• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the 49ers long-term plan at quarterback?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well at our spot in the draft Kaep and Mallet were about the only 2 left wotrh considering. Werent there rumors that Harbaugh wanted Dalton? Anyways lets just let Kaep sit back and learn as much as he can before he gets his shot. Dont want to rush him in so fast.

Will be intersesting what they do next year, im sure they will resign alex and have Kaep be the backup or let them battle it out in camp. But i wonder how harbaugh feels about Tolzien, and if he likes him as the 3rd QB or maybe better? Or if he wants to add a better QB to duel it out with Kaep and Smith? or whovever else.

There were, but I don't buy that the team was seriously interested in Dalton. The rumors intensified when the Niners traded up right after Dalton was picked. But that's becoming Baalke's MO. When a player at the position of the guy he likes is taken, he trades up to take the guy he wants. He did something like that with Anthony Davis last year, and with Kaepernick this year. I think Kaepernick was the guy he wanted all along, and presumably Harbaugh had a lot of say in that decision.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baalke can't let Smith walk, cause we're not going to find a better stop gap QB.

if Alex Smith was 'below average' this season, easy call. if he was 'average', not THAT easy but guessing we wouldn't resign him. Alex Smith has not only played 'above average', but been mostly consistent. if others want to use 'good' fine, not worth arguing over.

imagine we bring in another vet and he struggles next season? we might start the season 1-3 and you either stick with him or go with CK ready or not. the fan base would go ranting and 'fan base' includes the very ones here calling for a new QB.

we all know Alex doesn't have a high ceiling so not saying he's the 'future'. we're just in a tough spot now and timing just isn't good. be glad we do have a solid stop gap QB.

I am not sure how above average he is but we know he can be adequate under Harbaugh and that is good enough for me. I wouldn't want to start over with Flynn or Freeman either.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't agree with you that we would have to really start over with Flynn, (dude is watching and learning from one of the best in the league), but I would rather start over and take a fukn chance rather than watch Smith setup Akers for another year.

Gotta be willing to die in order to live sayheykid!!!

Watching someone good doesn't make someone good and I don't know what Rodgers has taught him. Look at Flynn's stats...3 TD, 4 INT, 68 QB Rating.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And trading away the farm for a Backup worked out awesome For Arizona....at least the Flynn would only be a possible free agent flop...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with you that we would have to really start over with Flynn, (dude is watching and learning from one of the best in the league), but I would rather start over and take a fukn chance rather than watch Smith setup Akers for another year.

Gotta be willing to die in order to live sayheykid!!!

what is smith suppose to do if harbaugh calls running plays, goes wild cat, etc.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
what is smith suppose to do if harbaugh calls running plays, goes wild cat, etc.

Take advantage of the opportunities he does have to throw the ball. Smith has been quite good this year - for Smith. He's suffered from some shaky OL play at times, and more than his share of dropped passes, especially on deep balls. But he continues to fail to see open guys and miss open guys when he throws to them (especially down the sidelines past 15 yards) too often for me to be perfectly content with him at QB.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every qb misses stuff, especially first year in a new system. the play calling seems better today, hopefully they're settling into what they want to do.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
every qb misses stuff, especially first year in a new system. the play calling seems better today, hopefully they're settling into what they want to do.

Yes. And Smith misses stuff more than most good-to-great NFL QBs. He has made up for it this year by minimizing mistakes, but if we're talking about a longterm contract, his struggles throwing deep along the sideline are a concern. As are his minor inaccuracies to guys crossing the middle, his repeated high throws to Crabtree, etc.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he hit those sideline throws a couple weeks ago and he hit them in the past. crabtree usually pops up anything that hits him in the numbers. when he extends his arms, he seems to snag the ball in at a higher rate. that's what it seems like to me.

smith hasn't been perfect but whenever the chips were down this year he's delivered. the playoffs is gonna be the big test to see how far our offense has come.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Akers had a 158.3 QB rating today....just sayin'

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
harbaugh is worse than the saints padding those records

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes. And Smith misses stuff more than most good-to-great NFL QBs. He has made up for it this year by minimizing mistakes, but if we're talking about a longterm contract, his struggles throwing deep along the sideline are a concern. As are his minor inaccuracies to guys crossing the middle, his repeated high throws to Crabtree, etc.

I know we can't wait much longer, but let's get him some receivers and see what he does.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Alex Smith looked comfortable most of the game, we'll see how he does in the play-offs? i'd expect he'd have a little bit of the jitters cause most would, so its a question of how much?

'comfortable' doesn't mean he threw everything accurately or with timing, but its still good to see. want to think being comfortable in this scheme will 'counteract' his 'safe' thinking? cause first time in the play-ffs, he might play it even safer?

glad we threw more passes downfield today, will make our opponent play it.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How 'bout a straight up trade of Alex Smith for Mark Sanchez?

I think AS will be a FA after this season, and there's not really a "sign and trade" option in the NFL, unless I've missed the boat completely.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I completely disagree - Throwing a five-yard out on a 3rd & 8 when you had six in the seam is a mistake and Smith missed plenty of those types of opportunities. So to say he minimized his mistakes is a misnomer - he minimized his turnovers - not his mistakes.