• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the 49ers long-term plan at quarterback?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I disagree that he has thrown that ball well. He underthrew Davis today. I can't recall any deep sideline routes last week, other than perhaps the long ball to Crabtree - which was a nice ball. I don't see how making that throw once or twice changes the fact that it's an area of weakness for him, though. Obviously he's capable of throwing it well occasionally. He still hasn't shown he can do it consistently. Not to mention to a fast receiver.

I have absolutely no problem bringing Smith back. I think he's a solid starter who gives us a chance in most games. But I wouldn't give him a Fitzpatrick-esque contract, and I'd be very reluctant to give him five years at starter money.

The one to Crabtree was nice there was also the one to Davis that he bobbled out of bounds and then the one where he scrambled and got it to Crabs and he dropped it (not exactly a sideline pass)... wasn't that all last week? I may be mixing weeks...

I think he's progressing on those throws. Even the throw this week maybe you could say slightly underthrown although I believe a safety was coming over the top so imo it was a very nice throw. I'm just glad Vernon caught it.

5 years 3 guaranteed I wouldn't mind. 3 years 2 guaranteed would be great.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The one to Crabtree was nice there was also the one to Davis that he bobbled out of bounds and then the one where he scrambled and got it to Crabs and he dropped it (not exactly a sideline pass)... wasn't that all last week? I may be mixing weeks...

I think he's progressing on those throws. Even the throw this week maybe you could say slightly underthrown although I believe a safety was coming over the top so imo it was a very nice throw. I'm just glad Vernon caught it.

he's coming off a GOOD season and deserves a good contract. most of us don't want to commit a 'QB of the future' contract, but how can you deny him?

my guess is it'll be closer to Fitzpatrick than we want.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I honestly can't recall the specific balls last week. Davis' drop might have been a sideline throw. Can't recall Crabtree's drop.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex is not the long time solution and Living here in Vegas and watching almost every Kap game I don't think he is either. Now I am very possibly wrong and Harbaugh can make CK into something better, However I would take Alex over Sanchez. Sanchez is way too inconsistent. At leas with Alex I know he will minimize turnovers which at worst lets our defense which is damn good take over after Andy Lee booms the punt. Sanchez takes what seems to be stupid risks that cos this team. I am not ready to claim Alex as the long term QB but I also believe the long term Qb is not on the team yet.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I honestly can't recall the specific balls last week. Davis' drop might have been a sideline throw. Can't recall Crabtree's drop.

I think it came on the very next play after Davis' bobbled pass where he stepped oob and in nearly the exact same field location.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The Davis one was down the sideline, inside the 10 and he juggled it then caught it out of bounds. It was a well thrown ball. Not perfect, as it could have been a little more inside, but it was a well thrown ball that should have been a catch (a great throw would have been a TD).

The Crabtree drop was on 3rd and about 9 (the very next play after the Davis one discussed above). Smith was pressured and rolled right, threw it about 15 yards downfield and hit a leaping Crabtree in the numbers, but he couldn't control it. A very well thrown ball getting it over the LB, though not the sideline pass that he so often misses (feet set in the pocket trying to hit a streaking WR) as he was rolling out and Crabtree was standing relatively still.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would say no to Sanchez. I understand the concerns about playing QB for a defensive HC like Ryan, but he has been in the same system and has not improved. That's a problem.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex is not the long time solution and Living here in Vegas and watching almost every Kap game I don't think he is either. Now I am very possibly wrong and Harbaugh can make CK into something better, However I would take Alex over Sanchez. Sanchez is way too inconsistent. At leas with Alex I know he will minimize turnovers which at worst lets our defense which is damn good take over after Andy Lee booms the punt. Sanchez takes what seems to be stupid risks that cos this team. I am not ready to claim Alex as the long term QB but I also believe the long term Qb is not on the team yet.

hate to say it but i agree. not writing off CK by any means, but the odds of him becoming an top NFL QB aren't high.

granted, everyone has his own definition of 'long term QB'?

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would say no to Sanchez. I understand the concerns about playing QB for a defensive HC like Ryan, but he has been in the same system and has not improved. That's a problem.

He's still really young though. This is just his third season in the pros after only one year of starting at USC. He still may become a very good QB.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He's still really young though. This is just his third season in the pros after only one year of starting at USC. He still may become a very good QB.

But bringing him here in place of Smith is a step backwards. It's only a good play if you sincerely believe he can be a very good QB. Baalke would be betting his job on it. Is it a good bet? I hardly think so. You would be taking what, based on this year, amounts to a significant step backwards at the most important position in the game.

You bring back Smith and continue to look for the QB of the future if you don't believe in Kaep. Trading placeholders doesn't make sense.

Ultimately, are we better in 2012 with Smith or Sanchez? I think we are undoubtedly better with Smith. What about in 2013?

Are the Jets better in 2012 with Smith or Sanchez? I think they too are better with Smith.

Both QBs are asked to do the same thing: Don't screw up and let the defense stop the other team. Get us 17 points, don't give them any and we will win. Smith did that this year. Sanchez did not.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But bringing him here in place of Smith is a step backwards. It's only a good play if you sincerely believe he can be a very good QB. Baalke would be betting his job on it. Is it a good bet? I hardly think so. You would be taking what, based on this year, amounts to a significant step backwards at the most important position in the game.

