• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the 49ers long-term plan at quarterback?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pre-season statistics are about as useful as sperm on a bed-post. Pre-season is for nothing more than player evals., and short term statistics tell you exactly nothing about a players talent and ability.

mostly agree

not sure pre-season is considered 'short term' for a rookie QB, but i get the gist.

there won't be much GAME film on CK to evaluate either.

sooooooo...........there's no reason to play hardball with Alex, thinking you can always start CK. this is asking for problems next season and then later.......blame Baalke for playing hardball.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
mostly agree

not sure pre-season is considered 'short term' for a rookie QB, but i get the gist.

there won't be much GAME film on CK to evaluate either.

sooooooo...........there's no reason to play hardball with Alex, thinking you can always start CK. this is asking for problems next season and then later.......blame Baalke for playing hardball.

I think the game plan with Alex is fairly simple - you stick with the guy until either CK, or Tolzien (or other) is clearly the better option, or until our needs at the position exceed Smith's capacity to fill those needs.

One thing is absolutely certain, this 'Alex Smith' strategy will not produce 11-13 wins every year. At some point, sooner rather than later I suspect, we will need a better QB.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the game plan with Alex is fairly simple - you stick with the guy until either CK, or Tolzien (or other) is clearly the better option, or until our needs at the position exceed Smith's capacity to fill those needs.

One thing is absolutely certain, this 'Alex Smith' strategy will not produce 11-13 wins every year. At some point, sooner rather than later I suspect, we will need a better QB.

That is absolutely not for certain. Look at the Ravens. I could see us winning 10 or 11 a year with this team and QB and philosophy for several years. I also don't think Alex Smith has played his best season yet and eventually we should be able to rely on him and the offense more if the D is having a bad game/year. I don't expect a 33td 4,000 yard season anytime soon or ever but you don't necessarily need that to be a perennial contender.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

ahhh, this is worded better.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is absolutely not for certain. Look at the Ravens. I could see us winning 10 or 11 a year with this team and QB and philosophy for several years. I also don't think Alex Smith has played his best season yet and eventually we should be able to rely on him and the offense more if the D is having a bad game/year. I don't expect a 33td 4,000 yard season anytime soon or ever but you don't necessarily need that to be a perennial contender.

even if we win 10-11 next 'several' years, is this good enough for serious SB contention? next year the expectations will already be a SB win.

as the team around him gets better, no doubt Alex can improve a little more. but IMO, for his own play............he's basically at his best now. can we rely on this current play to win a SB?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

There it is, right there, Hate. If you're right then Alex would be his own improvement, but if what we are seeing is Smith's peak, then I believe this experiment will be short lived.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ok let's say it came down to re-signing Alex Smith, or going with Kaepernick at QB and re-signing Carlos Rogers?

Which would you pick?

I really think Alex is playing well, but with the same coaching and opportunity Kaepernick or even Tolzien may be able to play at the same level.

If we beat the Seahawks, and Saints lose to the Falcons, and we lock up #2 seed, maybe let Kaepernick see the field in week 17 against the Rams?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok let's say it came down to re-signing Alex Smith, or going with Kaepernick at QB and re-signing Carlos Rogers?

Which would you pick?

I really think Alex is playing well, but with the same coaching and opportunity Kaepernick or even Tolzien may be able to play at the same level.

If we beat the Seahawks, and Saints lose to the Falcons, and we lock up #2 seed, maybe let Kaepernick see the field in week 17 against the Rams?

No maybe about it, that would definitely happen.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if we win 10-11 next 'several' years, is this good enough for serious SB contention? next year the expectations will already be a SB win.

as the team around him gets better, no doubt Alex can improve a little more. but IMO, for his own play............he's basically at his best now. can we rely on this current play to win a SB?

In short yes we could win a SB with Smith at the helm. It is definitely possible - and not just because by definition anything is possible.

I think he's playing the best he ever has but I don't think it's his peak. I don't think this team is at its peak.

I'm not saying we are gonna go all 80's and dominate this decade... But look at it this way P Manning only won 1 Superbowl Favre 1 Trent Dilfer 1... I think the only current QBs who have won multiple SBs are Rapethisburger and Brady? I might be wrong about that. I would guess there'll be a couple more (Rodgers maybe Brees) but the point is it's not very common that a QB wins more than 1 SB. Do I think we could win 1 SB with Smith, yeah.

There is more than one way to win a Superbowl. We could do it with a steady and secure offensive startegy and dominate D.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which would you pick?

I pick both that isn't going to happen I don't believe. And if it did I still pick Smith.

I'm sick of unproven/rookie QBs (isn't that ironic?) Everbody always wants the backup/rookie. We Want Carr/Rattay/Dorsey/Pickett/Dilfer(ha)/Hill/O'shitagain/TSmith... I want a little stability. I want to see what we can do with that.

But if we can get Brees fuck it ;) and since we can't then fuck rookies.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

considering we have the best d in the league it should be good enough to win a super bowl. no matter who the qb is, we need better offensive line play. if we get behind in a game teams will just blitz every down until the line can pick it up. some teams have shown the blueprint for confusing the offensive line.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I also don't think Alex Smith has quite peaked, but for all intent and purposes he is what he is. He'll continue to get incrementally better in the same system with Harbaugh and probably throw for around 230 yards per game.

