• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the 49ers long-term plan at quarterback?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I live in LA and had the unfortunate luck of being in a market without a football team with the nearest one being SD. I saw a lot of Tolzien in the pre-season and I honestly was FAR more impressed with his skill set then Kap honestly. Yes, Kap is more athletic and is more talented, but Tolzien possesses accuracy and a very quick release while making good, quick decisions. Again, it was pre-season so it ain't exactly like these two went against the Steel Curtain, but I could see Tolzien doing as well, if not better, then Alex Smith if he has a grasp of the offense. If Alex is willing to sign for relatively cheap for a short term contract, then great. But like Clyde said, a lot of Alex's success has more to do with Harbaugh protecting his psyche with a low risk, low reward offense centered around Gore. In the same offense, what could someone as accurate as Tolzien do? He had like a 70% completion rate at Wisconsin, curious for his future.

accuracy and quick decision making will win out over athleticism.

don't know who has how much of which, so not judging CK nor Tolzien. just saying the successful QB's are much more about accuracy and decision making.

yep, with a better QB we then HAVE the option of doing more on offense. right now we have no choice but to 'protect' Alex. they've been trying more last three games which is good, but with a better QB...........'trying' becomes 'executing'.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

don't know who has how much of which, so not judging CK nor Tolzien. just saying the successful QB's are much more about accuracy and decision making.

yep, with a better QB we then HAVE the option of doing more on offense. right now we have no choice but to 'protect' Alex. They've been trying more last three games which is good, but with a better QB...........'trying' becomes 'executing'.

Oooo, Well said Hawaiian Man!

That reminds me of TM that was all the craze back in the 80's...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yep, with a better QB we then HAVE the option of doing more on offense. right now we have no choice but to 'protect' Alex. they've been trying more last three games which is good, but with a better QB...........'trying' becomes 'executing'.

look at all the top qb's and they have time in the pocket. it is not possible to execute an offense without a good offensive line. look at cutler, it wasn't until they altered the offense to more 3 step drops that cutler started to play better. we move to 3 step drops against the steelers and it helps the offense, but it also limits the offense to shorter passes.

i'm hoping we build upon what worked in the steelers game. we can't blow another game by trying things out

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If another QB isn't added to the mix, the Tolzien/Kaep battle will be on! Tolzien was so impressive in that final pre-season game. Deadly accurate and looked very natural.

I really want to see it in Kaep, but something about him doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Maybe it's because he throws like a girl (an extremely athletic girl).

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If another QB isn't added to the mix, the Tolzien/Kaep battle will be on! Tolzien was so impressive in that final pre-season game. Deadly accurate and looked very natural.

I really want to see it in Kaep, but something about him doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Maybe it's because he throws like a girl (an extremely athletic girl).

LMAO!!! That just made my day better!

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ProFootballTalk reports that Colin Kaepernick’s top throw was clocked on the radar gun at a galactic 59 MPH, putting him ahead of Ryan Mallett’s 58 MPH and Cam Newton’s 56 MPH.
Colin Kaepernick: Strongest Arm in the Draft? NFL Gridiron Gab

When Trent Baalke went on CSN bay area he said that Colin's thrown football at the combine, when measured had the fastest speed leaving his hand as well as reaching a receiver out of all of the quarterbacks at the combine.
Colin Kaepernick's arm strength - ************.com Forum

49ers rookie QB Colin Kaepernick has reportedly looked super-impressive in player-organized workouts. According to Pro Football Weekly, he “literally knocked free-agent WR Lance Long off his feet on one slant route.” Although QB Alex Smith is considered the heavy favorite to be under center for the ‘Niners come Week 1, Kaepernick has a clear edge in the talent department. There’s a good chance he takes the reins of this offense at some point in 2011.
Colin Kaepernick impressing with arm strength|Pro Player Insiders

According to FOX Sports’ Adam Caplan, Kaepernick was “great” on Monday and “by far” the best quarterback in practice on Wednesday. CBS’ Rob Rang noted Kaepernick’s “spectacular” arm strength. Rotoworld’s Michael Schottey observed that Kaepernick “threw the ball as well as anyone,” generating “buzz from team scouts.”
Colin Kaepernick may be making Cutler-like climb | ProFootballTalk

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Say the Niners get to the NFC Championship game or even further and people start to take a little mroe notice of Alex Smith. If the Niners tag him this offseason does he have any trade value at all? Would ANY team trade something just for the right to negotate a contract with him?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Say the Niners get to the NFC Championship game or even further and people start to take a little mroe notice of Alex Smith. If the Niners tag him this offseason does he have any trade value at all? Would ANY team trade something just for the right to negotate a contract with him?

I don't think so, Sick. I think that would be a waste of a tag, IMO.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ProFootballTalk reports that Colin Kaepernick’s top throw was clocked on the radar gun at a galactic 59 MPH, putting him ahead of Ryan Mallett’s 58 MPH and Cam Newton’s 56 MPH.
Colin Kaepernick: Strongest Arm in the Draft? NFL Gridiron Gab

When Trent Baalke went on CSN bay area he said that Colin's thrown football at the combine, when measured had the fastest speed leaving his hand as well as reaching a receiver out of all of the quarterbacks at the combine.
Colin Kaepernick's arm strength - ************.com Forum

49ers rookie QB Colin Kaepernick has reportedly looked super-impressive in player-organized workouts. According to Pro Football Weekly, he “literally knocked free-agent WR Lance Long off his feet on one slant route.” Although QB Alex Smith is considered the heavy favorite to be under center for the ‘Niners come Week 1, Kaepernick has a clear edge in the talent department. There’s a good chance he takes the reins of this offense at some point in 2011.
Colin Kaepernick impressing with arm strength|Pro Player Insiders

