• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What next?

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely want nothing to do with Cam Barker... even for free.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The biggest thing you need out of the bottom two lines is, a little goal support out of the 3rd next to none out of the 4th, and to not get scored on and turn the puck over.

I mean if your getting 30-45 goals out of your 3rd line your doing alright if the top 2 or upwards of 80-100 combined.

And if the 3rd and 4th lines are crashing the net and grinding it out going for rebounds it will produce more goals from the point.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The biggest thing you need out of the bottom two lines is, a little goal support out of the 3rd next to none out of the 4th, and to not get scored on and turn the puck over.

I mean if your getting 30-45 goals out of your 3rd line your doing alright if the top 2 or upwards of 80-100 combined.

And if the 3rd and 4th lines are crashing the net and grinding it out going for rebounds it will produce more goals from the point.

I completely agree. A guy like Frazer Mclaren or even Desjardins can make a good living in front of the net if the defense can get the puck there. One of the big reasons that holmstrom has been such an effective player for so long is because he has had lidstrom, rafalski, schneider, markov, chelios, and the like getting shots through. If those guys got shots blocked consistently or just dumped it back down low, then holmstrom would be far less effective.

Last year, it was painful watching vlasic, murray, huskins, and wallin fumble pucks time and again from the point. My forehead had my palm print on it by the end of the year with each time I hit my head when the D fucked up in the O-zone. However, I feel like boyle, white, burns, and demers can get shots through regularly (not to mention bruan who can as well), and that should make a massive difference offensively. Not to mention, all 4 are mobile, can skate fast and can pass so the breakout should also be much better.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the other thing about signing white is that it stops another team from signing him, name chicago or detroit. Both of them must be looking for a top 3 or top 4 dman big time. There arent many out there even in the UFA market, so white would be highly sought after. If dougie wrapped him up at a good number, any of the sharks top 7 D would be highly tradeable later in the year and there will be teams desperate for good defense.

Anything that hurts the wings or hawks helps the sharks.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget the O zone. It was painful enough watching them try to clear the puck from our zone. The 4 pass exit strategy. Also Vlasic has the weakest puck drive in the NHL. He also has the softest backhand, no contest. If they kept track of blind backhanded clearing attempts that resulted in turnovers, I guarantee he'd be top 5.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If White re-signed I might cream myself. It would be the first time I could say our D is set. I see Ice Ice Baby signing with Detroit. Looks like he won't take a Bieksa deal.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
well, I am one who believes largely that the best defense is a good offense. When the D keeps pucks in and creates offensive chances, it tires out the opposition and even if they dont score a goal or draw a penalty, the best the opposition can do is dump it out and try to change. That means a free entry back into the offensive zone and further pressure, which is how you can dominate a game. The lack of offensive ability by the sharks D last year was largely why they spent as much time in their own zone as they did. White was good, but they still had wallin, huskins, murray and vlasic in the lineup against vancouver, and that might be the reason they lost as much as anything. Keeping white along with the burns acquisition would put the sharks D arguably in the top 2 or 3 in the league. They still have a hell of a top 6 in jumbo, heater, patty, pavs, clowe and cooch, so it's not like they have no offensive punch up front.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If White re-signed I might cream myself. It would be the first time I could say our D is set. I see Ice Ice Baby signing with Detroit. Looks like he won't take a Bieksa deal.

Fine with me! If detroit pays ehrhoff 6M, I have no problem. I still dont think much of him, and he doesnt scare me, and that could hurt the wings down the line. White is cheaper and a similar player, so I prefer he resigns at under 4 to keep him from going to a rival.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fast and accurate puck movement, that Detroit style shit. We'd have that top to bottom if White stays.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't want to see Jagr go to Detroit. I seriously think we should sign him since it sounds like he'd come for less than 2 mill and I think he can still score a plenty.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like JPit might be staying in Carolina too.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well, I am one who believes largely that the best defense is a good offense. When the D keeps pucks in and creates offensive chances, it tires out the opposition and even if they dont score a goal or draw a penalty, the best the opposition can do is dump it out and try to change. That means a free entry back into the offensive zone and further pressure, which is how you can dominate a game. The lack of offensive ability by the sharks D last year was largely why they spent as much time in their own zone as they did. White was good, but they still had wallin, huskins, murray and vlasic in the lineup against vancouver, and that might be the reason they lost as much as anything. Keeping white along with the burns acquisition would put the sharks D arguably in the top 2 or 3 in the league. They still have a hell of a top 6 in jumbo, heater, patty, pavs, clowe and cooch, so it's not like they have no offensive punch up front.

I'm going to come to Vlasic's defense here a little. When the coaching staff started pairing him with Demers he became pretty good at moving the puck. And I don't mean he would just push it to Demers. Vlasic showed a lot more confidence and ability both carrying the puck and making an outlet pass when Demers was there on the ice as an option for him.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just don't want to see Jagr go to Detroit. I seriously think we should sign him since it sounds like he'd come for less than 2 mill and I think he can still score a plenty.

Jagr will sign with the Pens. I'm a bit surprised it hasn't happened already.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could live with that. I wouldn't have to worry about hating him. I grew up loving him and Mario. It would kill me to see him in Detroit.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

We're not on his list. I dont think he'll be that effective though. he's 39, and will be 40 by the PO's next year, and that's pretty darn old. I think he might be like modano, who just couldnt handle the speed of the game at his age. Of course, selanne is still effective but he's quite the exception. let him go the wings, he doesnt scare me.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm going to come to Vlasic's defense here a little. When the coaching staff started pairing him with Demers he became pretty good at moving the puck. And I don't mean he would just push it to Demers. Vlasic showed a lot more confidence and ability both carrying the puck and making an outlet pass when Demers was there on the ice as an option for him.

vlasic is definitely respectable in his own end, but he is a disaster in the offensive half. He was as guilty as anyone on the D all last year and in the PO's at fumbling pucks on the point, getting shots block, or otherwise killing offensive threats. Remember how he didnt have a point in like the first 30 games? His first point came on december 9th and that made him a big part of the early year struggles and inconsistency. It's very hard to score 3 on 5. I would be fine replacing him with white (basically signing white for a similar number 3-4M, and then trading pickles later in the year if they need more offense).

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
vlasic is definitely respectable in his own end, but he is a disaster in the offensive half. He was as guilty as anyone on the D all last year and in the PO's at fumbling pucks on the point, getting shots block, or otherwise killing offensive threats. Remember how he didnt have a point in like the first 30 games? His first point came on december 9th and that made him a big part of the early year struggles and inconsistency. It's very hard to score 3 on 5. I would be fine replacing him with white (basically signing white for a similar number 3-4M, and then trading pickles later in the year if they need more offense).

And who was he paired with for those first 30 or so games? Huskins primarily and some with Wallin. Having another mobile dman opened up a lot of options for Vlasic and he preforemed respectably in those reguards.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I agree with you, I think you and I are the only two that see that the Vlasic has been s:moony:hackled by having to babysit his partner all game long. It really killed his offensive game if he has a partner he can trust I think his game will flourish

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And who was he paired with for those first 30 or so games? Huskins primarily and some with Wallin. Having another mobile dman opened up a lot of options for Vlasic and he preforemed respectably in those reguards.

May the names of Huskins & Wallin be forever strickened from this board and all future boards related the SJ Sharks. "So let it be written, so let it be done.":moony: