• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the 49ers long-term plan at quarterback?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just want to be clear on what you and Imac mean on "all things being equal".

It sounds like you define "all things being equal" as - same teammates, same coaches, same time to prepare, same relative opponents, etc. (where the players are the variables).

It sounds like Imac defines "all things being equal as - same mental makeup (where physical skill(s) is/are the variable(s)).

If I'm going on Imac's definition, I'd agree with him that you can't take Sanchez because of his physical skills assuming the mental makeup is the same, when it's not. You'd have to see how that mental makeup effects the use of his physical skills, in which it isn't as open and shut as it sounds.

If I'm going on what I think you are saying, then you are saying Smith in a vaccuum is less than Sanchez, in which it would make sense to choose Sanchez if he indeed has better physical skills. Then if all things were equal, same system, teammates, coaches, etc. Sanchez would be the choice.

I think everyone knows where I lean in this argument. I went to and root for USC all the way, but my home state was Utah for the years Smith was there. I was a 49er fan growing up so with Smith being here the last seven years and at Utah, I'm partial to him. I think we'll see an improvement next year, too. Where he stands at the end of next year is where I will comment on his limitations and abilities, mentally and physically.

Yeah, when I say "all things being equal" I mean that the players are the same in terms of mental make-up, work ethic, intelligence, etc. Effectively, the intangibles are the same, but the tangibles/physical abilities differ. In that case, obviously you want a guy with the physical ability. But that's not the case here. Smith has demonstrated, with and without Harbaugh, better decision-making and accuracy than Sanchez has ever shown.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crimson, this is neither a statistical based discussion nor one that can be understood with statistics - my 80/60 comment is a metaphor...

Mark Sanchez is a better "QB" than Alex Smith; however, Alex Smith is a better "Game Manager" than Mark Sanchez.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't agree with that. He showed no ill effects from the injury last season. Even in 2009 he was apparently fine health-wise.

losing a season and a half while developing as a starter is time no qb can get back. not to mention i think his velocity is down a bit since the injury. he never had a big arm before, but he seemed to throw better spirals before the surgery.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crimson, this is neither a statistical based discussion nor one that can be understood with statistics - my 80/60 comment is a metaphor...

Mark Sanchez is a better "QB" than Alex Smith; however, Alex Smith is a better "Game Manager" than Mark Sanchez.

o come on, sanchez's numbers are dogshit.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Today? I strongly disagree with that. How exactly are you defining "QB?"

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
losing a season and a half while developing as a starter is time no qb can get back. not to mention i think his velocity is down a bit since the injury. he never had a big arm before, but he seemed to throw better spirals before the surgery.

That probably is true. But at this point he isn't likely to get the velocity back, so it's a moot point. He has the arm strength that he has, and we need to work around it.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crimson, do you seriously not know the difference between a QB and a Game Manager - Seriously?!?

i want a qb that can win games and lead comebacks. sanchez can't do either.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, who would be your QB of choice then?

right now resign smith and keep looking. i'd inquire about clausen but i wouldn't give up much, maybe a 4th. maybe sign a free agent otherwise like josh johnson or another young qb.

with a full offseason the entire offense including smith will improve. we finally look to have the same coordinator for the first time in a long time, changing qb's would set us back unless we get a pro bowler like brees or a healthy manning.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
right now resign smith and keep looking. i'd inquire about clausen but i wouldn't give up much, maybe a 4th. maybe sign a free agent otherwise like josh johnson or another young qb.

with a full offseason the entire offense including smith will improve. we finally look to have the same coordinator for the first time in a long time, changing qb's would set us back unless we get a pro bowler like brees or a healthy manning.

Couple things,

First, any discussion alluding to signing Sanchez is purely hypothetical; however, and just as a comparative statement, Sanchez has a better winning percentage than Smith as well as much higher propensity for comebacks and game winning drives than Smith. Thus, it would stand to reason that if those are the qualities you want in a QB, then Sanchez would be your guy over Smith, if he were available - just sayin.

As for Clausen, he reminds me a little too much of Alex, and we already have an Alex, so no thanks there, and I don't know enough about Josh Johnson to comment.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Crimson, do you seriously not know the difference between a QB and a Game Manager - Seriously?!?

MW, are you capable of answering a direct question?

Though since you ask (and modeling actually addressing a direct question), a QB is defined as an offensive back in football who usually lines up behind the center, calls the signals, and directs the offensive play of the team. That's a pretty broad definition, and one that Alex Smith certainly meets. Any other definition is subjective and meaningless without some form of qualification. "Game manager" is even more subjective. What is it about Sanchez that makes him a QB while Smith is a game manager? A stronger arm?

Last edited by a moderator:

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But he has done it and in some very big games including playoff games.

That is another reason I like Sanchez, he didn't fold under the pressure of the playoffs and put up some damn decent #'s for a rookie and 2nd year QB.