• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the 49ers long-term plan at quarterback?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
MW, are you capable of answering a direct question?

I am -

For love of god, Crimson, you said you "strongly disagreed" with my statement and then you asked what my statement meant.

How in the world can you "strongly disagree" with something you know nothing about?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am -

For love of god, Crimson, you said you "strongly disagreed" with my statement and then you asked what my statement meant.

How in the world can you "strongly disagree" with something you know nothing about?

Fair enough. I imbued your vague terms with my own meaning and responded in kind. I should have asked you to clarify before disagreeing.

So back to the initial question: how are you defining "quarterback" and "game manager?" Stop dancing around the issue. Address the question and defend your position that Sanchez is a QB while Smith is a game manager, and why the former is preferable to the latter for this team and in the context of the two QBs being discussed.

Sorry, the two "players" being discussed. Forgot that Smith isn't a QB. Silly me.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple things,

First, any discussion alluding to signing Sanchez is purely hypothetical; however, and just as a comparative statement, Sanchez has a better winning percentage than Smith as well as much higher propensity for comebacks and game winning drives than Smith. Thus, it would stand to reason that if those are the qualities you want in a QB, then Sanchez would be your guy over Smith, if he were available - just sayin.

As for Clausen, he reminds me a little too much of Alex, and we already have an Alex, so no thanks there, and I don't know enough about Josh Johnson to comment.

clausen has a quick compact release and he came from a pro style offense under weis. he was more polished but he needed another year at notre dame to mature as a qb and a person.

sanchez is a below avg starting qb who has played better than i expected but he blew it for a playoff team this year. even with all the injuries, poor blocking, new system, conservative play calling smith has got it done. smith pre eagles game last year was better than sanchez now. sanchez hasn't had his coordinator fired midseason for not knowing how to call plays.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I imbued your vague terms with my own meaning and responded in kind. I should have asked you to clarify before disagreeing.

So back to the initial question: how are you defining "quarterback" and "game manager?" Stop dancing around the issue. Address the question and defend your position that Sanchez is a QB while Smith is a game manager, and why the former is preferable to the latter for this team and in the context of the two QBs being discussed.

Sorry, the two "players" being discussed. Forgot that Smith isn't a QB. Silly me.

i think he meant sanchez is a better armchair qb. maybe sanchez can take some notes in a couple weeks

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could not care less about either Sanchez's or Smith's numbers..

You had me at "not".

Ha ha, not a fan of the classic, "I could care less", huh?

I hate it!

This has been a weird week. First I get that person asking me if I wanted to play Green Bay or New England in the playoffs. And then I got someone thinking it was clever to say "I couldn't agree more" meaning he couldn't agree because it would be wrong to agree more or something... meaning he disagreed with something someone said. I'm not as old as you, NN, but these days people are getting more whack, aren't they? Or is it out of whack? Doesn't that mean the same thing?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am -

Ha ha. Is it wrong that I find your duels to be entertaining because if it weren't for us knowing you two have a history of getting on each other's case, you two would sound very deliberately combative? I try to imagine that each one of your discussions are isolated arguments, and sometimes as if each response were the first response and it sounds funny. It's like you two are brothers or something. Or like you are Harbaugh answering a question from the media that he knows is designed to elicit a specific response that no coach wants to give. I don't think I'm explaining myself well, but I think you guys are great in comebacks. Some people just sound clueless in their comebacks, you know? (In case it wasn't clear, I'm saying you two aren't clueless.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ha ha. Is it wrong that I find your duels to be entertaining because if it weren't for us knowing you two have a history of getting on each other's case, you two would sound very deliberately combative? I try to imagine that each one of your discussions are isolated arguments, and sometimes as if each response were the first response and it sounds funny. It's like you two are brothers or something. Or like you are Harbaugh answering a question from the media that he knows is designed to elicit a specific response that no coach wants to give. I don't think I'm explaining myself well, but I think you guys are great in comebacks. Some people just sound clueless in their comebacks, you know? (In case it wasn't clear, I'm saying you two aren't clueless.)

Agreed. Those guys are two of my favorite posters. I almost expect them though to be on opposite sides of every issue.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
clausen has a quick compact release and he came from a pro style offense under weis. he was more polished but he needed another year at notre dame to mature as a qb and a person.

sanchez is a below avg starting qb who has played better than i expected but he blew it for a playoff team this year. even with all the injuries, poor blocking, new system, conservative play calling smith has got it done. smith pre eagles game last year was better than sanchez now. sanchez hasn't had his coordinator fired midseason for not knowing how to call plays.

So you say you want a QB that can win games and lead comebacks and you have offered up Smith, Clausen and Josh Johnson as examples of QB's who fit this criteria

Well, I certainly wouldn't offer up Clausen and Johnson as shinning examples of that level of performance but if you think they fit the bill - fine with me. As for Smith, even with a 13 win season he still has a losing record and is less likely than Sanchez to lead a comeback.

That said, Smith did have a better year than Sanchez statistically. Does that mean Smith is a better QB than Sanchez? Absolutely not. However, I believe to some the answer is yes. I guess you just have to be smart enough to know when to stop arguing with them; or, if your bored, perhaps you just have fun with them.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think he meant sanchez is a better armchair qb. maybe sanchez can take some notes in a couple weeks

Actually, I think Mark Sanchez and Kenny Powers are hosting a, "How to rise from the motherfuckin ashes and play power QB like Alex Smith and lead your motherfuckin team to the motherfuckin playoffs" note taking party at Sanchez' house.

Everyone is going to be there.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I think Mark Sanchez and Kenny Powers are hosting a, "How to rise from the motherfuckin ashes and play power QB like Alex Smith and lead your motherfuckin team to the motherfuckin playoffs" note taking party at Sanchez' house.

Everyone is going to be there.

You had me at kenny powers

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you say you want a QB that can win games and lead comebacks and you have offered up Smith, Clausen and Josh Johnson as examples of QB's who fit this criteria

Well, I certainly wouldn't offer up Clausen and Johnson as shinning examples of that level of performance but if you think they fit the bill - fine with me. As for Smith, even with a 13 win season he still has a losing record and is less likely than Sanchez to lead a comeback.

That said, Smith did have a better year than Sanchez statistically. Does that mean Smith is a better QB than Sanchez? Absolutely not. However, I believe to some the answer is yes. I guess you just have to be smart enough to know when to stop arguing with them; or, if your bored, perhaps you just have fun with them.

sanchez is horrible. he had some early playoff success with a strong defense leading the way. smith put together some nice games even in his second year against seattle that sanchez can't do. how would sanchez do with bad pass protection and losing his top 2 wr's? heck, he can't do anything with quality starters now.

clausen and johnson are 3rd stringers/back ups to develop. sanchez isn't worth developing, never has been. i viewed him as a slightly better verson of lienert and he's done nothing to change my mind. i'd be surprised if he ever hits a 90 passer rating in his career.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

No thoughts on that, MW? If it's so obvious, it should only take a few seconds to frame a response.

9er4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll give them Smith and Kaepernick for Manning.

But even Manning wouldn't be long term, if he ever plays again. We'd be stuck with the same QB situation in a couple years, unless you think the possiblility of Manning bringing a SB to SF being worth the risk and another 10 years trying to find another QB. I'd actually take keeping Smith hoping that Harbaugh and Baalke bring in more talent around him than bringing in an old, injured QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. He'd have to pass a physical first. I have a feeling he'll be ready to go next year though. He's probably got the best doctors in the world working on him.

Still though, neck problems are nothing to mess with and at that age its a little risky.