According to FOX Sports’ Adam Caplan, Kaepernick was “great” on Monday and “by far” the best quarterback in practice on Wednesday. CBS’ Rob Rang noted Kaepernick’s “spectacular” arm strength. Rotoworld’s Michael Schottey observed that Kaepernick “threw the ball as well as anyone,” generating “buzz from team scouts.”
Colin Kaepernick may be making Cutler-like climb | ProFootballTalk

no wonder we're using offensive linemen on pass patterns. if kap becomes the qb we won't be able to use wr's

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everyone here knows what i meant...when you get called on it, you say you're not as 'vocal'. you get defensive whenever you get questioned about your 'hate' for Alex. jeez

anyways, we likely agree on Alex Smith so we'll leave him at that.

we don't disagree on CK's ability cause neither of us knows? what we disagree with is 'gambling' he pans out? we'll look pretty bad trying to low ball Alex, and we go 6-10 next season? i'm not a huge fan of Alex's upside, but we're in a tough spot. at least he'll get us to the play-offs next season whereas if CK fails, no outs.

I know what you meant. I'm saying you're wrong. I've been repeatedly vocal about Smith this year. I haven't been trying to "hide" anything. He's a cog that is, IMO, relatively easy to replace.

Of course it's gambling to go with Kaepernick. Every move we make every off-season is gambling. Using that logic we should never replace Alex Smith. Maybe I have more faith in Harbaugh and Roman's system than you, but I think they can, at the very least, manage the 31st passing offense out of Kaepernick.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what you meant. I'm saying you're wrong. I've been repeatedly vocal about Smith this year. I haven't been trying to "hide" anything. He's a cog that is, IMO, relatively easy to replace.

Of course it's gambling to go with Kaepernick. Every move we make every off-season is gambling. Using that logic we should never replace Alex Smith. Maybe I have more faith in Harbaugh and Roman's system than you, but I think they can, at the very least, manage the 31st passing offense out of Kaepernick.

They can manage the 31st ranking passing offense, but what about turnovers?? I know Smith is having a great year in terms of turnovers but do you think CK will be able to keep them to a minimum?? Or do you think the system in place will reduce his turnovers? I go back and forth about him. One day I think he just might turn into something, then I'm not so sure. It's tough to tell when he hasn't seen the field vs number 1's.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can manage the 31st ranking passing offense, but what about turnovers?? I know Smith is having a great year in terms of turnovers but do you think CK will be able to keep them to a minimum?? Or do you think the system in place will reduce his turnovers? I go back and forth about him. One day I think he just might turn into something, then I'm not so sure. It's tough to tell when he hasn't seen the field vs number 1's.

I agree his turnovers are what scare me the most. Granted that was just a few games in pre-season but Alex has done a tremendous job of limiting them this yr. Of course we will never know what we have in Kaep until we try him. Hoping we can lock up the #2 seed after this week so Kaep can get in there week 17. I realize the Rams arent world beaters but any work for kaep is huge, hes just an inury away from playing.

Also of course if we win and the Pack lose there is still a chance at the #1 seed and week 17 meaning something.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Cog theory is wishful thinking.

You would think professional QB would be able to do a serviceable job. That isn't always the case.

Some struggle to be at the Rex Grossman career and 2011 71 QB Rating.

Look at the utter fail of Caleb Hanie.

I don't like the idea of trying to nurture a young QB and try to win. It can stunt growth.

They should try and throw the ball in 3ish seconds. If they throw 1 2 or 3 INTs in a game so be it.

Taking sacks or running for 3 yards are not the keys to victory. Good for not losing but should focus of the point of a QB and let the default settings just happen later on.
Like in baseball it doesn't help to stand back and off the plate. If you see a ball coming at you the reaction to get out of the way is automatic.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we're placing way too much expectations on CK. if we can avoid forcing him into the line-up, we should.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've already conceded that Kap will probably make more mistakes. But I also think he'll make more plays in both the passing and rushing games. At what point does it even out?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we're placing way too much expectations on CK. if we can avoid forcing him into the line-up, we should.

I am a firm believer in raising QB's the Bill Walsh way, the way he raised Joe. You put young QB's in games during situations where you know they can be successful. You develop QB's from the inside out and from the mind down. Develop their confidence that they can play at this level.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am a firm believer in raising QB's the Bill Walsh way, the way he raised Joe. You put young QB's in games during situations where you know they can be successful. You develop QB's from the inside out and from the mind down. Develop their confidence that they can play at this level.

yes, no problem with this way.

when you say put in games...............are you referring to the last two games, beginning of next season, or just in general?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yes, no problem with this way.

when you say put in games...............are you referring to the last two games, beginning of next season, or just in general?

In general - as Harbaugh did with Kap in the TB game. Putting Kap in a safe, predictable environment where the probability for success is high and a mistake isn't going to impact the outcome.

Now, I do expect Kap will get the last half, or at least a relatively significant amount of playing time, during the St. Louis game if we win Saturday and NO loses Monday.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general - as Harbaugh did with Kap in the TB game. Putting Kap in a safe, predictable environment where the probability for success is high and a mistake isn't going to impact the outcome.

Now, I do expect Kap will get the last half, or at least a relatively significant amount of playing time, during the St. Louis game if we win Saturday and NO loses Monday.

What if we win this week and the saint lose, but the packers lose as well? That number 1 seed could come down to the last week.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What if we win this week and the saint lose, but the packers lose as well? That number 1 seed could come down to the last week.

Great point, '83! Yeah, I believe that changes the strategy. If the #1 seed is up for grabs I believe you have to play to win it. Thus it becomes a scoreboard decision as to when or if Kap sees any action vs. the Rams...imo.