• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Billups doomed to fail in Portland?

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Nuggets fan I love this, but as an NBA fan I hate it…

Assault allegations from two and a half decades ago hardly seems fair, and as it was the NBA Western Conference is not a friendly place to be for a rookie HC looking to win now…

And if Dame does get traded, you’ve got to believe Billups will become even more hated in the Pacific Northwest than he already is for running arguably the most popular in franchise history out the door. That too, hardly seems fair given that just about every great Blazer (Drexler, Aldridge, etc.) eventually left Portland anyway.

Still, even though they made a good run in 2019, this roster as constructed may be doomed in the #6 seed range. Even if Lillard in fact denies wanting out, if you’re Portland you have to at least consider all your options with this guy, don’t you?

I previously wanted Billups to coach the Pacers, but man, I feel bad for the guy walking into this brutal situation.

Truthfully, before the Pacers hired an established coach in Rick Carlisle, I actually would have been in favor of a Sabonis trade. Portland, likewise, needs to consider all their options with Dame with the team in no man’s land, and regardless of what his wishes may be…

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Nuggets fan I love this, but as an NBA fan I hate it…

Assault allegations from two and a half decades ago hardly seems fair, and as it was the NBA Western Conference is not a friendly place to be for a rookie HC looking to win now…

And if Dame does get traded, you’ve got to believe Billups will become even more hated in the Pacific Northwest than he already is for running arguably the most popular in franchise history out the door. That too, hardly seems fair given that just about every great Blazer (Drexler, Aldridge, etc.) eventually left Portland anyway.

Still, even though they made a good run in 2019, this roster as constructed may be doomed in the #6 seed range. Even if Lillard in fact denies wanting out, if you’re Portland you have to at least consider all your options with this guy, don’t you?

I previously wanted Billups to coach the Pacers, but man, I feel bad for the guy walking into this brutal situation.

Truthfully, before the Pacers hired an established coach in Rick Carlisle, I actually would have been in favor of a Sabonis trade. Portland, likewise, needs to consider all their options with Dame with the team in no man’s land, and regardless of what his wishes may be…

Please elaborate on the part where you thought the Pacers should potentially trade Sabonis. Out of your entire post that was the only part that I really scratched my head at.

• Haha
Reactions: DJ

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please elaborate on the part where you thought the Pacers should potentially trade Sabonis. Out of your entire post that was the only part that I really scratched my head at.
That was the only part?

He's low-key insinuating that Portland should trade Dame for Sabonis (as the main piece of the trade). Dij is a consistent fool, I'll give him that.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the only part?

He's low-key insinuating that Portland should trade Dame for Sabonis (as the main piece of the trade). Dij is a consistent fool, I'll give him that.
Reading comprehension. Never said Dame should come to the Pacers. Especially now as it would be a very un-Rick Carlisle move to make.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the only part?

I don’t think he is insinuating that.

Just he tends to ramble and the Pacers part of the post isn’t really related to the topic.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the only part?

Well in this instance he's bringing up valid, if not low hanging fruit type points.

Billups hire has been criticized already for the reasons he stated above. Dame has been getting flack and also has been the source of numerous rumors of trades. So nothing there was head scratching. Of course it isn't ideal for a new coach to come in and have your star player be unhappy. Just look at what happened in Houston last year with Silas.

But I have no idea as a Pacers fan why you would want to move Sabonis. You still have a very good, young squad with Sabonis, Brogdon and Levert. Weird.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in this instance he's bringing up valid, if not low hanging fruit type points.

Billups hire has been criticized already for the reasons he stated above. Dame has been getting flack and also has been the source of numerous rumors of trades. So nothing there was head scratching. Of course it isn't ideal for a new coach to come in and have your star player be unhappy. Just look at what happened in Houston last year with Silas.

But I have no idea as a Pacers fan why you would want to move Sabonis. You still have a very good, young squad with Sabonis, Brogdon and Levert. Weird.

Maybe he realizes that their likely ceiling is 1st round exit?

