• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What the Lions really are

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, we were never the 2nd best team in the NFC going into yesterday's game. We were top 7. And sometimes, top 7 teams lose. GB, who I consider a top 7 also(maybe even top 2 at this point) got beat by us. It happens.

I was extremely pissed at the ref-job yesterday, but the fact remains that our offense, once again, struggled to move the ball. Horrible calls or not, an offense with the caliber of weapons we have shouldn't be struggling this bad.

Our D is definitely for real. Is it the league's best or even the NFC's best? No. But we've got a D to be proud of and that hasn't happened here in a long time. However, our offense will hold us back from either a run in the playoffs or actually making the playoffs. I can't even believe I am saying those words.

And does anybody remember when Stan Kwan was here? What a change we have had in ST overall. Our FG kicking still scares me every time Prater runs out there, but our punt and kickoff return/coverage is leaps and bounds better than what we had with Kwan.

Either way, I'm still happy with our defensive progress, and the weapons we have on offense. Getting those weapons to produce consistently is going to be the key. Can Caldwell and Lombardi get it done over the next 6 weeks? Dunno.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horrible calls or not, an offense with the caliber of weapons we have shouldn't be struggling this bad.

Agreed. I think this comes down to some of the same things the Falcons are struggling with. You can have all the weapons in the world on offense, but if your offensive line play is terrible -- not much you can do about it.

Our play calling has been terrible this year, but we don't have much of a choice, as Caldwell was the OC of the worst offense in football last year. So we just have to ride this year out. My guess is -- Lombardi won't be the OC next year.

Our D is definitely for real.

Agreed -- who would have thought at the beginning of the year we'd be saying -- imagine how bad off we'd be without the defense.

It is a crying shame to waste the stellar performance our defense has been giving us.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard to beat the refs also, however with the personnel on offense two FG's is unacceptable. Yes AZ has a great defense. The stats showed they were stout against the run and weaker against the pass, and yet for some fucked up reason we tried and tried to beat them with a run game.

The run with Riddick befuddled me on 3rd and 1. Yet when down at the one they give it to Collins when the world knew it was coming. He gets three yards. SMH.

Defense did its job yesterday. Hold a team to 14 no way you can place blame there. Offense seems very predictable again. I was loving that coaches seemed to help Stafford with turnovers and decision making. They may have jerked the reigns too far. Never liked the gunslinger Matt, just need to open him up a bit IMO

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah our offense has been just so frustratingly inconsistent. i still put the bulk of this frustration on the offensive line injuries and the lack of cohesion that has created. we are still a good team though and i am much happier and relieved that we are counting/waiting on the offense to turn it around rather than the defense that hasn't shown up in the last 15 years.
plus it is the nfl and good teams lose i mean who the fuck saw the broncos dropping to st louis (who have the same record as us just saying).

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense did its job yesterday. Hold a team to 14 no way you can place blame there. Offense seems very predictable again. I was loving that coaches seemed to help Stafford with turnovers and decision making. They may have jerked the reigns too far. Never liked the gunslinger Matt, just need to open him up a bit IMO.

Absolutely agree. Poor start on D, but then held an 8-1 team playing at home scoreless for 3.5 quarters. That's keeping your team in the game and giving your offense a chance to win. The continual run-first mentality was befuddling. You want to establish the run, fine. But when you're still trailing in the 2nd half, open things up for chrissakes.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard to beat the refs also, however with the personnel on offense two FG's is unacceptable. Yes AZ has a great defense. The stats showed they were stout against the run and weaker against the pass, and yet for some fucked up reason we tried and tried to beat them with a run game.

:10:. The Lions are 31st in rushing. Cards are 3rd against the rush and 29th against the pass. We were behind THE WHOLE GAME. Why cant we just start the game no huddle, 4 and 5 wide sets and just start passing. What is the point of spending a top 10 pick on a pass a catcher. Spending 30+ million in free agency on another pass catcher and another 100+ million on Megatron to try and set up the run against an elite run defense?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The run with Riddick befuddled me on 3rd and 1. Yet when down at the one they give it to Collins when the world knew it was coming. He gets three yards. SMH.

Defense did its job yesterday. Hold a team to 14 no way you can place blame there. Offense seems very predictable again. I was loving that coaches seemed to help Stafford with turnovers and decision making. They may have jerked the reigns too far. Never liked the gunslinger Matt, just need to open him up a bit IMO

"Seemed" is exactly what it is. Caldwell hasn't cut down on Staffs turnovers. Lombardi hasn't cut down on the picks. Last year Staff threw 19 picks, which sucks. He has 9 so far. Seems like he's improving, right? Nope. Last year after ten games, he had thrown 8. He threw 11 in his last six games. And had that five fumble- no pick game at Philly.

The turnover situation is much the same as the penalty situation. An illusion.

Winter is coming.....

