• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Well check this out Kirk lovers

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skip to content

https://thesportscapitol.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/cropped-LOGOstick300HR.jpg

" data-medium-file="https://i2.wp.com/thesportscapitol.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/cropped-LOGOstick300HR.jpg?fit=300%2C66&ssl=1" data-large-file="https://i2.wp.com/thesportscapitol.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/cropped-LOGOstick300HR.jpg?fit=1024%2C226&ssl=1" style="-x-ignore: 1">

MENU
D-Hall.jpg

hall not sure cousins wanted to be here
BY BEN STANDIG | FEB. 25, 2018
Whether the Redskins improved by swapping quarterback Kirk Cousins for Alex Smith is unclear. But, that teammates will no longer be relentlessly asked about the contract status for a player who wanted out should help the locker room, according to safety DeAngelo Hall.

Hall, the longest tenured player on the roster at the end of the 2017 season, said last week he was unsure if “Kirk wanted to be here” during an exclusive interview with The Sports Capitol.

With no signs of commitment from Cousins, who becomes a free agent without another franchise tag at $34.4 million, Washington struck a deal with Kansas City for Smith in January. The trade cannot be finalized until March 14.

“[Smith] wanted to be here,” Hall said. “When he was in Kansas City he reached out to those guys in Kansas City and told them, ‘Hey, I understand you guys want to move me. Could you try to get me to Washington? I really want to get to Washington.’ For a guy to really want us as a team, as teammates, that means a lot, that means a whole lot where, you know. It felt like Kirk was forced to be here. I wish nothing but the best for him and whatever is next for him, but this organization is doing nothing but going up.”

Questions from reporters about the Cousins contract conundrum became a year-long staple for Redskins players. Barring a dramatic ploy by the organization to hold Cousins’ rights, those questions will dissipate. Hall argues that the morale boost when players report for organized team activity sessions (OTAs) in May should be noticeable.

“Absolutely, it lifts the spirits, it lifts a weight, a burden (from) being asked that question,” Hall said.

Hall noted the Redskins have been through a similar situation when the team finally chose to move on from Robert Griffin III after the 2015 season. Cousins started all 16 games that year.

“I remember during the whole (Griffin) saga. ‘Is it RG or Kirk? Is it RG or Kirk?’” Hall said. “Then when [Griffin] was released…that lifted a burden off of us. That lifted the spirits in the locker room because we knew we had that one guy and there wasn’t a big divide about these guys like him and these guys like him. To have that one guy in Kirk at the time lifted the locker room. It’s kind of that same scenario.”

BREAKING BURGUNDY PODCAST: More from DeAngelo Hall on his future plans and the Redskins secondary.

Cousins, a three-year starter, played under the franchise tag in 2016 and 2017 after he and the Redskins could not agree on a long-term contract. The idea of using a third tag became financially and structurally untenable for the Redskins.

Redskins head coach Jay Gruden, speaking on his NBC4 television show in early January, didn’t think the relationship could continue on that way.

“I think something has to be done. I personally don’t want to go through another one-year deal, and just (continue) one year, one year,” Gruden said. “I think you want to have a quarterback in here that’s going to be here. And hopefully that is Kirk, and if not, we have to move on and do what we have to do as an organization.”

Hall, 34, also discussed his future options with The Sports Capitol, which include potentially returning to the Redskins for a 14th season or joining the organization in a non-playing capacity.

Hall’s tenure with the team provided lessons into how rosters are built, especially the dynamics of quarterback drama in a locker room, and the salary-cap crunch that comes with signing players to huge contracts that don’t work out, like former defensive end Albert Haynesworth.

NFL penalties levied against the Redskins and Dallas Cowboys for how they restructured contracts in 2010 impacted how much those teams had to spend in free agency in 2012 and 2013. That penalty combined with trading multiple draft picks for the right to select Griffin limited Washington’s ability to improve its roster.

“It’s the process,” Hall said. “Along that journey there are things that happened as far as trading for (Griffin) and losing draft picks. That set the franchise back. There was moving my money and Haynesworth’s money into the uncapped year [in 2010], which gave us a steep, steep cap penalty two years in a row. Didn’t allow us to get better in certain areas. To have all of that behind us and have (team president) Bruce Allen at the reigns — and Scot McCloughan was here for a little while helping out, and (senior vice president of player personnel) Doug Williams.

“To have all of those [front office] guys in place now, you can just see that things are running smoothly. Maybe it’s not the guy people want, but it’s the guy who can help us. I think this organization has done a great job. I know a lot of people are hurt that Kirk is moving on. I love Kirk, but I don’t know if Kirk wanted to be here. For us as an organization, we had to look for the next guy and Alex was the next guy.”

