• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Should the Cleveland Browns Do With the #2 Pick?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly...I've only seen him play a few times...I'm still grounded in the scheme fit thing with him.

I had this debate several times now, and I keep coming away with the same feeling...he's not big enough to play a 3-4 DE. Now, I'm conceding that maybe he's athletic enough to play OLB in a 3-4, but is that an impact position for him?...idk and I don't like that feeling with the #2 overall pick.

If it came down to Goff or Wentz vs Bosa...I'd take the QB...worst case, I feel like I've got a strong trade chip next yr if RG3 is still QB1, gets extended, etc.

This is where I am at with Bosa. I think he will be a solid player but not the big time difference maker like Watt, Miller, or Donald.

He is not big enough to be a dominant 3-4 end or athletic/fast enough to be a dominant 3-4 olb/4-3 end. He could have a solid career, but that is not what you are looking for when draft guys that high.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly...I've only seen him play a few times...I'm still grounded in the scheme fit thing with him.

I had this debate several times now, and I keep coming away with the same feeling...he's not big enough to play a 3-4 DE. Now, I'm conceding that maybe he's athletic enough to play OLB in a 3-4, but is that an impact position for him?...idk and I don't like that feeling with the #2 overall pick.

If it came down to Goff or Wentz vs Bosa...I'd take the QB...worst case, I feel like I've got a strong trade chip next yr if RG3 is still QB1, gets extended, etc.

This is where I am at with Bosa. I think he will be a solid player but not the big time difference maker like Watt, Miller, or Donald.

He is not big enough to be a dominant 3-4 end or athletic/fast enough to be a dominant 3-4 olb/4-3 end. He could have a solid career, but that is not what you are looking for when draft guys that high.

Having rooted for him in college I'm biased in my opinion, but I think he's plenty athletic enough to fit in whatever scheme a defense is running. Lets not forget that Demarcus Ware was a 4-3 defensive end in college at Troy and turned out to be a pretty special 3-4 outside linebacker, despite questionable ability to drop back in coverage.

Having said that, I think the browns will end up taking a QB at 2...either Goff or Wentz, and Bosa will fall into the Cowboys lap at #4 (they play a 4-3 now). That will make me sad because i detest the cowboys but at least I'll have a player on that team to root for now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly...the key word there "dominant"...I've backed off my original thought that he can't play 3-4 OLB...if he's running a 4.8, high 4.7...he probably can play the position, but going from a hand in the dirt position to a stand up OLB is a big change for a rookie...just don't see him as a dominant player at that position.

Now...if you line him up next to those two DTs they have in CAR and play him strong side going against RTs and every now and then a TE...yes, I think he can be an impact player. Not dominant, but impactful.

We're going to find out here soon.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having rooted for him in college I'm biased in my opinion, but I think he's plenty athletic enough to fit in whatever scheme a defense is running. Lets not forget that Demarcus Ware was a 4-3 defensive end in college at Troy and turned out to be a pretty special 3-4 outside linebacker, despite questionable ability to drop back in coverage.

Having said that, I think the browns will end up taking a QB at 2...either Goff or Wentz, and Bosa will fall into the Cowboys lap at #4 (they play a 4-3 now). That will make me sad because i detest the cowboys but at least I'll have a player on that team to root for now.

I get you on the fan side of it...I was a big Jarvis Jones fan, saw nearly every college game he played at UGA, but I didn't think he was going to be a great pro. I wanted another LB instead.

Ware...This is the push back I have on the Ware and even Peppers comparisons. Both made the transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB with success...I would say that Bosa is equal to both of those guys as athletic specimens...but, both were Pro-bowl caliber players when they made the switch...not rookies.

Don't think about the injury part, but the closest comparison here imo is Clowney...even when he's been healthy, just doesn't look like a special player as a 3-4OLB...4 sacks maybe this yr. It might have been the same if he played a 4-3 DE, but at least he's not having to learn a new position....I would say 80% chance he leaves HOU after his rookie deal and lands on a 4-3 team.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still say trade back ( if they are not in love with the QB remaining) and just rebuild that OL in the 1st, 2nd, and later rounds.....

