• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Would the BCS look like after 8 weeks?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize not all of them look good. And Wake WAS a top 35 team before they lost to Ga. Tech, they were 4-2, it's hardly ridiculous.
They were not one of the 35 best teams in the nation. They just weren't. They literally didn't have a single vote before that game to be ranked. They just weren't/aren't a good team.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of using the composite rankings period. I've made it clear why I think that. When you include 100+ rankings, many of which are absolutely absurd, I can't get on board with it.

I'm coming around on your efficiency rankings a little after actually doing some looking into how it's created, but it's obviously got it's flaws when looking at it as an end all/be all.

Every metric/computer isn't going to be the end all be all. I like the Massey because there are so many included. I like to be able to look at who's performing well, and who's had the best results.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were not one of the 35 best teams in the nation. They just weren't. They literally didn't have a single vote before that game to be ranked. They just weren't/aren't a good team.

That's because they're Wake and they were coming off 2 straight losses. After losing to Ga. Tech, I wouldn't consider them a top 35 team, but they are still a top 50 team. They have a tough close to the season, so if they even finished 6-6, I would still consider them a top 50-55 team.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every metric/computer isn't going to be the end all be all. I like the Massey because there are so many included. I like to be able to look at who's performing well, and who's had the best results.
That's where we differ. I'm not interested in using rankings that have the input of rankings that are just flat out ridiculous, as a large number of the ones in Massey are. I mean, in what world is Alabama not a top 2 team? 22 of the composite rankings have them out of the top 2, with several having them 5th or worst. That's just retarded.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because they're Wake and they were coming off 2 straight losses. After losing to Ga. Tech, I wouldn't consider them a top 35 team, but they are still a top 50 team. They have a tough close to the season, so if they even finished 6-6, I would still consider them a top 50-55 team.
Why? What have they done that's worth anything? Again, they also got a very bad FCS team on their schedule, a 1-point win over Appy State, and then wins over Boston College and Utah State. How is this a top 35 resume??

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where we differ. I'm not interested in using rankings that have the input of rankings that are just flat out ridiculous, as a large number of the ones in Massey are. I mean, in what world is Alabama not a top 2 team? 22 of the composite rankings have them out of the top 2, with several having them 5th or worst. That's just retarded.

Even if you took out those, the overall rankings wouldn't adjust much if at all, which is my point. Are there rankings better than others, sure I think so, I generally prefer to look at Massey, Sagarin and Colley. Sagarin is more performance based, Colley is more SOS based, and Massey appears to be a combination. I also like the efficiency rankings. Efficiency and Sagarin, I liken to what KenPom is with college basketball, if you're familiar with him.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you took out those, the overall rankings wouldn't adjust much if at all, which is my point. Are there rankings better than others, sure I think so, I generally prefer to look at Massey, Sagarin and Colley. Sagarin is more performance based, Colley is more SOS based, and Massey appears to be a combination. I also like the efficiency rankings. Efficiency and Sagarin, I liken to what KenPom is with college basketball, if you're familiar with him.
I am familiar with the Pomeroy rankings, just not as much as the CFB ones.

Also, both the efficiency and Sagarin rankings have OSU at 2. So how is it so absurd that I have them 4th? I believe this was the crux of this entire discussion.

Hoopla Cash
$ 385,552.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prove it, immediately

I am awaiting this proof. Ya know, for science.

d14b4f2cee3994d1f180f2ef4342b697--selfies-poses-instagram-instagram-poses-friends.jpg
NSFW
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? What have they done that's worth anything? Again, they also got a very bad FCS team on their schedule, a 1-point win over Appy State, and then wins over Boston College and Utah State. How is this a top 35 resume??

It's a mixture of performance and results, as bad as USU, Presbyterian and BC(who's played better as of late) are, they blew them all out, and won on the road against Appy St, which is currently a 2 loss G5 team whose other loss was at UGA. The 14 point loss to Ga. Tech to me is more alarming than the other 2 losses, which is why they dropped from being a top 35 team in Massey Composite IMO.

Hoopla Cash
$ 385,552.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....and we are still waiting!

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a mixture of performance and results, as bad as USU, Presbyterian and BC(who's played better as of late) are, they blew them all out, and won on the road against Appy St, which is currently a 2 loss G5 team whose other loss was at UGA. The 14 point loss to Ga. Tech to me is more alarming than the other 2 losses, which is why they dropped from being a top 35 team in Massey Composite IMO.
The BC game wasn't as big a blowout as you think. They were dead even from a yards perspective and had more first downs, but when you have 4 TOs while Wake has 0, this is what happens. Also, you realize how this is a bit hypocritical of you, talking about big wins over absolutely horrible teams and acting like they're relevant and make Wake a top 35 team, while I point out OSU blowing out P5 teams and 6-2 Army even worse and you don't act like it matters.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am familiar with the Pomeroy rankings, just not as much as the CFB ones.

Also, both the efficiency and Sagarin rankings have OSU at 2. So how is it so absurd that I have them 4th? I believe this was the crux of this entire discussion.

Sagarin and efficiency are similar to KenPom, so it's no surprise they're ranked as high in both those rankings. I personally think that's absurd because I have an RPI mindset when it comes to rankings teams. Much like KenPom, Sagarin and efficiency are good indicators of future performance. Because of that, I'm not surprised Ohio State is favored and it wouldn't surprise me to see Ohio State win by 7-10 or so. But part of my mindset, is why I ranked teams like Clemson and ND ahead of Ohio State in my rankings this week. We still have 45% of the regular season left, so at this point, I think it's best to pretty much do a 50/50 of performance/results. Obviously beating PSU, Ohio State will have a result worth matching their performance, and because of that, it wouldn't surprise if come Monday they are the highest ranked 1 loss team in the Massey Composite.

Edit - And perhaps ranked above some 0 loss teams as well.

Last edited:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BC game wasn't as big a blowout as you think. They were dead even from a yards perspective and had more first downs, but when you have 4 TOs while Wake has 0, this is what happens. Also, you realize how this is a bit hypocritical of you, talking about big wins over absolutely horrible teams and acting like they're relevant and make Wake a top 35 team, while I point out OSU blowing out P5 teams and 6-2 Army even worse and you don't act like it matters.

It's not being hypocritical at all. I have Ohio State ranked 8th, despite not having won any game of significance(Army being their best) because of their overwhelmingly great play the last month against that lousy competition. I just think being ranked 4th is too high, from a results/performance perspective this early in the season. Read the post above for more of an explanation.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sagarin and efficiency are similar to KenPom, so it's no surprise they're ranked as high in both those rankings. I personally think that's absurd because I have an RPI mindset when it comes to rankings teams. Much like KenPom, Sagarin and efficiency are good indicators of future performance. Because of that, I'm not surprised Ohio State is favored and it wouldn't surprise me to see Ohio State win by 7-10 or so. But part of my mindset, is why I ranked teams like Clemson and ND ahead of Ohio State in my rankings this week. We still have 45% of the regular season left, so at this point, I think it's best to pretty much do a 50/50 of performance/results. Obviously beating PSU, Ohio State will have a result worth matching their performance, and because of that, it wouldn't surprise if come Monday they are the highest ranked 1 loss team in the Massey Composite.

Edit - And perhaps ranked above some 0 loss teams as well.
This is fair. I actually don't disagree with you.