Photo by Joe Glorioso for The Sports Capitol

Post navigation
Previous Post
Next Post
THE SPORTS CAPITOL
Facebook Twitter Instagram

ABOUT
SUBSCRIBE
PODCASTS

A GO PONY MEDIA PRODUCT

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hall thinks Kirk did not want to be here wow just wow but I'm stupid just like Hall Then .. boom

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we needed D hall to tell us what most of us already knew.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the most interesting line from that article:

Hall, 34, also discussed his future options with The Sports Capitol, which include potentially returning to the Redskins for a 14th season or joining the organization in a non-playing capacity.

Hall is a smart guy. Say what Bruce Allen wants to hear and get rewarded with another season when its clearly time to retire.

D.Hall 2018 starting FS for your Washington Redskins!!!!

Another YES YES YES man waiting in the wings!

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe just Maybe when we drafted Kirk he did not want to be here

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach, what part of this don’t you understand.

1- Almost everybody knew KC didn’t want to be here. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to play under Bruce Allen. We aren’t mad about this offseason and losing KC. We are mad that it ever got to this offseason. We are mad he wasn’t re-signed mid 2015. We are mad he was tagged a second time.

2- We think the Alex Smith trade is just fucking stupid on its own merit. Alex is a poor fit in DC with no run game and defense. We think it was stupid to give up the best slot corner in football plus a third rounder for a 34 year old QB. Had Alex been a FA...fine.

3- We think we would be better off with a different FA QB than to have traded for a 34 year old Smith who FINALLY had a good season.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite part of a bad article - "With no signs of commitment from Cousins"

Ha ha. Because the Skins showed lots of commitment with their constant franchise tags.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My gut feeling is kirk this whole time was not going to resign ever the whole stinking time he was here which is not bruce and snyder or grudens Fault the Douche Noodle did not want to be here period so why blame the FO we had 0 chance NONE ..With that being said we got Alex a qb that wanted to be here and yes we will draft a qb this year or next dont rule that out we did the best we could like i said start the season with alex and colt or colt and a rookie .. might i add that we have knoking it out of the ball park with CBs so we will be fine fuller replacement dunbar holsey Fabian all good mad about the 3rd rounder but we get something maybe a extra 4rth or 2 6rounders who knows

Last edited:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team treated him like an unwanted rental that they had to live with. Why would he want to stay. Good for him he got out. But the smith trade was as bad as choosing Jeff George over brad Johnson. And i expect similar results

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and with todays news that case keenum wont be tagged and will hit FA makes the Steve deberg trade even dumber

keenum is younger , would cost about the same in salary , and we wouldnt have given up any assets

so if treading water is the new standard of coach then that was a smarter move . add to it his team showed up in conference title game while CDC checked in with another choke job against an inferior team

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and with todays news that case keenum wont be tagged and will hit FA makes the Steve deberg trade even dumber

keenum is younger , would cost about the same in salary , and we wouldnt have given up any assets

so if treading water is the new standard of coach then that was a smarter move . add to it his team showed up in conference title game while CDC checked in with another choke job against an inferior team
do you think keenum would have came here??? and if vikes let keenum walk for kirk then kirk is better then keenum i would take alex over keenum so lets began keenum vs alex debate lol

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats happens if the vikes fucked up? so are they going after kirk ??? and maybe keenum said i want a big pay day like Mr muffins

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats happens if the vikes fucked up? so are they going after kirk ??? and maybe keenum said i want a big pay day like Mr muffins
listen thrift shop , players try to get the most they can for their services so why not keenum ? maybe they like bridgewater , or bradford at a lower cost or maybe the can get KC to sign with a contender at a lower cost which would certainly make monkeys out of few people here

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
listen thrift shop , players try to get the most they can for their services so why not keenum ? maybe they like bridgewater , or bradford at a lower cost or maybe the can get KC to sign with a contender at a lower cost which would certainly make monkeys out of few people here
bingo that will prove we could not land him no matter what we did thats not FO fault thats Kirk fault i rest my case mic drop peice

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's instructive to understand WHEN folks around here realized that Kirk didn't want to stay here. The first inclination for me was sometime between the end of the 2014 off season and during the 2015 seasons. It became apparent with the first cap.

Last edited:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's instructive to understand WHEN folks around here realized that Kirk didn't want to stay here. The first inclination for me was sometime between the end of the 2014 off season and during the 2015 seasons. It became apparent with the first cap.

Thats odd though. because the first cap (tag actually) didnt take place until the 2016 off season. I think thats when he decided he might be better off getting out of Dodge as Bruce and Dan were still trying to figure out a way to not have him as the QB.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite part of a bad article - "With no signs of commitment from Cousins"

Ha ha. Because the Skins showed lots of commitment with their constant franchise tags.

A really good sign indicating when a situation is untenable happens when neither side want to budge. One side want to pay what they thought he was worth while the other wanted more than the first was willing to pay. Now that he's finally (actually nearly) gone, we'll see if his price tag matches his contribution. One thing is certain though, whatever his final price tag ends up being, he'll be under tremendous pressure to deliver. I wish him well wherever he lands, but my focus is here.