• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the 49ers long-term plan at quarterback?

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
3YahE.jpg
fvT7c.jpg

Not a big sample but Smith was better this year throwing passes down the field.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Very quickly I would think. Just look at how quickly and markedly Smith improved in just one season with Harbaugh and that was with no time for Harbaugh to work with him prior to the season.

To say he has been "bad" is not accurate in my opinion. He has been bad at times but has also performed very well in his first two seasons in some very big games. That tells me the potential is there and that he could benefit greatly from having someone like Harbaugh coach him in the same way that Smith has benefitted from that coaching. As for the INT to games ratio, until this season under harbaugh, Smith was averaging an INT per game as well.

He's played well against New England throughout his career, but that's about it. He's been bad with a few bright moments.

Smith made a marked turn last year after his little spat with Singletary. Starting the week after his near benching vs Philly he threw 8 TD and 1 INT in 5+ games (includes the Panther game).

Harbaugh deserves a lot of credit for Smith's performance this year, but it started before Harbaugh was here.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very quickly I would think. Just look at how quickly and markedly Smith improved in just one season with Harbaugh and that was with no time for Harbaugh to work with him prior to the season.

To say he has been "bad" is not accurate in my opinion. He has been bad at times but has also performed very well in his first two seasons in some very big games. That tells me the potential is there and that he could benefit greatly from having someone like Harbaugh coach him in the same way that Smith has benefitted from that coaching. As for the INT to games ratio, until this season under Harbaugh, Smith was averaging an INT per game as well.

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner, Johnny, tell 'em what he's won! Well Said!

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's played well against New England throughout his career, but that's about it. He's been bad with a few bright moments.

Smith made a marked turn last year after his little spat with Singletary. Starting the week after his near benching vs Philly he threw 8 TD and 1 INT in 5+ games (includes the Panther game).

Harbaugh deserves a lot of credit for Smith's performance this year, but it started before Harbaugh was here.[/
QUOTE]

That's true. Still, I think I'd take the risk on Sanchez if he was offered to me. It'd be so interesting to see how he could play under a decent offensive coach.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the jets have a lot better talent on offense. if dirty sanchez can't get it down with the jets he isn't getting it done here.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This year isn't a Harbaugh miracle.
Smith was solidly mediocre in 09 and 10 while surrounded by 2nd-rate or 3rd-rate OL/WR/HC/OC.

Improvement everywhere but WR this year.
and even our Pro Bowler on the OL has still given up 6 sacks.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year isn't a Harbaugh miracle.
Smith was solidly mediocre in 09 and 10 while surrounded by 2nd-rate or 3rd-rate OL/WR/HC/OC.

Improvement everywhere but WR this year.
and even our Pro Bowler on the OL has still given up 6 sacks.

The only miracle is Harbaugh knowing the position. Compared to Nolan and Singletary believing that they could embarrass Smith into performing like one of the best QBs in the NFL.

I fell into that trap about Harbaugh being the QB whisperer, and made a thread about it... thinking he did something crazy with Smith. Since then, I've just realized that his understanding of the position and how to play it in the NFL is what brought along Smith's "improvement".

Could Harbaugh do that for Sanchez? Sure, but I'd rather the 49ers get a QB who isn't limited to the "Don't screw it up" role on the offense. I really don't see any difference in Sanchez and Smith, they have talent and ability, just not the type you need to open up an offense and let the QB be the star.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We agree again. Imagine that. What was that about "great minds"?

Yeah, I mean this isn't science or anything - If Harbaugh & Roman can get out of Smith what we saw this year - Then it just stands to reason he could get a lot more out of Sanchez...IMO.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, I mean this isn't science or anything - If Harbaugh & Roman can get out of Smith what we saw this year - Then it just stands to reason he could get a lot more out of Sanchez...IMO.

Sure seems that way. Sanchez has more tools to work with than Smith does so if they have the same teacher, Sanchez should be better.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sure seems that way. Sanchez has more tools to work with than Smith does so if they have the same teacher, Sanchez should be better.

Exactly! Sanchez can hit windows Smith would not even attempt to throw it into. Tailor an offense to match Sanchez's strengths, which, as we know are superior to Smiths and the results will follow. No brainer...

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Exactly! Sanchez can hit windows Smith would not even attempt to throw it into. Tailor an offense to match Sanchez's strengths, which, as we know are superior to Smiths and the results will follow. No brainer...

Then why the hell doesn't he hit a window often enough to put up a yards per attempt at least as high as Tebow ?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That doesn't follow. Playing QB isn't all about physical talent, or Brady and Brees wouldn't be nearly as good as they are. And Sanchez's problems very possibly/likely go beyond things that Sanchez can improve upon markedly. He can fit a ball into tighter spaces than Smith at times, but that doesn't mean he will on a regular basis. And as Imac says, and Seksi has been belaboring for well over a year, Smith's improvement started well before Harbaugh arrived. He is undoubtedly better now than last year, but it's not like he underwent as dramatic a metamorphosis as people who don't follow the team might believe.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That doesn't follow. Playing QB isn't all about physical talent, or Brady and Brees wouldn't be nearly as good as they are. And Sanchez's problems very possibly/likely go beyond things that Sanchez can improve upon markedly. He can fit a ball into tighter spaces than Smith at times, but that doesn't mean he will on a regular basis. And as Imac says, and Seksi has been belaboring for well over a year, Smith's improvement started well before Harbaugh arrived. He is undoubtedly better now than last year, but it's not like he underwent as dramatic a metamorphosis as people who don't follow the team might believe.

I think as a general statement though it is probably true. That is why people make such a big deal out of exceptions like Brees and Brady.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We agree again. Imagine that. What was that about "great minds"?

It's that they think alike. I can only infer from that that if great minds think alike, so must old, feeble minds.

No one has made any real points as to why he could improve other than "Smith did with Harbaugh."

I'd much rather give Smith his second year with Harbaugh and again, stick with the known commodity, rather than gamble that the train wreck that Mark Sanchez has been can be fixed.

Mark Sanchez has been asked throughout his career to be Alex Smith. He hasn't done it despite playing with better talent.

Someone make a real case (not 2 sentences) that Sanchez would be better than Smith on our team (not in our offense, on our TEAM).

So far it's been "Harbaugh can work with him/he has a better arm than Smith."