• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the 49ers long-term plan at quarterback?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In general - as Harbaugh did with Kap in the TB game. Putting Kap in a safe, predictable environment where the probability for success is high and a mistake isn't going to impact the outcome.

Now, I do expect Kap will get the last half, or at least a relatively significant amount of playing time, during the St. Louis game if we win Saturday and NO loses Monday.

under this scenario, no problem if Kap plays the 2nd half or most of it. i'd think we'd have a lead by then? cause if not keep playing to win, don't like losing any game and especially to the Rams.

btw - under this scenario we wrapped up the #2 seed, so there'll be debate of keeping sharp vs potential injury? but thats for another time, another thread.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
under this scenario, no problem if Kap plays the 2nd half or most of it. i'd think we'd have a lead by then? cause if not keep playing to win, don't like losing any game and especially to the Rams.

btw - under this scenario we wrapped up the #2 seed, so there'll be debate of keeping sharp vs potential injury? but thats for another time, another thread.

Yessir, your rilvary is duly noted - as for the sharp vs. injury dabate, like you said, that's for another day ;)

LONGBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Really? I try to "hide" how I feel about Alex Smith? That's news to me. I thought I've been pretty vocal about him this year.

I just don't think it'll be hard to replace Alex. I think a lot of what we're seeing this year is Harbaugh making it extremely simple for him. A lot of small-ball, high-percentage passes primarily inside the numbers. The only team attempting less passes per game than the 49ers are the Broncos, and we know who their QB is.

In the end, it doesn't seem that Harbaugh trusts Alex Smith as a QB, and you don't give a QB like that a 5-year contract. I think Harbaugh knows he can, at the very least, recreate this productivity with a more talented QB in Kaepernick. If not Kap, maybe a guy like Matt Moore in FA, who's not gonna ask for as big of a contract.

There's no question that Smith is improved. He has played MUCH better than I thought he would in Harbaugh's offense. That said, the only passing offenses that are worse than us are the Peyton Manningless Colts, the Tim Tebows, and the Sunshine led Jags. We only know Harbaugh wants much better than that.
why do you care how much they pay the players ?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because there's this little thing called a salary cap. Anymore stupid questions?

We'll see what Smith wants but I wouldn't go too high either.

Also, it really won't matter unless the 49ers are willing to spend their cap money.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the grass isn't always greener. i'll pass on flynn unless he's happy being a back up

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the LONG term plan is to keep searching/developing young QB's. sooner or later Harbaugh will find a better QB. we happen to be in a tough spot with no "QB in waiting", so re-sign Alex Smith to give Harbaugh a few more years.

for the SHORT term........doesn't make sense to search for another vet QB when Alex Smith is that guy. doesn't make sense to search for a "stop gap" QB when Alex Smith is that guy. just think of Alex Smith as a SOLID vet and a SOLID stop gap. i'm using SOLID in the context of this offense, with this team.

if you're thinking another vet for #2, rather Harbaugh use that spot to continue developing CK. the #3 spot needs to go to another young QB cause CK may not be the guy. we're placing way too much expectations on a 2nd round QB.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why Flynn over CK?

I'm not as confident in CK as some of you are. If we can get Matt Flynn for a decent price, it's worth it. I really like what I've seen from him and they have done a nice job of grooming QB's in Green Bay. I never said to let CK walk, but i think he's more of a project and has some work to do as far as his decision makings go. I hope I'm wrong, but that's my opinion.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not as confident in CK as some of you are. If we can get Matt Flynn for a decent price, it's worth it. I really like what I've seen from him and they have done a nice job of grooming QB's in Green Bay. I never said to let CK walk, but i think he's more of a project and has some work to do as far as his decision makings go. I hope I'm wrong, but that's my opinion.

I haven't seen much from Flynn to fill me with confidence but then again, I haven't seen him play much.
Matt Flynn Stats - Green Bay Packers - ESPN
Nothing special jumps out at me looking at his stats.
Which GB groomed QBs are you talking about?

We have seen so little of CK that it is hard for me to judge his decision making but I like what I read about him around draft time and I like that he is Harbaugh's pick.