• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Should the Cleveland Browns Do With the #2 Pick?

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd try to trade down with the 9ers or Eagles and draft Treadwell. But they'll probably do something dumb.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel slightly more confident since Farmer isn't there. I sincerely cannot think of how he managed to keep his job that long after fucking up over and over and over again. He was the worst GM I've ever seen.

nope that award goes to Matt Millen

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Goff is their guy and he is gone then try to trade back a little if they really want more picks but Tunsil is sitting right there and he has graded out the best player in the draft by many. Maybe they should try building a O-line that can protect a QB before drafting 1 that will get shell-shocked like David Carr down in Houston did.

Being drafted by Cleveland is the kiss of Death for a QB and I would not blame any QB that said NO! I am not playing in Cleveland. Maybe not politically correct but it could be better to sit out a season than have your career go down in flames being on the Browns. The Rookie wage scale makes it much more palatable to lose a year if a player truly believes this is the best for his future.

Great fans in Cleveland but the team has never recovered since being brought back. Management has been terrible to be polite.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast that he believes the Browns were never going to take a quarterback near the top of the first round, even before the Rams-Titans trade.

The Browns are known to prefer Jared Goff over Carson Wentz, but that doesn't mean they would take Goff at No. 2 even were he available. Schefter suggested that Cleveland benefited from the Tennessee-Los Angeles trade, and is now open for business at the No. 2 pick. Schefter also explained what he believes to be the Browns' plan, "building up" supporting-cast pieces before investing in a potential franchise quarterback. Schefter named the Eagles, 49ers, and Jets as three teams that might be potential trade partners with Cleveland at No. 2."-Rotoworld

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will trade it for a dime bag and an ounce of cocaine. Got to keep Johnny happy

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Goff is their guy and he is gone then try to trade back a little if they really want more picks but Tunsil is sitting right there and he has graded out the best player in the draft by many. Maybe they should try building a O-line that can protect a QB before drafting 1 that will get shell-shocked like David Carr down in Houston did.

Being drafted by Cleveland is the kiss of Death for a QB and I would not blame any QB that said NO! I am not playing in Cleveland. Maybe not politically correct but it could be better to sit out a season than have your career go down in flames being on the Browns. The Rookie wage scale makes it much more palatable to lose a year if a player truly believes this is the best for his future.

Great fans in Cleveland but the team has never recovered since being brought back. Management has been terrible to be polite.

It may suck to play in Cleveland, but it's difficult to walk away R1 pick #2 money.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may suck to play in Cleveland, but it's difficult to walk away R1 pick #2 money.

oh I understand but with the right resolve and Talent it is still possible that it happens and the Player gets to guide where it might be best to land .

Cleveland is not the villain in this the owners and management are.
I would love to watch the Browns compete again but until they get competent people in place for more than 1 contract : Why would any player honestly want to play in Cleveland?

JMHO

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh I understand but with the right resolve and Talent it is still possible that it happens and the Player gets to guide where it might be best to land .

Cleveland is not the villain in this the owners and management are.
I would love to watch the Browns compete again but until they get competent people in place for more than 1 contract : Why would any player honestly want to play in Cleveland?

JMHO
This would be career suicide in this day and age of the NFL. Having a young man tell me "I'd rather not play football for a full year than take on a challenge" tells me two things -

A. He doesn't love football that much
B. He's very weak mentally

This will never happen.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not against Cleveland trading the pick if they don't think the QBs listed are franchise worthy. Actually in favor of the idea, especially if they can land a deal like Tennessee got for their pick. Trading with Philly at #8 seems like a pretty solid option.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not against Cleveland trading the pick if they don't think the QBs listed are franchise worthy. Actually in favor of the idea, especially if they can land a deal like Tennessee got for their pick. Trading with Philly at #8 seems like a pretty solid option.

Anything close to that and #2 should be sold!

It's pretty much mandatory the FO hits starting with this draft class if the Browns are to be anything more than a punch line for another 5 yrs.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything close to that and #2 should be sold!

It's pretty much mandatory the FO hits starting with this draft class if the Browns are to be anything more than a punch line for another 5 yrs.

It all begins and ends with the draft. The former front offices epically swung and missed on nearly every first round pick they had. Their 1st round draft picks from '12-'14 can be categorized as nothing short of abysmal failures (seems only Mingo has a shot at turning things around and being a productive player next season). Recipe for failure. It's still too early to tell how last year's 1st rounders will turn out, at the very least they were on the field a lot as rookies.

