• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Should the Cleveland Browns Do With the #2 Pick?

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"According to Alex Marvez of Fox Sports, the Eagles and Browns have set the framework for a potential trade involving the No. 2 pick.

Per Marvez, the Eagles would give up first and third round picks in 2016 and 2017. The Eagles are reportedly enamored with North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz and they'll probably have to trade up to No. 2 to get him. Then again, the Eagles have also shown keen interest in Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott, who they might be able to grab at No. 8. If the two sides can't reach an agreement, the Eagles could try trading up to No. 3. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that the Chargers are shopping their pick."- rotoworld

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland should trade down and fleece some team like the Titans did the Rams.

They got holes all over the field right now. There is no point drafting a QB if he's got nothing to throw to or nothing to protect him.

Build a team up via the draft the next two years, then go spend a draft pick in the 1st couple rounds on a QB.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland should trade down and fleece some team like the Titans did the Rams.

They got holes all over the field right now. There is no point drafting a QB if he's got nothing to throw to or nothing to protect him.

Build a team up via the draft the next two years, then go spend a draft pick in the 1st couple rounds on a QB.
If they can find a trade partner this would be wise. They'll still end up at the bottom and can shoot for that QB next year.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they said the same thing about Elway and Eli

I respectfully disagree
Did either of them sit out a season? They were able to get traded, but if they hadn't, they would've played.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
take the Eagles trade if its true. eagles 1st rd and 2 3rds and next years 2nd.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cleveland thinks the QB at #2 is not good, I think his chances of becoming elite just skyrocketed.

Butch Davis, former Browns head coach and executive vice president, 2001-04: "Everybody recognized he was an enormous physical talent. There couldn't have been a worse day during his workout. It became apparent he could put on a show. It was cold, it was blustery, kind of drizzly, like every Sunday in that division. He threw it extremely well. I like working out guys because you can see firsthand what they can really do."

Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers quarterback: "I had other similar workouts, but I remember they brought receivers. The weather wasn't ideal but I liked showing teams I could perform well in bad weather. I felt good about how I did for them, but I guess it didn't matter."

Frisman Jackson, former Browns receiver, 2002-05: "Coach Davis and the rest of the staff, the GM and some other people said we want you to fly with us to work out this kid. I had no idea who it was. I realized we were in Ohio, and they said, we're going to work out Ben Roethlisberger. We got our cleats on and ran routes for him for about 30 to 45 minutes. We ran the whole route tree. Everything he was throwing was accurate, hitting you in stride. He put on a show. I told him, your arm is strong as hell. He threw a heavy ball."

The day the Browns passed on Big Ben

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cleveland thinks the QB at #2 is not good, I think his chances of becoming elite just skyrocketed.

Butch Davis, former Browns head coach and executive vice president, 2001-04: "Everybody recognized he was an enormous physical talent. There couldn't have been a worse day during his workout. It became apparent he could put on a show. It was cold, it was blustery, kind of drizzly, like every Sunday in that division. He threw it extremely well. I like working out guys because you can see firsthand what they can really do."

Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers quarterback: "I had other similar workouts, but I remember they brought receivers. The weather wasn't ideal but I liked showing teams I could perform well in bad weather. I felt good about how I did for them, but I guess it didn't matter."

Frisman Jackson, former Browns receiver, 2002-05: "Coach Davis and the rest of the staff, the GM and some other people said we want you to fly with us to work out this kid. I had no idea who it was. I realized we were in Ohio, and they said, we're going to work out Ben Roethlisberger. We got our cleats on and ran routes for him for about 30 to 45 minutes. We ran the whole route tree. Everything he was throwing was accurate, hitting you in stride. He put on a show. I told him, your arm is strong as hell. He threw a heavy ball."

:burt:

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank You Browns!!!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
take the Eagles trade if its true. eagles 1st rd and 2 3rds and next years 2nd.

Not enough value IMO.