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed -- who would have thought at the beginning of the year we'd be saying -- imagine how bad off we'd be without the defense.

It is a crying shame to waste the stellar performance our defense has been giving us.

I would have thought it. I was telling you guys that all offseason that the offense stunk and the defense played well the second half of last year.

As soon as we got away from the old crap-9 and made the nickle our base, we were much better than average. It was just a question of whether our personell fit into Austin's system.

In Austin we trust.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:10:. The Lions are 31st in rushing. Cards are 3rd against the rush and 29th against the pass. We were behind THE WHOLE GAME. Why cant we just start the game no huddle, 4 and 5 wide sets and just start passing. What is the point of spending a top 10 pick on a pass a catcher. Spending 30+ million in free agency on another pass catcher and another 100+ million on Megatron to try and set up the run against an elite run defense?

You think we can overload the right side and force em to cover Tweeter one on one?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Seemed" is exactly what it is. Caldwell hasn't cut down on Staffs turnovers. Lombardi hasn't cut down on the picks. Last year Staff threw 19 picks, which sucks. He has 9 so far. Seems like he's improving, right? Nope. Last year after ten games, he had thrown 8. He threw 11 in his last six games. And had that five fumble- no pick game at Philly.

The turnover situation is much the same as the penalty situation. An illusion.

Winter is coming.....

I guess when you put it that way with numbers that are concrete it s hard to rebutt.

Winter coming my ass. Waking up in the bayou to 26 degrees and highs of 43. No illusions, that fucking ole man is here.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, finished 2-6 in November and December. With those picks and fumbles I mentioned.

2012, lost our last 8. 6TDs and 7 picks in December for Stafford.

2011, 10TDs and only 1 pick. Chucking the absolute shit outta the ball. Went 3-2 in the regular season after Dec 1st, with just under 2000 yards passing.

Im a big fan of not forcing things that aren't there. Id rather punt, play for field position and trust a strong defense. But.... We gotta score to win. And Caldwell needs to fucking figure out what his Lions really are. 2-14 the last two years in Nov and Dec, that pathetic offensive effort yesterday and a trip to Foxboro has left my optimism running on fumes.

Im considering going to Popeyes for the first time. Not a gas station with shrimp for 800 miles.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hate when coaches try to force things and do things that just arent there. Lions need to stop with this run first crap and run high percentage pass plays early and often. Im always interested in games like this because our "weapons" must show up and most times they dont for whatever reason. I dont see the play calling being more of an issue than the oline and penalties that continue to kill drives.

But right now, we will see if this team has what it takes to make a run. Im more than interested to see how the team responds to this loss and moving forward.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think your defense is a top D in the league. You shut down our vertical passing attack for 3 quarters and in the second half I think we only ran for 3 yards. The cards are extremely tough to beat at home and it was a one score game for three quarters. Don't be surprised if the game against NE is very close.

The Lions are a top team in the NFC. Keep winning and don't let the Packers win the division. You beat them once, you can do it again.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh in the house at Crisler tonight. Didn't seem too worried about the current state of affairs. :suds:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have thought it. I was telling you guys that all offseason that the offense stunk and the defense played well the second half of last year.

As soon as we got away from the old crap-9 and made the nickle our base, we were much better than average. It was just a question of whether our personell fit into Austin's system.

In Austin we trust.

You and me both OL. It seems MikeD has selective memory.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of talk dogging the run Sunday, when it was pretty much our best running game of the year. Bell had two 20+ yard runs and averaged 6.1 YPC.

If anything Sunday we should have ran him more, because he was highly effective when he got looks.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may have to run more because it is obvious that the pass blocking is not improving.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In Austin we trust.

You don't count OL -- you also said Jacksonville was going to win their division.:whistle:

I'm just messing with you. I apologize if you had said our defense was going to carry us this year. I didn't remember seeing anyone say that.

As far as how the offense fared last year -- every WR missed multiple games. Our #2 is now a practice squad player for Tennessee, last I checked, yet they still finished top 5 in total offense. We added Golden Tate and spent the #10 pick on a TE -- not sure why you felt the offense was going to be the issue.

Detroit's offense stunk last year because of turnovers. That changes from year to year. Moving the ball was never the issue -- it was securing the ball by our backs and stopping our QB from throwing INT's.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may have to run more because it is obvious that the pass blocking is not improving.

This is what I just don't get. Pass protection was the one thing the offensive line did well. All of a sudden, they are brutal. Arizona hasn't pressured the QB all year and we made them look like the 85 bears (that is an exaggeration, of course).

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I just don't get. Pass protection was the one thing the offensive line did well. All of a sudden, they are brutal. Arizona hasn't pressured the QB all year and we made them look like the 85 bears (that is an exaggeration, of course).

Stafford made the line look better than they were at the price of looking worse himself.

This offense is just bad. Railoa is a vet and often appears lost in both run blocking and pass pro.