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the Carlisle hiring the Pacers were in no-man's land having not won a playoff game since 2018 or a series since 2014.

Sometimes in situations like this you have to trade whoever's got value. Without the proper coaching hire, drastic roster changes would have been next.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

definitely gotta move turner or sabonis to potentially raise the ceiling.

using them with levert is interesting. But again, not sure what angry star is out there

they are kinda stuck In purgatory.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the answer is always yes, the Blazers are doomed.

Dame for Simmons and picks, make it happen Morey!

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TJ Warren was injured all year. He's a difference maker for them. They had so many injuries that I think it's not really justifiable to blow up a roster thinking that their ceiling is a 1st round exit, considering the youth. If it was an older team without potential for growth, then certainly.

Sabonis - 24
Brogdon - 28
Turner - 24
Levert - 26
Warren - 27

Seems weird to blow that up.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJ Warren was injured all year. He's a difference maker for them. They had so many injuries that I think it's not really justifiable to blow up a roster thinking that their ceiling is a 1st round exit, considering the youth. If it was an older team without potential for growth, then certainly.

Sabonis - 24
Brogdon - 28
Turner - 24
Levert - 26
Warren - 27

Seems weird to blow that up.

they need a star and basically every rookie needs time before they contribute.

warren is ok fir me but I don’t think he’s a difference maker. He’s a solid role player.

they need to do what the nets did to get harden basically

Or find the star at 13.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they need a star and basically every rookie needs time before they contribute.

warren is ok fir me but I don’t think he’s a difference maker. He’s a solid role player.

they need to do what the nets did to get harden basically

Or find the star at 13.

I feel like Sabonis is on the verge of stardom though. That's probably the disconnect around here for me.

After Julius Randle, I believe Sabonis is the next best PF in the league (Aside from Giannis and KD who are more position-less).

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Sabonis is on the verge of stardom though. That's probably the disconnect around here for me.

After Julius Randle, I believe Sabonis is the next best PF in the league (Aside from Giannis and KD who are more position-less).

Eh.

On the verge of Blake Griffin level stardom maybe.

The type of star that puts up numbers but can’t really carry you in the playoffs.

To me that isn’t a real star.

I just don’t see it with Sabonis. He may be the top PF in the East, but PF is a dying position for a reason.

In order for a big man to be a dominant player on a contender, they have to do it on both ends of the court.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can move past it now, man. Sabonis isn't going anywhere. And hopefully Myles Turner isn't going anywhere either. Seriously, whenever I google the guy's name all I ever see these days is trade proposals (gets fucking annoying).

The Pacers were not supposed to be the central idea of the OP, anyway.

Anyone here want to talk about the Blazers?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can move past it now, man. Sabonis isn't going anywhere. And hopefully Myles Turner isn't going anywhere either. Seriously, whenever I google the guy's name all I ever see these days is trade proposals (gets fucking annoying).

the blazers are severely limited and very small.

they also don’t seem willing to pay the tax much, if at all.

the disastrous Jones signing is killing them right now.

they basically are choosing between Powell and the small mle or the big mle and the biannual exception.

I do not think they can get all 3 without moving Jones.

they just have very limited ways to add to the roster and have quite a few needs.

they need more size on the wing and a backup center for when nurkic is off the court.

they really need Nas little to take a big leap forward

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure.

But for the record, you were the one who brought up the Pacers for absolutely no good reason.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL, I'm on here defending your star player to others, when others are questioning him but you want me to move past it.

Plus you're the one that threw the whole Pacers into that first initial post. I agreed with everything else you said. Can't win with you I guess.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blazers are nearing the end of their “window”.

They either need to make a big splash and somehow find a second better fitting star to pair with Dame, or they need to move Dame and start over.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw John Hollinger just propose a trade for Dame.

Blazers trade: Damian Lillard and Jusef Nurkic
Warriors Trade: Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman, Jordan Poole, Eric Paschall, 7th, 14th pick, 2022 1st and 2026 1st.

Discuss...