Draft Trade Chart | ProFootballTalk

Based on the draft trade chart, moving from #2 (2600 pts) to #8 (1400 pts) is a gap of 1200 pts. 2nd round picks this year are worth 580 pts at most, but they don't have one of those. The Eagles 2 3rds this year are worth a combined 400 pts (#77 is worth 205 pts, #79 is worth 195 pts), so they are still short 800 pts.

Future picks are usually devalued by a round, so Alex Marvez' projection of #8, #77 and #79 this year, plus 2017 1st and 3rd could be pretty close to what it would take, especially given Philly's sense of urgency to get this done now.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did either of them sit out a season? They were able to get traded, but if they hadn't, they would've played.

you are correct they were traded. That was the point of saying they would not play for the colts or chargers.
You cant know what "would have happened" nobody but Elway and Eli really know what they would have done if the team did not trade them.

My simple point is a Player has he Ability to not play in Cleveland Dallas Miami NY etc if they get drafted and really don't want to play for that team. I am not saying it will happen but that it could.

With the Browns history since coming back into the league they have failed in drafting or acquiring a franchise QB. How long is the list now ?

In the end its a business decision for the team and the player. The teams that took Elway and Eli were arrogant to do so knowing that the player they selected did not want to play for them. Both teams had to trade the pick so in the end the players got what they wanted.

This is a concept I fully understand I am certain some coaches would never work for Jerry Jones.

Answer me this please.

You own a multi million dollar business and you have a potential employee that says: I don't want to work for you! Why would you choose to hire that employee? To see if they will change their mind?

Even if they are projected to be the very best in their field they don't want to work for you so why "pick" or hire them ?
just asking

Cleveland needs to hit on a QB and a coach to finally get back to being a winner I wish them well but until they get turned around Cleveland is a QB graveyard sadly that's just the way it has worked out .

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Answer me this please.

You own a multi million dollar business and you have a potential employee that says: I don't want to work for you! Why would you choose to hire that employee? To see if they will change their mind?

Even if they are projected to be the very best in their field they don't want to work for you so why "pick" or hire them ?
just asking

Value. If you think you can get better value selecting that player and trading him than you can picking someone else, you make the move. San Diego got much better value drafting Eli then trading him than just picking Rivers in the first place; a third rounder in that draft and a first and fifth in the following draft (plus Rivers at a cheaper salary due to draft slot). They did OK with those picks (PK Nate Kaeding, OLB Shawne Merriman, OT Roman Oben), even if Merriman and Oben had shortened impacts.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was a very good read and insight into the Browns draft day thinking. I didn't realize Big Ben was 19-2 against the Browns and over 5000+ career passing yards against them.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Value. If you think you can get better value selecting that player and trading him than you can picking someone else, you make the move. San Diego got much better value drafting Eli then trading him than just picking Rivers in the first place; a third rounder in that draft and a first and fifth in the following draft (plus Rivers at a cheaper salary due to draft slot). They did OK with those picks (PK Nate Kaeding, OLB Shawne Merriman, OT Roman Oben), even if Merriman and Oben had shortened impacts.
On that I can see the point both sides win. Drafting with the intent to trade the player picked if it works out is smart business with a high risk factor however.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are correct they were traded. That was the point of saying they would not play for the colts or chargers.
You cant know what "would have happened" nobody but Elway and Eli really know what they would have done if the team did not trade them.

My simple point is a Player has he Ability to not play in Cleveland Dallas Miami NY etc if they get drafted and really don't want to play for that team. I am not saying it will happen but that it could.

With the Browns history since coming back into the league they have failed in drafting or acquiring a franchise QB. How long is the list now ?

In the end its a business decision for the team and the player. The teams that took Elway and Eli were arrogant to do so knowing that the player they selected did not want to play for them. Both teams had to trade the pick so in the end the players got what they wanted.

This is a concept I fully understand I am certain some coaches would never work for Jerry Jones.

