• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the 49ers long-term plan at quarterback?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally have never been a CK fan. I've seen several UNR games from about 05-11. When CK came he was really hyped, then he was super inaccurate. It used to be painful to watch him throw. Then in the middle of his jr season he started to hit his passes. I used to say that his throwing motion would never make it in the league. His best chance to me looked as a wildcat qb. When we drafted him I cringed. I also cringed at Aldon Smith (at first) until I started looking at his highlights and his hand usage. CK on the other hand I just can't find what to look foward to. In the games 49 games he's played in so far I like his slants and other short throws, it's just that when he does that huge windup to throw past 25 yards I don't see how those routes won't get jumped?
I don't want them to pay Alex a huge contract though, that's putting me on the Matt Flynn wagon. I like his quick compact delivery. He's also sat behind a great one to learn the ins and outs, as well as being on a championship team.
Josh Johnson is my other. I've been on his wagon for a while now. It's mostly due to his relationship with Harbaugh, as well as his compact, quick delivery. I also love his arm strength and footwork, as well as his foot speed.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I personally have never been a CK fan. I've seen several UNR games from about 05-11. When CK came he was really hyped, then he was super inaccurate. It used to be painful to watch him throw. Then in the middle of his jr season he started to hit his passes. I used to say that his throwing motion would never make it in the league. His best chance to me looked as a wildcat qb. When we drafted him I cringed. I also cringed at Aldon Smith (at first) until I started looking at his highlights and his hand usage. CK on the other hand I just can't find what to look foward to. In the games 49 games he's played in so far I like his slants and other short throws, it's just that when he does that huge windup to throw past 25 yards I don't see how those routes won't get jumped?
I don't want them to pay Alex a huge contract though, that's putting me on the Matt Flynn wagon. I like his quick compact delivery. He's also sat behind a great one to learn the ins and outs, as well as being on a championship team.
Josh Johnson is my other. I've been on his wagon for a while now. It's mostly due to his relationship with Harbaugh, as well as his compact, quick delivery. I also love his arm strength and footwork, as well as his foot speed.

I wonder what Harbaugh saw in CK?

Most of the comments I read about Kaepernick praised his arm strength and how quickly the ball gets to the receiver.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what Harbaugh saw in CK?

Most of the comments I read about Kaepernick praised his arm strength and how quickly the ball gets to the receiver.

True. That and how much of an athlete he is. Double the athlete of Tebow. From what I've read, Harbaugh is a huge fan of athletic qb's, CK fits the bill for sure. I just worry about that throwing motion that he hasn't seemed to shake yet.
Colin Kaepernick - YouTube
See that hitch when he throws the deep ball? He doesn't do it on the short passes, he actually has a quick release on those. It's just the deep balls that allow the db's to jump the routes if they are close. I think it was a big reason for his turnovers in the preseason.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
True. That and how much of an athlete he is. Double the athlete of Tebow. From what I've read, Harbaugh is a huge fan of athletic qb's, CK fits the bill for sure. I just worry about that throwing motion that he hasn't seemed to shake yet.
Colin Kaepernick - YouTube
See that hitch when he throws the deep ball? He doesn't do it on the short passes, he actually has a quick release on those. It's just the deep balls that allow the db's to jump the routes if they are close. I think it was a big reason for his turnovers in the preseason.

I can see it a bit on the long passes and he certainly needs some polish but I still have high hopes for the guy. He is fun to watch play.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at our spot in the draft Kaep and Mallet were about the only 2 left wotrh considering. Werent there rumors that Harbaugh wanted Dalton? Anyways lets just let Kaep sit back and learn as much as he can before he gets his shot. Dont want to rush him in so fast.

Will be intersesting what they do next year, im sure they will resign alex and have Kaep be the backup or let them battle it out in camp. But i wonder how harbaugh feels about Tolzien, and if he likes him as the 3rd QB or maybe better? Or if he wants to add a better QB to duel it out with Kaep and Smith? or whovever else.

polfnikufesin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because CK is already on the team, was a much better college player, has a higher ceiling, and was a much higher pick.

Anymore stupid questions?

Already on the team? Stupid reason

Was a much better college player? Ryan Leaf was better than both of them.....stupid comment!

Has a higher ceiling? Mine are like 20 feet or some shit, never been to CK's or Flynn's house but......stupid reason because you can't say that for a fact.

Was a much higher draft pick? Alex Smith was higher than Rodgers. Do I even have to tell you how stupid that reason was???

So, do YOU have anymore stupid questions????:rockon:

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this debate I forgot all about Scott Tolzien, then I seen (I forgot who) his name posted. You know he could be the darkhorse in this qb shuffle. His accuracy is better than most. Coming into the draft his only problem was his arm strength, which isn't Ken Dorsey like by any means. He had a very productive career with the Badgers. His last season he was over 70% completions. His preseason was excellent also, with San Diego. Especially with the of offense we've been running (minimal deep passes), he could take over next season.
Scott Tolzien Highlights - YouTube
I really liked him as a late round pick coming into this draft. I kind of forgot about him through the whole process though. Keep an eye on him, he could be our starter next season, defenitely before CK.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already on the team? Stupid reason

How so? We don't have to trade for Kap because he's already on the team. We have to trade for Flynn since he's not on the team. Do you understand the difference?

