• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is going on in Portland is just amazing

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,968.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When LaMarcus Aldridge bolted over the summer in free agency to try and win a title with the San Antonio Spurs.....I thought the Portland Trail Blazers were in for ANOTHER REBUILDING PROJECT.

Well, Mr. Lilliard has had other ideas. Now, the Blazers aren't going to win a title but they are certainly doing better than I thought and a lot of others did as well. Lilliard scored 31 points as the visiting Blazers defeated the Chicago Bulls, 103-95, on the Bulls homecourt last night. Lilliard is averaging 25.3ppg, 7.1apg, and 4.3rpg this season and has to be considered among the top 3 PG's in the league.

Earlier this week, he scored 34 points to help the Blazers beat the hapless Nets. And he scored 51 in their win over the Warriors on Feb 19th. Lilliard is doing everything he can to see the Blazers thrive in Aldridge's absence. Considering the talent around him (CJ McCollum is the only other player who is playing at a high level), what this team is doing is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,968.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing might be the wrong word. Surprising is a better one probably.

My sugar britches @Mecca will agree and love this thread.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. When they lost what they did, I figured they'd be hanging out with our Lakers. They've really done a great job of surprising folks. I don't know if Lillard will get MVP, it's probably Curry's to lose, but he's solidly in the discussion.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way is Lilliard getting the MVP.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way is Lilliard getting the MVP.

Agree, but he's done enough to be in the conversation. I think it's Curry's to lose because the season he's having is historic. But, given what Lillard has around him vs. what Curry has, Lillard is probably more valuable to the Blazers than Curry is to GSW. Without Curry, GSW is still a solid playoff team, without Lillard, the Blazers are hanging with the Lakers and Sixers.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, but he's done enough to be in the conversation. I think it's Curry's to lose because the season he's having is historic. But, given what Lillard has around him vs. what Curry has, Lillard is probably more valuable to the Blazers than Curry is to GSW. Without Curry, GSW is still a solid playoff team, without Lillard, the Blazers are hanging with the Lakers and Sixers.

If this was the MLB I would agree with you. The NBA seems to have this stupid unwritten rule where you're not in the MVP conversation unless your team is top 3 in their respective conference. He should be 2nd but at best he will maybe finish 5th. I think Lebron, KD, and Leonard all will finish ahead of him

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was the MLB I would agree with you. The NBA seems to have this stupid unwritten rule where you're not in the MVP conversation unless your team is top 3 in their respective conference. He should be 2nd but at best he will maybe finish 5th. I think Lebron, KD, and Leonard all will finish ahead of him

Yeah, I've always thought they need to have 2 separate awards. Most Outstanding Player and Most Valuable Player. Curry is, hands down, the most outstanding player in the NBA this season. But I think there are other players that are more valuable to their team.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lillard most certainly will get MVP votes.

McCollum will be in the running for MIP.

I hope they miss the playoffs though.

I would love for them to have a shot at Simmons.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,261.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Blazers are doing much better this year then i thought but lets see how they do in the playoffs. putting up big numbers in the regular season is one thing. but doing it in the post season is another

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've always thought they need to have 2 separate awards. Most Outstanding Player and Most Valuable Player. Curry is, hands down, the most outstanding player in the NBA this season. But I think there are other players that are more valuable to their team.

I would have agreed with this until watching last night. If Curry hits 400 3s and the Warriors break the record, Curry should win MVP unaminously. Lillard's hot streak should put him top 5 though, and maybe he passes 1 or 2 more if the Blazers somehow climb higher.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. When they lost what they did, I figured they'd be hanging out with our Lakers. They've really done a great job of surprising folks. I don't know if Lillard will get MVP, it's probably Curry's to lose, but he's solidly in the discussion.
The Blazers head coach deserves a lot of the credit.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're a surprise team for sure, good for them.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only could Portland make the playoffs, they may even get the 5th seed! They are only a few games behind Memphis, and Memphis has been dealt some terrible injuries down the stretch, meanwhile Portland has been surging.

Lillard wont win MVP, but he deserves to be in the conversation, I don't expect him to be the MVP, and I think that award goes to someone like Curry (deservingly so). I would like to see Lillard get some credit though and maybe expect him to finish 3rd.

IF Portland makes the playoffs there is no doubt Terry Stotts (Blazers HC) deserves coach of the year.

I agree CJ should and could win most improved player.

Portland really is a surprise. It wasn't until the all-star break that the local fans got on board with this season for a playoff push. Before their streak into the All-Star game some fans around here were hoping Portland would tank so they could get a draft pick. In fact, that was hot topic for a lot of local sports radio and it seemed fans were split on what Portland should do.

It's great to see the Blazers players, coaches, and organization said to Hell with tanking, we want playoff experience. Sure, Portland isn't going to win a title, or probably even get past the first round, but at least they are trying and gaining winning experience, AND giving us a product to be proud of.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have agreed with this until watching last night. If Curry hits 400 3s and the Warriors break the record, Curry should win MVP unaminously. Lillard's hot streak should put him top 5 though, and maybe he passes 1 or 2 more if the Blazers somehow climb higher.

That's why I think Curry is the Most Outstanding Player, but not the most valuable. Curry is the best player in the league. But without Curry, GSW is still a pretty good team and could probably still get a top 4-5 seed. Without Lillard, Portland's record is down there with the Lakers, Suns and 76ers.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I think Curry is the Most Outstanding Player, but not the most valuable. Curry is the best player in the league. But without Curry, GSW is still a pretty good team and could probably still get a top 4-5 seed. Without Lillard, Portland's record is down there with the Lakers, Suns and 76ers.

Sure, but the difference between a 4-5 seed and one of the best teams of all time is vast.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but the difference between a 4-5 seed and one of the best teams of all time is vast.

But it still doesn't make him most valuable. Being the best in the league and being the most valuable to your team, aren't the same thing. Although, the award usually goes to the best player on the best team and that's clearly Steph.

Until the NBA decides that the 2 things are different (which they don't seem to be in any hurry about lol), that's how it will continue to be awarded.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with @trojanfan12 on this. IMO I always looked at Most Valuable as if you were not on this team, would we still be successful or would we be trash? Golden State would be fine (not title contenders but a top 4 seed). Take Lilliard off and this team is trash. But by NBA standards, Steph will hands down be the MVP

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe that the intention of most voting on the award is to give it to the best player in the league. Previous winners seem to indicate that as well. Also, you could reasonably take the position that "most valuable" isn't limited to evaluating how a team would do without the player in question. Many, many previous winners were on stacked teams. Perhaps some voters think about it as who is the most valuable player to the league and to the game as a whole, and not just to his team. Perhaps other voters think about if you were to redraft the entire league, which player would that voter select first.