• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the 49ers long-term plan at quarterback?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This year isn't a Harbaugh miracle.
Smith was solidly mediocre in 09 and 10 while surrounded by 2nd-rate or 3rd-rate OL/WR/HC/OC.

Improvement everywhere but WR this year.
and even our Pro Bowler on the OL has still given up 6 sacks.

I don't know if I would have called him mediocre last year or in '09 and I have to give Harbaugh a lot of credit after seeing Smith for 54 games without him.

I like how Alex has done this year, he has been pretty solid and I wouldn't mind signing him for two years but I don't think he all of a sudden just got it after all that time.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sounds like it's going to be Smith and CK for a while....

Manning makes no sense for 49ers with Smith, Kaepernick around

Manning makes sense. Smith has no contract and Kappy was the 6th QB takin in the draft.

You have to risk some team will buy into Smith on the FA market. We will give him a estimate of how much will are willing to buy in and he will explore his options.
You wait and get a look at Manning. I don't see any team willing to give Smith what we are. The starting job, good money, and a 2nd year of a project backup.

Jason Campbell and Kyle Orton are the starting level options in FA and Flynn is a gamble option.

9er4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed, but the opportunity to get a guy like that comes along once in a gneration. If healthy, can you imagine how good the Niner offense would be?

I'd rather add weapons(FA,draft) around Smith with the current state of the team.

9er4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manning makes sense. Smith has no contract and Kappy was the 6th QB takin in the draft.

You have to risk some team will buy into Smith on the FA market. We will give him a estimate of how much will are willing to buy in and he will explore his options.
You wait and get a look at Manning. I don't see any team willing to give Smith what we are. The starting job, good money, and a 2nd year of a project backup.

Jason Campbell and Kyle Orton are the starting level options in FA and Flynn is a gamble option.

I'd rather stay with what we have.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Smith had cut out the stupid mistakes by midseason last year. Sanchez hasn't done that yet, and that's probably the biggest problem I have with him. Sanchez's accuracy issues are also worse than Smith's. While Smith is inaccurate compared to other pro QBs, he's accurate compared to Sanchez, whose best season is below 57% in completion percentage.

While it's a tired refrain, I feel compelled to mention the constant turnover at OC for Smith, though. Smith never had anything resembling stability until this season. Sanchez has had stability, albeit with a defensive coach. He persists in making questionable - at best - decisions frequently.

Stability doesn't necessarily make for a better situation.

I don't want Sanchez on the 49ers but to be fair we should compare where he is after six seasons like we are doing for Smith.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd rather stay with what we have.

True. But those are backups if some team convinces Smith to walk while we wait for Manning.

Giving 36yo Manning a 5 year contract is a worthy risk if his neck nerve solution has worked it is not like the Pennington surgeries. Those diminished his arm.

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
True. But those are backups if some team convinces Smith to walk while we wait for Manning.

Giving 36yo Manning a 5 year contract is a worthy risk if his neck nerve solution has worked it is not like the Pennington surgeries. Those diminished his arm.

Also, how many systems has Payton played in anyway? Not questioning his skill at all... Just wondering...

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd rather add weapons(FA,draft) around Smith with the current state of the team.

A good receiver or two woud be nice but QB is by far the most important position and I would love to have Manning.........if healthy. Plus Manning would be great right away, we wouldn't have to wait for the draftees to get experience.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't want Sanchez on the 49ers but to be fair we should compare where he is after six seasons like we are doing for Smith.

smith went through 2 coordinators and some random nobody calling plays for him by his 3rd year. ended up with no pass protection his 3rd year and needed surgery.

sanchez's situation has been like heaven. the primary reason why the jets aren't in the playoffs is because of sanchez

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Crimson, this is neither a statistical based discussion nor one that can be understood with statistics - my 80/60 comment is a metaphor...

Mark Sanchez is a better "QB" than Alex Smith; however, Alex Smith is a better "Game Manager" than Mark Sanchez.

No he's not. If Sanchez is a better QB than Smith, so are Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is another reason I like Sanchez, he didn't fold under the pressure of the playoffs and put up some damn decent #'s for a rookie and 2nd year QB.

He folded up two days ago when the Jets needed a win and he threw 3 interceptions, two of them to a DL on check downs. He has regressed since his mediocre-at-best rookie year.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No he's not. If Sanchez is a better QB than Smith, so are Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf.

Yes he is - hands down!

As for Russell & Leaf who the fuck cares about them they are out of the league last time I checked - Lets see where this argument lands in three years when Sanchez has been in the league as long as Smith.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes he is - hands down!

As for Russell & Leaf who the fuck cares about them they are out of the league last time I checked - Lets see where this argument lands in three years when Sanchez has been in the league as long as Smith.

Well, since Sanchez is getting worse every season. . . .

But isn't is worth noting that Russell and Leaf are out of the league when they're better than our starting QB?

I don't understand why you think Sanchez is good.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes he is - hands down!

Sanchez is 25 and had 1 less year in the NFL but same game XP as Smith did in 2009.

25 year old 2009 Smith took over for Hill who was being sacked 10% of the time and his passing was trending down down down to his 45 at the Half in HOU.

Smith's WR1 was Crabtree who signed 2 weeks before.

His QB rating was better than Sanchez this year.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, since Sanchez is getting worse every season. . . .

But isn't is worth noting that Russell and Leaf are out of the league when they're better than our starting QB?

I don't understand why you think Sanchez is good.

Here, let me be less specific.

Mark Sanchez is better than Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf.

Do you agree, No; do I care, No

We have already had the conversation about why he is better. You, and Crimsoncrew continue to believe that you can look at a stat sheet and determine a players talent - you can't. You have to watch them play.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here, let me be less specific.

Mark Sanchez is better than Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf.

Do you agree, No; do I care, No

We have already had the conversation about why he is better. You, and Crimsoncrew continue to believe that you can look at a stat sheet and determine a players talent - you can't. You have to watch them play.

You're right. You have to watch them play. You should try watching Sanchez play. You'll be amazed when you realize he sucks.

But hey, he can throw farther than Smith. So he's a better QB.

Uh huh. Sure.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I disagree. The question isn't what Sanchez would do in his seventh year, it's what he would do next year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes he is - hands down!

As I said above, that's a moot point. We're not debating their respective careers. We're discussing who the better option is for next year.