Was a much better college player? Ryan Leaf was better than both of them.....stupid comment!

What does that have to do with anything? Neither Flynn or Kap have proven anything on the field. All we know right now is what they were as prospects.

Who would you rather have, Flynn or Luck?

Has a higher ceiling? Mine are like 20 feet or some shit, never been to CK's or Flynn's house but......stupid reason because you can't say that for a fact.

I'll take that as a concession.

Was a much higher draft pick? Alex Smith was higher than Rodgers. Do I even have to tell you how stupid that reason was???

And Peyton Manning was higher than Ryan Leaf. Cam Newton was higher than Blaine Gabbert. Matt Ryan was higher than Flacco. Stafford was higher than Sanchez and Freeman. Carson Palmer was higher than Byron Leftwich. Your point?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well at our spot in the draft Kaep and Mallet were about the only 2 left wotrh considering. Werent there rumors that Harbaugh wanted Dalton? Anyways lets just let Kaep sit back and learn as much as he can before he gets his shot. Dont want to rush him in so fast.

Will be intersesting what they do next year, im sure they will resign alex and have Kaep be the backup or let them battle it out in camp. But i wonder how harbaugh feels about Tolzien, and if he likes him as the 3rd QB or maybe better? Or if he wants to add a better QB to duel it out with Kaep and Smith? or whovever else.

yep, the team had to get that pass rusher 1st round, so we were too far back in round 2. Baalke did make a move up so we should be glad there's a QB harbaugh likes. that said, IMO most have too high of expectations for CK? feel he'll be ok and able to start, but not expecting him to be a top NFL QB.

yeah, i'd think they'll go into the off-season with the same QB corps? the only thing to disrupt it is if a top prospect FALLS in the draft? it might not be round 1 either.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so? We don't have to trade for Kap because he's already on the team. We have to trade for Flynn since he's not on the team. Do you understand the difference?

What does that have to do with anything? Neither Flynn or Kap have proven anything on the field. All we know right now is what they were as prospects.

And Peyton Manning was higher than Ryan Leaf. Cam Newton was higher than Blaine Gabbert. Matt Ryan was higher than Flacco. Stafford was higher than Sanchez and Freeman. Carson Palmer was higher than Byron Leftwich. Your point?

Just to touch on one thing about Flynn. If Harbaugh likes something from him he's an ufa. No trade needed. As is Josh Johnson this upcoming season.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just to touch on one thing about Flynn. If Harbaugh likes something from him he's an ufa. No trade needed. As is Josh Johnson this upcoming season.

Sign one of them, make them the starter and let Smith walk?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd have to trust the staff on that one. I actually think we might have a gem in Tolzien. I really don't care for Kaep. If Smith takes alot less to sign for about 3 seasons I think we have to stick with that route until the wheels fall off.

polfnikufesin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

He's a UFA, that's how so

Luck is not even a possibility so why even ask such a stupid question?

Jack Thompson, Phil Simms, and Steve Fuller were not only taken before Joe Montana, they were taken 2 rounds before Joe. So what's YOUR point????

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Baalke can't let Smith walk, cause we're not going to find a better stop gap QB.

if Alex Smith was 'below average' this season, easy call. if he was 'average', not THAT easy but guessing we wouldn't resign him. Alex Smith has not only played 'above average', but been mostly consistent. if others want to use 'good' fine, not worth arguing over.

imagine we bring in another vet and he struggles next season? we might start the season 1-3 and you either stick with him or go with CK ready or not. the fan base would go ranting and 'fan base' includes the very ones here calling for a new QB.

we all know Alex doesn't have a high ceiling so not saying he's the 'future'. we're just in a tough spot now and timing just isn't good. be glad we do have a solid stop gap QB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd have to trust the staff on that one. I actually think we might have a gem in Tolzien. I really don't care for Kaep. If Smith takes alot less to sign for about 3 seasons I think we have to stick with that route until the wheels fall off.

it'll be until Harbaugh develops a better QB

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically whatever the staff feels is better with the team i trust it. Whether they feel Alex starts next year, Kaep or even Tolzien. I will feel confident Harbs knows what hes doing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Basically whatever the staff feels is better with the team i trust it. Whether they feel Alex starts next year, Kaep or even Tolzien. I will feel confident Harbs knows what hes doing.

yes, eventually someone will be better than Alex Smith, it may be as near as 2013?

meanwhile, we KNOW Alex pays well enough and consistent enough, to win games.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?

One thing Flynn has shown he can do better is his ability to move around in the pocket and avoid pressure. I haven't seen CK show that ability yet and that is one of my big concerns with him right now. I'm not saying he can't do it, but i haven't seen it yet.