• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are your playoff expectations?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At this point, our chances in the division are extremely good. We've already won 2-3 games that were longshots to start the season. Five games in division, a should-win against Cleveland in two weeks, and very winnable games against the Giants and Skins. At this point, I think 10+ wins is very realistic. Hell, if we beat the Rams and Cards we'll have 9 wins and effectively be a lock for the playoffs.

Once in the playoffs, who knows? This team has shown it will compete. The D is looking like it could be special, especially as Culliver develops and the guys get more familiar with each other. The offense still has plenty of upside, especially once Edwards returns. But one key injury could untrack everything. We'll see what happens the rest of the way.

yes, our D is already play-off caliber and it appears will only get better. it'll get better as you mentioned with more experience from Culliver and Aldon (more than just sacks).

our offense is playing well enough to win a play-off game, but IMO the only 'big' upside is only from the O-line. not complaining mind you, just saying my expectations of Alex Smith's upside (from here forward) is lower. don't see why he can't continue doing what he's doing, but not expecting him to increase his vertical passing.

you're correct about injury, a few here and there can quickly turn the tide against us.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yes, our D is already play-off caliber and it appears will only get better. it'll get better as you mentioned with more experience from Culliver and Aldon (more than just sacks).

our offense is playing well enough to win a play-off game, but IMO the only 'big' upside is only from the O-line. not complaining mind you, just saying my expectations of Alex Smith's upside (from here forward) is lower. don't see why he can't continue doing what he's doing, but not expecting him to increase his vertical passing.

you're correct about injury, a few here and there can quickly turn the tide against us.

I think getting Edwards back will be a big help in the passing game, especially in the red zone. Edwards, Davis, Crabtree and Walker make up a pretty potent group of receivers. I think Smith still has some upside, though he seems to have regressed somewhat since halftime in the Bucs game. Two weeks to work out the kinks, though...that's pretty much an entire offseason. Who knows what Jim and Co. will cook up in that time? As noted, I also think the OL will continue to improve. I think the offense still has a lot of room to grow. Not saying they'll do it, but the potential is there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think getting Edwards back will be a big help in the passing game, especially in the red zone. Edwards, Davis, Crabtree and Walker make up a pretty potent group of receivers. I think Smith still has some upside, though he seems to have regressed somewhat since halftime in the Bucs game. Two weeks to work out the kinks, though...that's pretty much an entire offseason. Who knows what Jim and Co. will cook up in that time? As noted, I also think the OL will continue to improve. I think the offense still has a lot of room to grow. Not saying they'll do it, but the potential is there.

the O-line seems to have gotten on track with running the ball, obviously thats great. so we'll see how far the pass protect will go? its getting better and agree it has POTENTIAL to get good.

so as the O-line gets better, the stats will naturally get better for everyone. even Alex Smith should see an improvement in passing stats, but as far as being an NFL QB overall, having the intangibles, passing skills, etc.., IMO we've seen just about his max. he'll be fine doing what he's doing now, but as tried to stretch it vertically, i dunno?

but thats ok cause didn't think i'd see it till game 2 or 3? what he's doing now can get us into the play-offs.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me getting to the playoffs and hosting a game in the first round would be great for 49ERS fans. I think we could win 1 game and most likely go out the next round. Still waaaay to early to tell with seedindg injuries around the league etc. But I would be happy with just being in the playoff, that would help us build toward the future with players having more confidence and FA lining up to come play for us like back in the day.
What are your thoughts and what would you be ok with?

5-1 now. 3-0 on the road.

Super Bowl???:behindsofa:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
5-1 now. 3-0 on the road.

Super Bowl???:behindsofa:

haaa

yep, getting to the play-offs is one thing, but super bowl is another........ especially if we don't get a first round bye.

for now, i'm be HAPPY getting this far and hope to "survive" till our West showdowns. not expecting to win every game so just want to see this team bounce right back up.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yea, I agree with both of you. It won't feel that way at the time, but would def have been successful. Then the stress of building on it for next season would start...look at the Bucs and Chiefs. Bucs are doing okay but probably thought they would be further along at this point after last season and the Chiefs took one step forward and 5 steps back, it seems.

We still play in the NFC West so we will be fine

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Free agents will be lining up at 4949 in Santa Clara to sign with the Niners watch.

its more important for our own FA's line up first? can't assume Harbaugh and staff wants them ALL back, but i'd think Carlos Rogers, Goldson, and possibly Edwards?

who else signed one year contracts or contracts are ending? continuity and familiarity can only help.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
My expectations are the Niners lose in the NFC Championhip game to the Packers or Saints. JMHO.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyones expectation should be super bowl....Strive for exellence!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My expectations are the Niners lose in the NFC Championhip game to the Packers or Saints. JMHO.

if things hold the way they are, wouldn't we play the Saints first?

i'd be ok losing if the other team is simply better, just don't play so badly 'we gave it away'.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the season starts expectations become playoffs. Once you get in the playoffs anything can happen! Go 49ers!

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i'd be ok losing if the other team is simply better, just don't play so badly 'we gave it away'.[/QUOTE]

We just have to stay hungry and humble let the card line up right, get the 2 seed and defend our turf. We havent lost at home all year since the Dallas game and that was a OT loss in the second game of the season. Against the Saints and GB our pass rush will have to be rocking because they wont run on us at all.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i'd be ok losing if the other team is simply better, just don't play so badly 'we gave it away'.[/QUOTE]

We just have to stay hungry and humble let the card line up right, get the 2 seed and defend our turf. We havent lost at home all year since the Dallas game and that was a OT loss in the second game of the season. Against the Saints and GB our pass rush will have to be rocking because they wont run on us at all.

being able to stop the run is a huge advantage, cause then we can blitz the QB with any LB. we wouldn't over do it, but we have the option at hand.

our run D has been good since the get go, so expected we'd see more blitzing? to me we haven't shown this as much as we should? we should show a little more in preparation for the Saints and maybe Packers.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i'd be ok losing if the other team is simply better, just don't play so badly 'we gave it away'.

Losing in the NFC title game would hurt, but it would make alot of teams respect us if we played well and loss. Look at the Jets 2 years they have made it to the AFC Championship game and teams respected them we will have it the same way.

A lose would hurt, but I would still smile on the season. Im a die hard Chicago Bulls fan and waited since 1998 for them to get back on top. They are back finally and although the Eastern Conference Championship game loss last year hurt I was pleased because I knew that was just the beginning.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
being able to stop the run is a huge advantage, cause then we can blitz the QB with any LB. we wouldn't over do it, but we have the option at hand.

our run D has been good since the get go, so expected we'd see more blitzing? to me we haven't shown this as much as we should? we should show a little more in preparation for the Saints and maybe Packers.

Agreed, since we have clinched we might as well practice more blitzing in the next couple of games, especially the division games.