Answer me this please.

just asking

Cleveland needs to hit on a QB and a coach to finally get back to being a winner I wish them well but until they get turned around Cleveland is a QB graveyard sadly that's just the way it has worked out .
Things can change dramatically in a short amount of time in this league. It wasn't long ago that Cincinnati was a constant punch line and was the worst team in the league. Now look at them. Just two years ago Carolina was a sub-.500 team. They nearly went unbeaten last year.

Cleveland has one of the top coaches in the NFL when it comes to working with QBs in Hue Jackson. Any QB would be happy to work with him.

If I owned a multi-million dollar business, you know who I wouldn't want? A guy who says "I would rather take a year and not work rather than go to a challenging position." That guy is a weak prima donna. Any player who would pull something like that doesn't deserve a place in the NFL.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not enough value IMO.

Draft Trade Chart | ProFootballTalk

Based on the draft trade chart, moving from #2 (2600 pts) to #8 (1400 pts) is a gap of 1200 pts. 2nd round picks this year are worth 580 pts at most, but they don't have one of those. The Eagles 2 3rds this year are worth a combined 400 pts (#77 is worth 205 pts, #79 is worth 195 pts), so they are still short 800 pts.

Future picks are usually devalued by a round, so Alex Marvez' projection of #8, #77 and #79 this year, plus 2017 1st and 3rd could be pretty close to what it would take, especially given Philly's sense of urgency to get this done now.

Marvez...unless I read the tweet wrong, I thought it was 1st & 3rd in '16 & 17...which I would take...you have an extra pick in there so I like your deal even better.

If this is true...and I get to play GM for the Browns...I take the deal.

Now...I have 8, 32, 65, 77, 79 for the '16 draft.

My top 5 board for 8

Lynch, Buckner, Jack, Ashawn Robinson, Lawson

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There we have it. I didn't think they would swing a deal with Philly due to the Eagles' lack of a 2nd rounder this year, but they got the 1st next year and a 2nd the year after. Given that Philly likely won't be great this year, those could be valuable picks.

Cleveland got: #8 overall, Philly's 3rd round & Philly's 4th round in '16. Philly's 1st in '17, and Philly's 2nd in '18
Philadelphia got: #2 overall, a conditional 4th round in '17.

For a team that needs to build, not a bad trade...it all but eliminates the Browns from getting a QB in the first round, which isn't a terrible thing if they thought neither Goff or Wentz were their guys.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There we have it. I didn't think they would swing a deal with Philly due to the Eagles' lack of a 2nd rounder this year, but they got the 1st next year and a 2nd the year after. Given that Philly likely won't be great this year, those could be valuable picks.

Cleveland got: #8 overall, Philly's 3rd round & Philly's 4th round in '16. Philly's 1st in '17, and Philly's 2nd in '18
Philadelphia got: #2 overall, a conditional 4th round in '17.

For a team that needs to build, not a bad trade...it all but eliminates the Browns from getting a QB in the first round, which isn't a terrible thing if they thought neither Goff or Wentz were their guys.
It was a great move by them. They're still in position to grab an instant impact player, as well. Fingers crossed for Zeke.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things can change dramatically in a short amount of time in this league. It wasn't long ago that Cincinnati was a constant punch line and was the worst team in the league. Now look at them. Just two years ago Carolina was a sub-.500 team. They nearly went unbeaten last year.

Cleveland has one of the top coaches in the NFL when it comes to working with QBs in Hue Jackson. Any QB would be happy to work with him.

If I owned a multi-million dollar business, you know who I wouldn't want? A guy who says "I would rather take a year and not work rather than go to a challenging position." That guy is a weak prima donna. Any player who would pull something like that doesn't deserve a place in the NFL.

Yep things change quick like trading the #2 pick just now smartest thing the Browns have done in a long time.

as far as not working for a year we have different opinions on that you think they are weak

I think they are very savvy with what they want to do with their very short first career worked for Elway worked for Eli

I will leave it at we will agree to disagree :suds:

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a great move by them. They're still in position to grab an instant impact player, as well. Fingers crossed for Zeke.

As much as I'd love a buckeye wearing the Browns uni, I don't think RB is on their radar with the 2 they currently have. To me, this screams lineman.