By the way he's been able to eliminate the killer mistakes from his game, I'm optimistic he'll keep working to make minor improvements in the same system. Accuracy will always be an issue for him. He's better in the short passing game than in the past, so that could extend to the longer touch passes with a full off-season in the same system and a lot (I mean a lot) of repetition. But that type of play will always be a weakness, and I don't ever envision him consistently hitting those big plays.

One place where he needs to consistently get better is recognizing the defense and decisively exploit it. Stepping up in that area would really help things out for this offense.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pick both that isn't going to happen I don't believe. And if it did I still pick Smith.

I'm sick of unproven/rookie QBs (isn't that ironic?) Everbody always wants the backup/rookie. We Want Carr/Rattay/Dorsey/Pickett/Dilfer(ha)/Hill/O'shitagain/TSmith... I want a little stability. I want to see what we can do with that.

But if we can get Brees fuck it ;) and since we can't then fuck rookies.

What I don't understand is how some people think Kaepernick would be an improvement over Smith. Has anyone, besides the coaching staff, seen Kaepernick play more than a handful of snaps? NO!

If smith and WR are having timing issues, would there not be more of these issues with the back up QB? The back up QB, who gets limited repetitions with the 1st team.

It is ridiculous.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep scares me a little, i feel he would turn the ball over a lot. Just my feeling tho, would love to see what hes got tho if we can clinch #2 seed after this week with a win and saints loss.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in LA and had the unfortunate luck of being in a market without a football team with the nearest one being SD. I saw a lot of Tolzien in the pre-season and I honestly was FAR more impressed with his skill set then Kap honestly. Yes, Kap is more athletic and is more talented, but Tolzien possesses accuracy and a very quick release while making good, quick decisions. Again, it was pre-season so it ain't exactly like these two went against the Steel Curtain, but I could see Tolzien doing as well, if not better, then Alex Smith if he has a grasp of the offense. If Alex is willing to sign for relatively cheap for a short term contract, then great. But like Clyde said, a lot of Alex's success has more to do with Harbaugh protecting his psyche with a low risk, low reward offense centered around Gore. In the same offense, what could someone as accurate as Tolzien do? He had like a 70% completion rate at Wisconsin, curious for his future.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Which would you pick?

not THAT easy a call, but i'll go with Alex Smith. although i still nit pick him, he's taken a step up AND, been consistent there. he's not elite but he's playing well enough within our system.

CK may just turn out to be as good but when? yes, with the right opportunity (ie time), CK or Tolzien could play to this level. but is an off-season for CK enough time? cause if not, we could face a losing streak in no time. it'll kill all the momentum from 2011.

winning cures a lot of ills, and losing exaggerates it.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I also don't think Alex Smith has quite peaked, but for all intent and purposes he is what he is. He'll continue to get incrementally better in the same system with Harbaugh and probably throw for around 230 yards per game.

By the way he's been able to eliminate the killer mistakes from his game, I'm optimistic he'll keep working to make minor improvements in the same system. Accuracy will always be an issue for him. He's better in the short passing game than in the past, so that could extend to the longer touch passes with a full off-season in the same system and a lot (I mean a lot) of repetition. But that type of play will always be a weakness, and I don't ever envision him consistently hitting those big plays.

One place where he needs to consistently get better is recognizing the defense and decisively exploit it. Stepping up in that area would really help things out for this offense.

There it is, right there.

If I could see Smith decisively, confidently and consistently command the offense I think that would change my mind about the guy. IMHO, he is the same Alex Smith with only improved statistics. The 'thing' that separates the average QB's from the great QB's, IMO, is still missing within him.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not THAT easy a call, but i'll go with Alex Smith. although i still nit pick him, he's taken a step up AND, been consistent there. he's not elite but he's playing well enough within our system.

CK may just turn out to be as good but when? yes, with the right opportunity (ie time), CK or Tolzien could play to this level. but is an off-season for CK enough time? cause if not, we could face a losing streak in no time. it'll kill all the momentum from 2011.

winning cures a lot of ills, and losing exaggerates it.

So True!!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I live in LA and had the unfortunate luck of being in a market without a football team with the nearest one being SD. I saw a lot of Tolzien in the pre-season and I honestly was FAR more impressed with his skill set then Kap honestly. Yes, Kap is more athletic and is more talented, but Tolzien possesses accuracy and a very quick release while making good, quick decisions.

Again, it was pre-season so it ain't exactly like these two went against the Steel Curtain, but I could see Tolzien doing as well, if not better, then Alex Smith if he has a grasp of the offense.

If Alex is willing to sign for relatively cheap for a short term contract, then great. But like Clyde said, a lot of Alex's success has more to do with Harbaugh protecting his psyche with a low risk, low reward offense centered around Gore. In the same offense, what could someone as accurate as Tolzien do? He had like a 70% completion rate at Wisconsin, curious for his future.

That is what it looked like to me as well - I am very intrigued by Tolzien and hope to see more of him next season.