You bring back Smith and continue to look for the QB of the future if you don't believe in Kaep. Trading placeholders doesn't make sense.

Ultimately, are we better in 2012 with Smith or Sanchez? I think we are undoubtedly better with Smith. What about in 2013?
Are the Jets better in 2012 with Smith or Sanchez? I think they too are better with Smith.

Both QBs are asked to do the same thing: Don't screw up and let the defense stop the other team. Get us 17 points, don't give them any and we will win. Smith did that this year. Sanchez did not.

Boy, I don't know about that. It would be a tough decision for me. I like the fact that Sanchez' arm strength opens up so much more of the playbook and uses so much more of the field than they can with Smith. The accuracy would have to improve some though. Smith has domne pretty well this season but I think we've seen his ceiling already and I would not want to settle for that.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Boy, I don't know about that. It would be a tough decision for me. I like the fact that Sanchez' arm strength opens up so much more of the playbook and uses so much more of the field than they can with Smith. The accuracy would have to improve some though. Smith has domne pretty well this season but I think we've seen his ceiling already and I would not want to settle for that.

Well, we're better than the Jets and right now Sanchez has a better OL and better WRs. He has a stronger arm (moderately strongly though), but he just makes such stupid decisions. He threw 3 interceptions today. In a game they HAD to win to make the playoffs they lost 19-17. Miami kicked a FG after each INT. Two of those INTs were thrown to Randy Starks. He's a DT!!

I fear his USC connection has you over-rating him.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I take Harbaugh, Roman & Sanchez over Harbaugh, Roman & Smith all day long.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, we're better than the Jets and right now Sanchez has a better OL and better WRs. He has a stronger arm (moderately strongly though), but he just makes such stupid decisions. He threw 3 interceptions today. In a game they HAD to win to make the playoffs they lost 19-17. Miami kicked a FG after each INT. Two of those INTs were thrown to Randy Starks. He's a DT!!

I fear his USC connection has you over-rating him.

I never was much of a Sanchez fan at SC. I think he has potential though and a higher ceiling than Smith. I'd certainly have to strongly consider it if the Jets called me up and said "Sanchez for Smith straight up". Sanchez certainly wouldn't be my first pick but he was just someone I was thinking about because both he and Smith are guys I think would fit well on the other guy's team. I'm OK with starting next season with Smith if that is how it works out.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Davis one was down the sideline, inside the 10 and he juggled it then caught it out of bounds. It was a well thrown ball. Not perfect, as it could have been a little more inside, but it was a well thrown ball that should have been a catch (a great throw would have been a TD).

The Crabtree drop was on 3rd and about 9 (the very next play after the Davis one discussed above). Smith was pressured and rolled right, threw it about 15 yards downfield and hit a leaping Crabtree in the numbers, but he couldn't control it. A very well thrown ball getting it over the LB, though not the sideline pass that he so often misses (feet set in the pocket trying to hit a streaking WR) as he was rolling out and Crabtree was standing relatively still.

Ok, do recall the Davis ball. Still nothing on the Crabtree pass.

As said (not directed at you Imac, just generally), the fact that Smith has thrown a few accurate balls in this area does not indicate to me that it's not still a problem. That said, the improvement is notable and a credit to Smith, who has clearly been working on the deep passing game over the past few weeks.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Sanchez had dropped passes at the 49ers rate his Completion% would drop to a Curtis Painter-esk 54.3%

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I never was much of a Sanchez fan at SC. I think he has potential though and a higher ceiling than Smith. I'd certainly have to strongly consider it if the Jets called me up and said "Sanchez for Smith straight up". Sanchez certainly wouldn't be my first pick but he was just someone I was thinking about because both he and Smith are guys I think would fit well on the other guy's team. I'm OK with starting next season with Smith if that is how it works out.

How long does it take for him to realize that potential? Assuming it's there. He's been bad. Are you willing to take steps backwards for a year or 2 to groom Sanchez and hope that his average of over 1 INT per game in 3 seasons is not an indication of his actual skill?

I'm not.

As for being young, he's only 2 years younger than Alex.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's coming off a GOOD season and deserves a good contract. most of us don't want to commit a 'QB of the future' contract, but how can you deny him?

my guess is it'll be closer to Fitzpatrick than we want.

with the way fitzpatrick has played, smith's agent might want more

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How long does it take for him to realize that potential? Assuming it's there. He's been bad. Are you willing to take steps backwards for a year or 2 to groom Sanchez and hope that his average of over 1 INT per game in 3 seasons is not an indication of his actual skill?

I'm not.

As for being young, he's only 2 years younger than Alex.

Very quickly I would think. Just look at how quickly and markedly Smith improved in just one season with Harbaugh and that was with no time for Harbaugh to work with him prior to the season.

To say he has been "bad" is not accurate in my opinion. He has been bad at times but has also performed very well in his first two seasons in some very big games. That tells me the potential is there and that he could benefit greatly from having someone like Harbaugh coach him in the same way that Smith has benefitted from that coaching. As for the INT to games ratio, until this season under Harbaugh, Smith was averaging an INT per game as well.