• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What next?

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So you think he'll sit on his 8M and just see how it goes? I dont see dougie putting 5 rookies into the opening lineup. He will go after at least a few UFA's and at least one or two will be 3rd line material like manny was.

By the way, I dont see a whole lot of downside giving all the rooks a chance. The current D and goaltending, combined with the current top 6 forwards already places the sharks as an extremely likely playoff team. By giving the rooks a chance to compete and earn some ice time, dougie and all us fans get to see what these guys can (or cant) do. it would be pretty awesome if one of them steps it up and emerges as a legit asset just like clowe, pavs, even cheech did. If not, then 3rd liners are usually pretty cheap midyear.

Makes sense Rules. I'd like to see them add 1 3rd line type of guy. Then lets see what McGinn-Mashinter-McLaren-McCarthy-etc can do if they are given a chance. Hopefully they can put together a solid 3rd line, and I'm sure they can form a decent 4th line with all the young guys.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Drury would easliy shore up the 4th line and be ok on the 3rd, i think a on team with depth he may be able to produce again.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Has NYR bought him out yet? Are you sure they will?

If so, then good call kork :-) ... drury would definitely be a nice addition. He also has a cup and has the work ethic that could be contagious. Also, his price should be pretty low, like under 1M, so it's a no-lose situation. He's only 34, soon to be 35, so he isnt all that old. Seems like a dougie-like move (see roenick?)

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

If so, then good call kork :-) ... drury would definitely be a nice addition. He also has a cup and has the work ethic that could be contagious. Also, his price should be pretty low, like under 1M, so it's a no-lose situation. He's only 34, soon to be 35, so he isnt all that old. Seems like a dougie-like move (see roenick?)

They've publically stated their intent to buy him out. Most likely to prevent Brad Richards from doing anything rash like re-signing with Dallas or with another team if his rights were to be traded.

EDIT: The official buyout period started on the 15th and goes through the 30th of this month. I was thinking it started the week prior to the opening of UFA market.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Its not like Dwill hasnt pursued him in the past, so it could happen. Get him and keep Over Eager Beaver and Wellwide on the cheap and i think the forward lines would be ok.

If not they can get something later in the season the trade route and still have cap space to absorb it

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Its not like Dwill hasnt pursued him in the past, so it could happen. Get him and keep Over Eager Beaver and Wellwide on the cheap and i think the forward lines would be ok.

If not they can get something later in the season the trade route and still have cap space to absorb it

true for both forward and defense if it turns out that braun isnt cutting it or they suffer a major injury. The list of to-be-UFA's in summer 2012 is quite extensive. Players will become available, particularly depth Dmen:
Boychuk, Zanon, Corvo, Gill, Gleasen, Tyutin, Kronwall, Coburns, Carle, Oduya... the list goes for a while.

At forward, its similar. Dougie can afford patience. Looking at the lists though, it's clear that a top pairing Dman is really hard to find. There arent any that are likely to be available at the deadline either. Dougie did have to move for burns if he wanted to fill that hole.

ads_2006

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wonder if we trade Heatly to help a team reach the floor (if not this year next), with that money we could be big players on the FA market.

Of course, heater would have to waive his NTC

ads_2006

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Rangers can't buy out injured Drury - NYPOST.com

Apparently they cant buy out drury because he is injured

Report: Rangers plan to buy out captain Drury

this article says they are also trying to buyout W. Wolski. If he could come on the cheap, i'd go for it. Inconsistent and was a healthy scratch some of the times with teh Rangers.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to get someone like Brooks Laich, but he'll get more money somewhere else. He'd skate through a brick wall to win and he can play on the 2nd or 3rd line.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wonder if we trade Heatly to help a team reach the floor (if not this year next), with that money we could be big players on the FA market.

Of course, heater would have to waive his NTC

A Heatley trade for those reasons would be more likely to happen next year when his actual salary is far less than his cap hit. Dougie's going to have to come up with the money somewhere if he intends to re-sign Burns, who's going to be somewhere around $5.5-$6.5m annually, plus he has to give Couture a raise.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Heatley trade for those reasons would be more likely to happen next year when his actual salary is far less than his cap hit. Dougie's going to have to come up with the money somewhere if he intends to re-sign Burns, who's going to be somewhere around $5.5-$6.5m annually, plus he has to give Couture a raise.

I did a little math and it if my estimates of Burns getting $6 and Couture getting $4 is accurate, then DWil will have to reserve $2 for those two. That is on top of Mitchell and Nitty coming off the books and the cap not going up for the 2012-13 season.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about getting Mantador & dumping HuskyPants? About the same price, but SM is a lot tougher & plays a little edgy.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about getting Mantador & dumping HuskyPants? About the same price, but SM is a lot tougher & plays a little edgy.

Never noticed his play but he was putting up some good numbers in BUF last season.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
right now the sharks have 18M available under the cap in 2012 if the cap stayed the same. That's enough to resign cooch at 4 yrs 16M, burns at 5 yrs 30M, and still have 8M left with the top 6 forwards intact, the top 5 D signed, and the #1 goalie. that 8M would only be needed for a 3rd and 4th line, and to resign braun (who could have a great year and still wouldn't cost more than 2M most likely. Basically, dougie is set up to be in the exact same position next summer as he is right now.

The only difference is that he should have a couple rooks emerge, and boyle, jumbo and patty will be another year older and slower.

Of course, predicting one year in the future is next to impossible, so we're just kinda along for the ride.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
interesting idea rares... If dougie can land him for 1M or less, then I'd love it. He's gunna be 37 next year, but he played 82 games the year before last while putting up over 50 points, so he may not be done just yet. It would be intriguing and has lots of upside for minimal risk. I like it!

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I thought about all his injuries over the past few years... which is why he'd have to be super-cheap to be worth it to sign.. for like 1-year at a time, if at all.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, he is an obvious injury risk, but it's not like he's been hurt every year. He didnt miss a single game in 09-10. It he signed here for 1M, then the worst case scenario is that the ownership loses 1M since if he is hurt and goes on LTIR, you get the cap relief. That's a pretty small risk and when he is in the lineup, he is still a threat. What's the downside?