I guess we will see how it goes. Philly doesn't have enough trade bait to make it work though...now that I looked at it, it will likely be a different team if the trade happens.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nope that award goes to Matt Millen

He might be the worst of all time in any sport. Mike Milbury is up there as well from the hockey end. Probably just best to avoid guys with the initials M,M

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all begins and ends with the draft. The former front offices epically swung and missed on nearly every first round pick they had. Their 1st round draft picks from '12-'14 can be categorized as nothing short of abysmal failures (seems only Mingo has a shot at turning things around and being a productive player next season). Recipe for failure. It's still too early to tell how last year's 1st rounders will turn out, at the very least they were on the field a lot as rookies.

I guess we will see how it goes. Philly doesn't have enough trade bait to make it work though, it will likely be a different team if the trade happens.

Yep...a lot of IFs and what not, but, I think the Browns need a 5 yr stretch with the same regime...GM/HC/QB...it would be nice if RG3 were that QB since he's under-contract, but it wouldn't be very Browns-like for that to happen.

I think they may have retained the DC so I would think the 3-4 scheme is going forward...I like Shelton, needs some playmakers around him...Erving has his work cut out for him replacing Mack @ C if that's the direction they go.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...a lot of IFs and what not, but, I think the Browns need a 5 yr stretch with the same regime...GM/HC/QB...it would be nice if RG3 were that QB since he's under-contract, but it wouldn't be very Browns-like for that to happen.

I think they may have retained the DC so I would think the 3-4 scheme is going forward...I like Shelton, needs some playmakers around him...Erving has his work cut out for him replacing Mack @ C if that's the direction they go.

I think that's the plan and part of the reason he was drafted. Don't think they thought they would re-sign Mack.

If they stay at 2, I would be fairly surprised if they didn't take either Goff or Wentz. If they trade, then it's anyone's guess.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's the plan and part of the reason he was drafted. Don't think they thought they would re-sign Mack.

If they stay at 2, I would be fairly surprised if they didn't take either Goff or Wentz. If they trade, then it's anyone's guess.

Yeah...I remember them talking about that LY when he was drafted that Mack made it known he might opt out...at least he gave them some heads up...I'm hearing now that he was the locker room leader so to speak...I thought they tried him at G for a little LY...maybe I'm wrong on that.

With Philly, to swap I would take a 2nd, & 4th this yr and 3rd and 5th next yr.

With all of the talk of how this is a weak QB class...the top 3 are going to go quicker than people realize. I agree...if CLE stays @ 2...they will go QB, and Lynch to drop to SF @ 12.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...I remember them talking about that LY when he was drafted that Mack made it known he might opt out...at least he gave them some heads up...I'm hearing now that he was the locker room leader so to speak...I thought they tried him at G for a little LY...maybe I'm wrong on that.

With Philly, to swap I would take a 2nd, & 4th this yr and 3rd and 5th next yr.

With all of the talk of how this is a weak QB class...the top 3 are going to go quicker than people realize. I agree...if CLE stays @ 2...they will go QB, and Lynch to drop to SF @ 12.

Yeah, he played guard for a bit and center for a few short spells during the season.

Problem with the philly swap is they have no 2nd rounder this year since they traded it away as part of the Bradford deal last year, so the deal doesn't make sense from a Browns perspective. Also, Philly apparently is targeting Elliott in the draft. He SHOULD be around at 8 overall, no need for them to jump to 2 for a RB I wouldn't think.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he played guard for a bit and center for a few short spells during the season.

Problem with the philly swap is they have no 2nd rounder this year since they traded it away as part of the Bradford deal last year, so the deal doesn't make sense from a Browns perspective. Also, Philly apparently is targeting Elliott in the draft. He SHOULD be around at 8 overall, no need for them to jump to 2 for a RB I wouldn't think.

Duh...looking at my SportsHoopla mock spreadsheet...it was all set up for the real draft then we had a bunch trades and I tried to keep it up to date and never saved it under a new name.

PHI would have to buck up the '17 1st rounder then, but you're right, RB will be there at 8 and I think they know that as well so if they did try to go to 2...they would go QB.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be career suicide in this day and age of the NFL. Having a young man tell me "I'd rather not play football for a full year than take on a challenge" tells me two things -

A. He doesn't love football that much
B. He's very weak mentally

This will never happen.

they said the same thing about Elway and Eli

I respectfully disagree