• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the 49ers long-term plan at quarterback?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. And Smith misses stuff more than most good-to-great NFL QBs. He has made up for it this year by minimizing mistakes, but if we're talking about a longterm contract, his struggles throwing deep along the sideline are a concern. As are his minor inaccuracies to guys crossing the middle, his repeated high throws to Crabtree, etc.

Two weeks in a row now he's actually thrown the sideline route well. Obviously that doesn't mean that's going to continue - but he's showing me he can make that throw so I'm not sure that's a valid gripe any longer.

He does enough to win and he definitely protects the ball so... I mean unless he spazzes out and throws 5 picks in the playoffs I don't see how/why the Niners would not resign him.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think AS will be a FA after this season, and there's not really a "sign and trade" option in the NFL, unless I've missed the boat completely.

I think that is correct. I think Smith would do well on a team like the Jets. They could use a QB who protects the ball but can throw when needed. They like to run the ball and he'd fit their style. I think someone like Sanchez could benefit from a new start somewhere also.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How 'bout a straight up trade of Alex Smith for Mark Sanchez?

I think I would pull that trigger. I believe Harbaugh can do more with Sanchez then Ryan, and I think Mark has a higher ceiling than Alex.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Two weeks in a row now he's actually thrown the sideline route well. Obviously that doesn't mean that's going to continue - but he's showing me he can make that throw so I'm not sure that's a valid gripe any longer.

He does enough to win and he definitely protects the ball so... I mean unless he spazzes out and throws 5 picks in the playoffs I don't see how/why the Niners would not resign him.

I'd be OK if we went into next season with Smith as the starter. We could do worse.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
he hit those sideline throws a couple weeks ago and he hit them in the past. crabtree usually pops up anything that hits him in the numbers. when he extends his arms, he seems to snag the ball in at a higher rate. that's what it seems like to me.

smith hasn't been perfect but whenever the chips were down this year he's delivered. the playoffs is gonna be the big test to see how far our offense has come.

Smith has hit a couple of the longer sideline throws. He has missed FAR more. Even the ball to Davis this week was underthrown.

Last year crabtree was popping the ball in the air, but this year it hasn't been a major problem. He did it once several weeks ago, but that's the only time I can remember him doing so this season. Of course, a WR is much more likely to pop it up when the QB throws high, and Smith has had a tendency to do that when throwing to Crabtree.

I agree Smith has delivered when we've asked him to. I'd still be nervous about signing him to anything more than a 2-3 year deal at this point, unless he's ok playing for low-to-mid level starters money.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I completely disagree - Throwing a five-yard out on a 3rd & 8 when you had six in the seam is a mistake and Smith missed plenty of those types of opportunities. So to say he minimized his mistakes is a misnomer - he minimized his turnovers - not his mistakes.

I included missing open receivers when referring to his mistakes earlier in the thread. That's a huge problem Smith has had throughout his career and continues to have this season, though as in other areas he has improved here as well. I am not claiming that Smith's improvement in protecting the football makes him a great or even particularly good QB. In fact, I am arguing precisely the opposite. Only his reduction in glaring errors - namely the turnovers, as you correctly note - has kept him in the conversation as even a pretty good QB, and he's still fairly mediocre in my book. I'm not entirely sure what you "completely disagree" with.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

First, I disagree that he has thrown that ball well. He underthrew Davis today. I can't recall any deep sideline routes last week, other than perhaps the long ball to Crabtree - which was a nice ball. I don't see how making that throw once or twice changes the fact that it's an area of weakness for him, though. Obviously he's capable of throwing it well occasionally. He still hasn't shown he can do it consistently. Not to mention to a fast receiver.

I have absolutely no problem bringing Smith back. I think he's a solid starter who gives us a chance in most games. But I wouldn't give him a Fitzpatrick-esque contract, and I'd be very reluctant to give him five years at starter money.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think I would pull that trigger. I believe Harbaugh can do more with Sanchez then Ryan, and I think Mark has a higher ceiling than Alex.

I would tend to agree re: ceiling, but I don't have much confidence in Sanchez. With a great OL and run game, not to mention a fairly talented cast of skill players, he's been pretty bad. He lacks accuracy and just plays dumb sometimes. Coaching might improve some of that, but I'd rather take the safer player in Smith than take a chance on Sanchez. Kaepernick has a higher ceiling than either.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I completely disagree - Throwing a five-yard out on a 3rd & 8 when you had six in the seam is a mistake and Smith missed plenty of those types of opportunities. So to say he minimized his mistakes is a misnomer - he minimized his turnovers - not his mistakes.

