• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What ever happened to cars that run on water?

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So. Now I have more questions. It obviously takes power to separate the hydrogen. What about an electric/hydrogen hybrid. I though I'd heard this option before. If the Volt's battery system is separating hydrogen instead of powering the vehicle...

Hydrogen will power the engine, the engine will generate some electricity to drive into the Volt's battery system and delay it's inevitable draining as it continues to replenish the hydrogen. When you park, you plug in, your car will build up some hydrogen and then recharge the battery pack.

Over time, all we need to do is turn the grid green, and poof, magic Utopia. Errr. Science or whatever.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would we really truck water in from the ocean? You can fill up a 5 gallon bucket of water at your house and put that in your tank and drive 750 miles on it.........

Doesn't seem like we will really be using up that much water.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would we really truck water in from the ocean? You can fill up a 5 gallon bucket of water at your house and put that in your tank and drive 750 miles on it.........

Doesn't seem like we will really be using up that much water.

and that's under the assumption that EVERYONE would drive a water powered car... doesn't seem like it would be affordable (but I could be wrong), and some people will still prefer gasoline powered cars due to some sort of complex

hopefully it would just be enough where we just need oil from North America and can cut loose the Arabs

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GM is a piece of shit, krony union disaster. Other companies already have the H hybrid shit on the way:

Honda Worldwide | FCX Clarity

That car is all electric with a H cell...but a hybrid could use it as well - especially to add performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See. Now if I were living in California I'd know all about this. But California is so bad. We hate California, right?

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So. Now I have more questions. It obviously takes power to separate the hydrogen. What about an electric/hydrogen hybrid. I though I'd heard this option before. If the Volt's battery system is separating hydrogen instead of powering the vehicle...

Hydrogen will power the engine, the engine will generate some electricity to drive into the Volt's battery system and delay it's inevitable draining as it continues to replenish the hydrogen. When you park, you plug in, your car will build up some hydrogen and then recharge the battery pack.

Over time, all we need to do is turn the grid green, and poof, magic Utopia. Errr. Science or whatever.

This can't work.
At best--- ideal case scenario (no overpotentials at all) you could run the WER and then run ORR in an perpetual loop- but have no energy to run the engine itself by definition. In practical reality, of course there are massive overpotentials. Factor in further that neither the WER/ORR has a realistically viable commercialized catalyst that is not Pt- based, and this is a no-go for now. I do agree that there should be a lot more $ in research towards these catalysts--- people have been working on this a very very long time in general, and only marginal progress has been made. We are at least finally getting to the point where computational modeling can start treating these systems with enough time and accuracy to start replacing experimental searching ...

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This can't work.
At best--- ideal case scenario (no overpotentials at all) you could run the WER and then run ORR in an perpetual loop- but have no energy to run the engine itself by definition. In practical reality, of course there are massive overpotentials. Factor in further that neither the WER/ORR has a realistically viable commercialized catalyst that is not Pt- based, and this is a no-go for now. I do agree that there should be a lot more $ in research towards these catalysts--- people have been working on this a very very long time in general, and only marginal progress has been made. We are at least finally getting to the point where computational modeling can start treating these systems with enough time and accuracy to start replacing experimental searching ...

Damn laws of reality? When is Rossi going to knock us all out of our seats with this near zero cost cold fusion reactor he has supposedly made a gigantic leap forward with.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't be on-board hydrogen separation. It'll be separated and condensed hydrogen at the pump.

oh ok.... I didn't really read the rest of the thread

I bet they'll tax the ever living shit out of it to match the price of gas..... but it'll be a little more stable

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh ok.... I didn't really read the rest of the thread

I bet they'll tax the ever living shit out of it to match the price of gas..... but it'll be a little more stable

I guess it is about the same price as gas out in California already.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should resupply the worlds oil by using mass graves.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cars that run on water are called boats. Not sure what the rest of this nonsense is about.