• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What trades will Woody make? Gallo? Soto? Deadline approaches as the Rangers visit Mike Trout in the hospital

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the point was you're probably not going to miss them...
Well, I don't recall saying I would. I guess that is why I didn't associate what you replied as having anything to do with what I had remarked. Lol

We have traded away Sammy Sosa, Wilson Alvarez, Bill Madlock, Dave Stewart, Dave Righetti, Ron Darling, Walt Terrell, Pedro Strop, John Danks, Emanuel Clase, and several others that were missed after we traded them away. The front office makes some mistakes on who they trade away sometimes. We just better hope they don't make mistakes too often over the next few months.

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a great article on The Athletic that details the problems of pushing the draft back to mid July from early June. Here are some excerpts.

“Having the draft during the All-Star Game,” Clark intoned in his trademark deliberate cadence, “presents some challenges.”

Nearly two weeks after the draft’s first round, “some challenges” appears to be quite the diplomatic understatement. Privately, many people throughout the game express much more strident criticisms, and it’s not hard to find a person in the baseball ecosystem willing to share one. “It all feels like it doesn’t add up well,” says one scouting director. “It’s not really in the spirit of developing prospects,” says a director-level staffer with another team. A July draft simply makes life harder for a lot of people in the game. ...

A July draft unnecessarily lengthens an already drawn-out scouting process and hamstrings player development, they say. With the draft now so proximate to the trade deadline, front office staffers involved in both now face a tsunami of work in a tight window of time.

With draft picks still signing and the trade deadline just days away, those staffers are in the thick of it. Nonetheless, eight people involved in different aspects of the game — from agents to scouting and player development directors to executives at the very top of the baseball operations food chain — made time this week to share their thoughts with The Athletic. All were granted anonymity so they could speak freely about MLB’s decision to squeeze the draft into All-Star week.

The majority feel the new draft calendar creates more problems than it solves. The timing, one director-level staffer says, is “a very careless thing” that affects everyone in the game “down to the intern level.” Marketing baseball, some feel, has taken priority over the baseball itself. ...

The proximity of the draft to the trade deadline is annoying, although most in baseball admit that few trades get done until the last minute anyway. “Teams don’t ever press to do anything until they’re forced to,” one executive says. A bigger impending deadline is the end of the minor-league season, which now comes too quickly after the draft — late August for the complex leagues and mid-September for A-ball — to offer much chance for drafted players to see the field the rest of the year.

That creates myriad issues in the player development realm. Many players, especially high schoolers, have been idle for more than a month, and ramping them back up is a challenge in such a compressed window. (One agent speculated that such a layoff might have contributed to the shoulder injury suffered by No. 2 pick Druw Jones in his first professional batting practice session.) College position players usually make it onto the field, but many of this year’s drafted pitchers — especially prep ones — will have to wait until 2023 to log more than a smattering of innings.

As a result, many teams have transitioned to more of a rookie orientation program — with biometric testing and the ability to work on skills in a lab setting — rather than one that aims to transition draftees onto the field as quickly as possible. Combined with lessons learned from the alternate sites in 2020, those new programs aren’t necessarily a negative, and teams might continue such an approach even if the draft were moved back to June. “That’s an important piece of how we do things now,” says one farm director. “In some ways, it helps because you don’t feel forced to get guys ready to play right away.” But with those players not playing, who is?

Worse players, says one director of player personnel. Teams are allowed to up to 180 active minor leaguers, and while a later draft may allow some near the chopping block to play themselves off the bubble, many will nonetheless be jettisoned for draft picks at some point. With the complex leagues starting at the same time, in early June, that means the level of play has lagged. “The early parts of your ACL and FCL seasons are really rough quality of baseball,” says one baseball operations staffer.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could just move the All Star game to mid-June.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I get that only a small percentage become regular big leaguers. I just didn't understand it in conjunction with my remark.

I was just remarking how we might see a log jam now, but after trades there won't be nearly as many of those guys available to fit in.

I definitely get that only the small percentage will amount to much in the big leagues. That is why it is wise to accumulate as many good prospects as you can. It is also why it is imperative that the front office is able to know which to keep and which to trade.
I agree about the possible logjam we will have at some positions. That is part of the reason I am okay with trading a prospect here and there.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no reason why the Rangers have to trade for a pitcher any time soon.
I am okay with it if they are under team control for about 4 more years.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not just move the draft and all star game to July 1st?
Draft July 1st. HomeRun Derby July 2 All Star Game July 3rd and then off day for everyone July 4th and 5th.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith sits

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft July 1st. HomeRun Derby July 2 All Star Game July 3rd and then off day for everyone July 4th and 5th.
I think it is an unwritten rule that they have to have the ASG on Tuesday, but it could still be close.

They definitely want to play games on July 4th if possible.

For development of the drafted players I think even July 1st is late.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Musgrove and the Pads are in agreement on a 5 yr $100 million contract extension
One less “elite” pitcher on the FA market this off-season.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are just way too many Rangers fans that would accept a 3rd place team as long as they got to watch guys they know.
Probably so. I find all this all quite ironic. And now Gallo has no room and they are seeking compensation which is crazy thinking

Gallo lives in shame and owns it. Just feeling sorry for him or liking his personality surely does not mean he deserves a shot. Still we have a few low achievers. And yes they need to be replaced with winning pieces

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ha a bit of word flair

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they get down to 2 strikes against Sandoval just sit on the change up. He throws it 80% of the time he has 2 strikes on the batter.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe he needs the day off to regroup

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash