• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's a Fair Price for Osweiler?

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see it as there is a huge market for Osweiler. This is a league starved for QB's of even average talent. Heck the 18th highest paid QB in the league is making $16 million a year. I see 13 teams with $30 million or more in Cap Space. I see among those teams Cleveland, San Fran, maybe Bears, Rams, Texans, Chargers all looking for QB help. Some of them not right away but they all need an upgrade at the QB position. I look at the Rams and Texans seeing they have very talented rosters that are missing a QB but they are too far down in the draft to get one of the top-2 guys that could probably start right away. I see Cleveland maybe not believing in those top-2 guys so willing to pay Osweiler then take a guy like Bosa to bolster the defense.

So to me $12 million is maybe the bottom of what we could expect even the Broncos to give him. I could see him possibly having a market clear up to $17 million. Heck even heard on the radio today that there are rumors that some team if Osweiler were to hit the market would get close to $20 million a year. I mean that puts him as the 10th highest paid QB in the league. I doubt that happens but easily could see him being in that 11-18 range which would put him anywhere between $16-19.3 million.

Look Oz see's this league with two sets of eyes ..You say he see it only with greed Something tells me we got a huge home town discount .. He is like Wolf and Burton and Harris .. They love were they are and realize stay were you are succeeding ..you leave go were the team has no real investment or a bottom feeder they look for shine obects and when it don't turn there team around you become a huge scape goat add in that you lose money not singing with the team that is stable and has a use and is winning with you .

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch this mistake done year in and year out ..

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look Oz see's this league with two sets of eyes ..You say he see it only with greed Something tells me we got a huge home town discount .. He is like Wolf and Burton and Harris .. They love were they are and realize stay were you are succeeding ..you leave go were the team has no real investment or a bottom feeder they look for shine obects and when it don't turn there team around you become a huge scape goat add in that you lose money not singing with the team that is stable and has a use and is winning with you .
? Your missing something....like letters,words, periods. Me have hard time reading. Slow down Chief. :)

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oz has also a lot invest with the Broncos .. if he can stay healthy and Repeat all a sudden he is getting mega rich

Endorsement and all that go with winners ..

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
? Your missing something....like letters,words, periods. Me have hard time reading. Slow down Chief. :)

And you all are missing something ..:2cents:

SilverFalco8

TXOD BX 507
Hoopla Cash
$ 87.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not a bad option. You could do much worse at QB. I wouldn't say draft someone, because they could end up being a bust. At least we know Brock can ball at the professional level.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ceiling: A 5 year Kap type contract - Not a lot guaranteed, under $20 mil, low to mid end starter salary with both escalators & de-escalators. Easy enough to get out of after the first year or two without taking a big cap hit.

Floor: A 3 year Foles type contract. Averages out to about $8-9 mil a season. A modest singing bonus with a low end year one salary & nothing guaranteed after year one. Roster bonuses that take up the bulk of the money owed to him in years two & three.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not saying he sees it only with greed. I'm saying what some on here might be asking for Brock to do is take not just a small discount but a monumental discount to stay with the Broncos. To me any player that gives what is considered a 10% discount to stay with the Broncos is doing the team a huge favor. Which of us would take 10% less than what we are making just to stay at our current job? Now I know we are talking millions of dollars compared to what some of us make (who knows maybe we have a millionaire on here) but at the same time these guys have a short window to make enough to take care of their families for a long time.

So let's say there is a team willing to pay Brock $17 million and the Broncos are wanting him to take $12 million. Is it really greed on his part to go after the $17 million instead of only 2/3rds of the value that he could get elsewhere? I don't consider that greed but him wanting to make the most of his opportunity.

Now yes going to a bottom feeder could ruin his career. At the same time staying with the Broncos could do just the same. Let's say he goes out this next season and week 1 blows out his shoulder. Well the Broncos cut him the next year having made possibly $8-9 million less in guarantees than if he had signed with another team that was going to pay him top dollar. Every decision these guys make is a risk.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oz has also a lot invest with the Broncos .. if he can stay healthy and Repeat all a sudden he is getting mega rich

Endorsement and all that go with winners ..

The team could fall apart next year with missing pieces on defense and injuries and all of a sudden Osweiler is the scape goat for the Broncos. It works both ways. Yes he is more invested with the Broncos and I do think he is the type that he wants to stay here and the Broncos want him here but to me it is unfair to expect him to take that possibly $5 million less a year to stay with the Broncos out of loyalty.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess you can look at it your way .. But I think OZ loves the west .. He has lived there all his life once it is in your blood you get hooked ... If I was a Bronco I would take a home town just to live there ..

