stars. This is nothing new. If you buy a ticket then you are taking your chance. I love watching the games, but I am not going to give up a lot of money to see them play. Those tickets are for rich dudes who have money to throw away

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry, calling bullshit on this. If a player is obviously struggling with injury issues to the point that shutting him down for the year is being considered, then you start talking about it as soon as looks like it might need to be considered. You have to look out for the long term health of the player and the team.

As for the Lakers shutting Kobe down, in this mornings paper Byron said:

There have been no discussions between Mitch and myself. We have come nowhere near that point. It will continue to be a game by game situation. We will continue to address it. I'm pretty sure that if we are nowhere near playoff contention, we might discuss it, but there have been no discussions to this point. The plan right now is to continue to play.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe is still a superstar?

I questioned whether Kobe would actually allow himself to be shutdown completely. I'm sure it grinds at him enough to be taking games off here and there for rest. He's always been one to play through injury saying it was his obligation to ticket-paying fans.

Carmelo likely needs knee surgery. So, if he's shutdown for that, then it's hard to complain.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe is still a superstar?

I questioned whether Kobe would actually allow himself to be shutdown completely. I'm sure it grinds at him enough to be taking games off here and there for rest. He's always been one to play through injury saying it was his obligation to ticket-paying fans.

Carmelo likely needs knee surgery. So, if he's shutdown for that, then it's hard to complain.

Don't worry - He will because he hates losing too much to get in there and intentionally lose and if it serves the best interest of the Lakers and gives him a legitimate shot at a title next year - then it's worth the risk. Personally I think he knew there was no chance in hell at a title when he signed that contract extension, so he agreed to take the money and ride out the storm for the rebuilding process. In 2016 when his contract is due - if the Lakers have an attractive team, Kobe will gladly sign for less money so he can add that sixth ring. Money is always good

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA has the pussiest players in pro sports period