I included missing open receivers when referring to his mistakes earlier in the thread. That's a huge problem Smith has had throughout his career and continues to have this season, though as in other areas he has improved here as well. I am not claiming that Smith's improvement in protecting the football makes him a great or even particularly good QB. In fact, I am arguing precisely the opposite. Only his reduction in glaring errors - namely the turnovers, as you correctly note - has kept him in the conversation as even a pretty good QB, and he's still fairly mediocre in my book. I'm not entirely sure what you "completely disagree" with.

MW makes an astute point here and an accurate assessment of Smith's performance.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would tend to agree re: ceiling, but I don't have much confidence in Sanchez. With a great OL and run game, not to mention a fairly talented cast of skill players, he's been pretty bad. He lacks accuracy and just plays dumb sometimes. Coaching might improve some of that, but I'd rather take the safer player in Smith than take a chance on Sanchez. Kaepernick has a higher ceiling than either.

I think Harbaugh would bring out some improvement in those areas that Rex Ryan could not. Sanchez also has the arm strength and quick release to make some of the throws that Smith cannot. This could open up some areas of the offense. This is just "what if" stuff anyway but I'd be OK starting out next season with Smith as the starting QB.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Harbaugh would bring out some improvement in those areas that Rex Ryan could not. Sanchez also has the arm strength and quick release to make some of the throws that Smith cannot. This could open up some areas of the offense. This is just "what if" stuff anyway but I'd be OK starting out next season with Smith as the starting QB.

Exactly!! Perfectly said!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
MW makes an astute point here and an accurate assessment of Smith's performance.

I don't disagree. In fact, I acknowledged as much. But I fail to see how his position represents one that "completely disagrees" with mine. Even if turnovers are not his only mistakes, by minimizing turnovers Smith has minimized crucial mistakes and kept himself in the discussion of good NFL QBs even though his play otherwise probably doesn't merit it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I definitely agree on the quick release and arm strength. I don't think that's much of a debate. And certainly Harbaugh should be able to rein in some of the dumb decisions. The accuracy concerns me more than anything, and I don't know how much Harbaugh would be able to change that, especially in a player whose mechanics are fairly sound. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to Sanchez, but I'd prefer to stick with Smith and Kaepernick.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't disagree. In fact, I acknowledged as much. But I fail to see how his position represents one that "completely disagrees" with mine. Even if turnovers are not his only mistakes, by minimizing turnovers Smith has minimized crucial mistakes and kept himself in the discussion of good NFL QBs even though his play otherwise probably doesn't merit it.

I can't argue with that. Not turning the ball over has been a huge benefit for this team. They don't "give" you any points. What Smith does makes other teams earn what they get.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I definitely agree on the quick release and arm strength. I don't think that's much of a debate. And certainly Harbaugh should be able to rein in some of the dumb decisions. The accuracy concerns me more than anything, and I don't know how much Harbaugh would be able to change that, especially in a player whose mechanics are fairly sound. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to Sanchez, but I'd prefer to stick with Smith and Kaepernick.

It probably would at least interest you though if the Jets offered you, as the 49ers GM, Sanchez straight up for Smith, wouldn't it? I think its a very intriguing question.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It probably would at least interest you though if the Jets offered you, as the 49ers GM, Sanchez straight up for Smith, wouldn't it? I think its a very intriguing question.

Yeah, definitely something that I think would demand consideration. That's one of the nice things about Harbaugh. He makes you feel like we could have any QB and we'd be in the mix. Now if we could only get a legitimately good/great guy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i view Sanchez as another stop gap and as such, IMO stick with Alex. not arguing Sanchez doesn't have a higher ceiling, but how much higher? just reading comments above, think most agree its not much higher?

Alex Smith ALREADY has a comfortable working relationship with Coaches and players. he is already well immersed in the playbook and can make ALL the audibles. he's already proven he can lead this team to regular season wins.

we shouldn't mess with current chemistry for little gain? again, i view both as stop gaps anyway, neither would be the 'future'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, definitely something that I think would demand consideration. That's one of the nice things about Harbaugh. He makes you feel like we could have any QB and we'd be in the mix. Now if we could only get a legitimately good/great guy.

Another is that he definitely makes you feel like you have a guy who knows what he's doing in there, a professional. I didn't have that feeling about Singletary or Nolan.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sanchez has been in the same offense and these half step improvements are there but he is still going full tard about once a month. You can't throw games away like that and be worthy of starting unless you are Drew Brees throwing 40 times a game and you take the losses because he wins you lots more.