• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What The.................?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers GM Lynch makes it clear: Jimmy G is 'our quarterback'

Are you kidding me? He wasn't too bad against Tampa even though he missed some receivers and made one horrendous gaffe. But since when is completing 2/3rds of your passes and throwing 4 TD passes (three called back through no fault of his own) unacceptable. And does anyone think Mullens could have made that TD throw to Richie James?
Mullens is an acceptable substitute, but Garoppolo should be given every opportunity as the starter until he shows that he cannot cut it.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what Lynch means is "he is our QB b/c my job depends on it."

Lynch has been a very shaky GM so far and he has to be worried about his job. He paid a ton to Grop and McKinnon and the former is inconsistent while the latter hasn't played a single game in 2 years. Signed both Verret and Ward, neither of whom can stay healthy, etc.

His first 2 first rounders have done nothing (Thomas, Foster). Worse, He can't talk Kyle out of trying to show everyone how smart he is on draft day--trading up for Beathard (barely made the team), traded out of the spot where Kamara was taken just so we could trade back up to get J.Williams (out of the NFL) and when Williams failed, we spent a ton on McKinnon. We saw that same pattern play out in the 2018 draft when Kyle moved up for Pettis, another move that looks like it's going nowhere.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lynch has been a very shaky GM so far and he has to be worried about his job. He paid a ton to Grop and McKinnon and the former is inconsistent while the latter hasn't played a single game in 2 years. Signed both Verret and Ward, neither of whom can stay healthy, etc.

His first 2 first rounders have done nothing (Thomas, Foster). Worse, He can't talk Kyle out of trying to show everyone how smart he is on draft day--trading up for Beathard (barely made the team), traded out of the spot where Kamara was taken just so we could trade back up to get J.Williams (out of the NFL) and when Williams failed, we spent a ton on McKinnon. We saw that same pattern play out in the 2018 draft when Kyle moved up for Pettis, another move that looks like it's going nowhere.
Well, Lynch is an amateur, we knew that going in. Never had any kind of front office job. I think he is expected to learn on the job; that’s why he got the 6-year contract

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Pierre Garcon and Malcom Smith did nothing either. Aanyway, future injuries isn't something you can predict prior to free agency, so that shouldn't count.

Yes, the Thomas and Foster picks are hurting us now. These two picks are supposed to be playing at their primes, even if not at these two spots.

Can't help wonder if Shannahan needs to reduce his influence during the draft? Yes, Joe Williams and Beathard are two good examples.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers GM Lynch makes it clear: Jimmy G is 'our quarterback'

Are you kidding me? He wasn't too bad against Tampa even though he missed some receivers and made one horrendous gaffe. But since when is completing 2/3rds of your passes and throwing 4 TD passes (three called back through no fault of his own) unacceptable. And does anyone think Mullens could have made that TD throw to Richie James?
Mullens is an acceptable substitute, but Garoppolo should be given every opportunity as the starter until he shows that he cannot cut it.

I like Mullens but as a backup. He has his limitations which makes him a questionable starter. They are hitched to Jimmy G. If it isn't him then they are going to need to figure something else out. The clock is ticking however. They are in year 3.

This is a good read on Mullens if you haven't seen it yet.

Top Nick Mullens takeaways from PFF’s QB Annual

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mullens but as a backup. He has his limitations which makes him a questionable starter. They are hitched to Jimmy G. If it isn't him then they are going to need to figure something else out. The clock is ticking however. They are in year 3.

This is a good read on Mullens if you haven't seen it yet.

Top Nick Mullens takeaways from PFF’s QB Annual
That's good info and pretty much what I thought of Mullens. He will get better with experience but his lack of arm strength and inaccuracy on long throws is a major drawback.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pierre Garcon and Malcom Smith did nothing either. Aanyway, future injuries isn't something you can predict prior to free agency, so that shouldn't count.

Yes, the Thomas and Foster picks are hurting us now. These two picks are supposed to be playing at their primes, even if not at these two spots.

Can't help wonder if Shannahan needs to reduce his influence during the draft? Yes, Joe Williams and Beathard are two good examples.

I'm not too mad at how Lynch has constructed this team. The only pick that I haven't liked and/or understood is Thomas, but even then, he was a consensus top 10 that year. Foster was a top 3 talent that fell to the bottom of the 1st round so I understood that risk/reward pick. Beathard and Williams may have been a stretch, but there have been plenty of picks that have worked out better than expected. Kittle, Warner, Greenlaw (so far), Witherspoon, Brieda, Mostert, and a slew of others that were picked in the mid-late rounds or not picked at all but signed as UDFA who have become major players on this team.

When looking at Malcolm Smith, Garcon, and other FA...I think some people forget just how bad our roster actually was a few years ago. We had virtually nothing but a K and a P, with lots of "I hope it works out" pieces so it made sense that we would have to overpay to get established vets, even average ones, to hop onto the sunken ship this organization was prior to Lynch and Shanahan.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The draft as revisionist history is a dangerous game. Kamara, as in the third round pick that EVERY team passed on....twice? Even Bellichek passed on Kamara twice while in desperate need of a RB. You think he would have waited until the 3rd round to draft Kamara if he had known how good Kamara actually was? Doubtful. I get that Lynch bombed on Thomas and Foster. How are Kittle and Brieda working out? Witherspoon and Warner doing ok? Questioning the Pettis pick is interesting...did you not see the promise last season? How are Pettis' injuries somehow the litmus towards Lynch's value as a GM. His job is to spot talent. I believe he has done a good job of that overall.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, the OP's link is basically a problem in our society......a few words leads to twitter and blog blowups and paranoia everywhere. Jimmy Garoppolo is the starting QB of the 49ers who is coming off a major injury, still young in playing ways, and learning a complicated offense. In a 'drive-thru' world where everyone's gotta have it instantly, he's a bust. In the actual, real world, he is 7-2 as the starter, and a large part of that is because of the QB himself.

Secondly, John Lynch may not be GM of the year or anything, but it's easy to say 'told you' after the fact when in fact, you didn't say anything against the decisions at the time. To complain about something like McKinnon is kinda ridiculous. He's made decisions that yes, I don't agree with, but this team started at the bottom of the barrel, and worked it's way down to clean out guys. Now they are building the team, and it's still incomplete. They need to start winning games this year, and if they can stay reasonably healthy, I expect them to do as such. If they're still a 4/5/6 win team with most of the components playing a relatively full season, then I'll revisit my beliefs.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too mad at how Lynch has constructed this team. The only pick that I haven't liked and/or understood is Thomas, but even then, he was a consensus top 10 that year. Foster was a top 3 talent that fell to the bottom of the 1st round so I understood that risk/reward pick. Beathard and Williams may have been a stretch, but there have been plenty of picks that have worked out better than expected. Kittle, Warner, Greenlaw (so far), Witherspoon, Brieda, Mostert, and a slew of others that were picked in the mid-late rounds or not picked at all but signed as UDFA who have become major players on this team.

When looking at Malcolm Smith, Garcon, and other FA...I think some people forget just how bad our roster actually was a few years ago. We had virtually nothing but a K and a P, with lots of "I hope it works out" pieces so it made sense that we would have to overpay to get established vets, even average ones, to hop onto the sunken ship this organization was prior to Lynch and Shanahan.
I agree about Foster. I thought he was the top player in the draft. Too bad he couldn't behave himself.