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get you on the fan side of it...I was a big Jarvis Jones fan, saw nearly every college game he played at UGA, but I didn't think he was going to be a great pro. I wanted another LB instead.

Ware...This is the push back I have on the Ware and even Peppers comparisons. Both made the transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB with success...I would say that Bosa is equal to both of those guys as athletic specimens...but, both were Pro-bowl caliber players when they made the switch...not rookies.

Don't think about the injury part, but the closest comparison here imo is Clowney...even when he's been healthy, just doesn't look like a special player as a 3-4OLB...4 sacks maybe this yr. It might have been the same if he played a 4-3 DE, but at least he's not having to learn a new position....I would say 80% chance he leaves HOU after his rookie deal and lands on a 4-3 team.

Clowney has pretty well documented work ethic issues though, stemming back to his college days. One of those guys that shows up sometimes and is completely missing other times.

From what I've seen, most people regard Bosa as a can't miss guy. Maybe not a #1 overall caliber, but definitely someone who will make an immediate impact. I think whoever ends up with him will be pretty happy.

The best Buckeye in the draft is Elliott though (IMO). But, given his position, I think he will drop into the late first round. If someone needs a RB down there, they will be very pleased.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney has pretty well documented work ethic issues though, stemming back to his college days. One of those guys that shows up sometimes and is completely missing other times.

From what I've seen, most people regard Bosa as a can't miss guy. Maybe not a #1 overall caliber, but definitely someone who will make an immediate impact. I think whoever ends up with him will be pretty happy.

The best Buckeye in the draft is Elliott though (IMO). But, given his position, I think he will drop into the late first round. If someone needs a RB down there, they will be very pleased.
IMO, it would be the biggest surprise in the draft if Elliott dropped out of the top 15. I think he goes to Philly at 8, unless they make the move to grab a QB and trade up. If that's the case, he doesn't get past Miami at 13.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, it would be the biggest surprise in the draft if Elliott dropped out of the top 15. I think he goes to Philly at 8, unless they make the move to grab a QB and trade up. If that's the case, he doesn't get past Miami at 13.

I haven't been keeping up, didn't realize Landry left Miami.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been keeping up, didn't realize Landry left Miami.
I'm assuming you mean Miller. Yeah he's gone. Their top dog right now is Jay Ajayi, who is unproven and injury prone. Given their issues with Tannehill being lit up like a Christmas tree every year, Elliott is probably their wet dream. Elite running back who will protect Tannehill for the first time in his career.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming you mean Miller. Yeah he's gone. Their top dog right now is Jay Ajayi, who is unproven and injury prone. Given their issues with Tannehill being lit up like a Christmas tree every year, Elliott is probably their wet dream. Elite running back who will protect Tannehill for the first time in his career.

Yeah, I meant Miller.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I meant Miller.
Not gonna lie, I hope Philly does trade up with Cleveland to grab a QB (there's actually been quite a bit of smoke on the interwebs about these negotiations already taking place). I would love nothing more than to grab Zeke on the Browns. Crowell is awful. Hue Jackson loves running the ball, and RG3 could truly excel if he had a guy like Zeke taking care of his blindside, especially given our OL situation. It would make a ton of sense, so I doubt it happens.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have The Rock announce the pick for them.

With the #2 pick, the Cleveland Browns select ....

It doesn't matter who they select!

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have The Rock announce the pick for them.

With the #2 pick, the Cleveland Browns select ....

It doesn't matter who they select!

Hey stop that! They made a damn great draft selection...once!:L Joe Thomas in '07.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns still have to go QB, RG III or not.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns still have to go QB, RG III or not.

Word is the Rams want Goff. If that's the case, Browns will pretty much have to take Wentz, right?