About the only other place I would not mind is Seattle ... but Denver Needs him ..and is a solid francise

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess you can look at it your way .. But I think OZ loves the west .. He has lived there all his life once it is in your blood you get hooked ... If I was a Bronco I would take a home town just to live there ..

About the only other place I would not mind is Seattle ... but Denver Needs him ..and is a solid francise

Again not saying don't take a home town discount. I think he would. But if some of the numbers I am hearing of what the Broncos are willing to pay and what other teams are willing to pay are even remotely true we are talking a very very large home town discount. If he went somewhere else for 10% over what the Broncos were offering him yeah I would say that is a huge mistake. He goes somewhere else that is offering him 33% over what the Broncos are willing to pay then yeah I would so good luck and I think it was the right decision.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one who hasn't already made multiple tens of millions of dollars, is taking a $1+ mil a year hometown discount. That is just not realistic.

A hometown discount might include less guaranteed money or upfront money, or maybe a more favorable contract structure for the team, but I seriously doubt a young player who hasn't made much money in his career would pass up a million or more a season to play with their current team.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can say then......You Dan MAN Simien !!!!! Mingo says your good enough to lead Denver back! ;)

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again not saying don't take a home town discount. I think he would. But if some of the numbers I am hearing of what the Broncos are willing to pay and what other teams are willing to pay are even remotely true we are talking a very very large home town discount. If he went somewhere else for 10% over what the Broncos were offering him yeah I would say that is a huge mistake. He goes somewhere else that is offering him 33% over what the Broncos are willing to pay then yeah I would so good luck and I think it was the right decision.

Harris and Wolf both could of had the back of a Brink truck ...They chose what would be best for there families and IMO the long haul of how long they are in the NFL

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can say then......You Dan MAN Simien !!!!! Mingo says your good enough to lead Denver back! ;)

I just knew you would get it eventually. ;)

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one who hasn't already made multiple tens of millions of dollars, is taking a $1+ mil a year hometown discount. That is just not realistic.

A hometown discount might include less guaranteed money or upfront money, or maybe a more favorable contract structure for the team, but I seriously doubt a young player who hasn't made much money in his career would pass up a million or more a season to play with their current team.

Look up Chris Harris and Wolfs Contracts ....Jackson scoffed at Wolfs contract . I am guessing he said what you said and he is no better player than Wolf .. Wolf was actually playing way better at that point ..

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harris and Wolf both could of had the back of a Brink truck ...They chose what would be best for there families and IMO the long haul of how long they are in the NFL

We are not talking something like a 33% discount to stay with the Broncos though. We are talking closer to a 10-15% discount to stay with the Broncos. They took a chance that being on a winning team at a cheaper price might actually increase their value say in endorsements or in some other way. It is a calculated risk. yes they liked Denver and yes some players are willing to take less to stay some place they like. I have had some job offers around the country that have offered a bit more than I am making but we like where we are because we are close to family. People make those kind of decisions all the time. Still I am sure some when offered say 33% more would want to take that job.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are not talking something like a 33% discount to stay with the Broncos though. We are talking closer to a 10-15% discount to stay with the Broncos. They took a chance that being on a winning team at a cheaper price might actually increase their value say in endorsements or in some other way. It is a calculated risk. yes they liked Denver and yes some players are willing to take less to stay some place they like. I have had some job offers around the country that have offered a bit more than I am making but we like where we are because we are close to family. People make those kind of decisions all the time. Still I am sure some when offered say 33% more would want to take that job.

Rumor around town is that Denver is not that concerned about Brock right now and that his icontract can be done in a day or two. I think both sides are prepped and ready to go if the market is what Elway thinks the market will be for Brock.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor around town is that Denver is not that concerned about Brock right now and that his icontract can be done in a day or two. I think both sides are prepped and ready to go if the market is what Elway thinks the market will be for Brock.
I'm hearing the same, Chris. It's a bit disingenuous for the Broncos to say they are waiting for Peyton to make his decision before talking to Oz. Maybe it's true they aren't talking to Oz. But I'd bet they are talking to his agent - who of course is talking to Oz.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ceiling: A 5 year Kap type contract - Not a lot guaranteed, under $20 mil, low to mid end starter salary with both escalators & de-escalators. Easy enough to get out of after the first year or two without taking a big cap hit.

Floor: A 3 year Foles type contract. Averages out to about $8-9 mil a season. A modest singing bonus with a low end year one salary & nothing guaranteed after year one. Roster bonuses that take up the bulk of the money owed to him in years two & three.
At the end of the day, this is fair and I think Brock's agent will see that as well when they don't get 8 other teams calling.