• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wentz receives four-year extension

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beat the rams in only 3 quarters. They couldn't even stop his touchdown drive AFTER he tore his ACL.
:dhd:

Foles had to come back and win the game, so don't let facts get in the way

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gurley was as useful in your super bowl as Wentz was in ours. But we won and you lost.

Wentz doesn't even know what the playoffs off are, he has been too busy losing big game recently

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they just don't teach Math in Philly? Being over and being over by $40M aren't the same thing dopey...
Don't forget to mention how fucked we are in 2030.

:lol:

Told ya you couldn't refute any of it.

Told ya you'd run to your safe space of make believe futuristic doom.

Nailed it.:suds:

Dusty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, a good idea, and the Eagles look pretty well set this year, unless Wentz gets hurt again, then what do they do?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expected at least 20 pages in the first 12 hours.
Disappointing.....

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, a good idea, and the Eagles look pretty well set this year, unless Wentz gets hurt again, then what do they do?
Doug Pederson is a QB master and the Oline can really block a fucker. We'd still contend.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t they rescind the 5th year?
Also, I thought your rookie deal can be redone after 3 years?

If I am not mistaken they are eligible for an extension but the rookie deal remains in place.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget to mention how fucked we are in 2030.

:lol:

Told ya you couldn't refute any of it.

Told ya you'd run to your safe space of make believe futuristic doom.

Nailed it.:suds:
Are you currently high on crack? What are you talking about?

Want me to clear another $10M in cap space for the Eagles in about 2 minutes by moving money into outer years like Howie is doing? Look at the current year base salaries vs outer years base salaries for your players. It's horrible cap management and it is not hard to do. But, being easy to do doesn't mean it isn't stupid. It WILL come due.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles had to come back and win the game, so don't let facts get in the way
Nope.

:nono:

Try some real facts.

Wentz left with a 31-28 lead after throwing his 4th touchdown of the day.

Facts.

:nod:

I was right.
You were wrong.
AGAIN.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Want me to clear another $10M in cap space for the Eagles in about 2 minutes by moving money into outer years like Howie is doing? Look at the current year base salaries vs outer years base salaries for your players. It's horrible cap management and it is not hard to do. But, being easy to do doesn't mean it isn't stupid. It WILL come due.
"Doom! doom!" jarnnt says "It must be doom!!"

:laugh3:

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "What has Wentz done to deserve an extension" argument is just flat stupid. You do not lock up QB's after their rookie deals based on what they have done. You lock them up based on their potential and what you think they are capable of. Most young QB's get big deals without doing anything to really earn it. Their rookie deals are auditions so to speak. You are trying to find out if you can build a team around them. Most top QB's will play 12 to 15 years in the NFL.

Right now teams are racing to sign their young QB's because this recent crop has a lot of good QB's unlike other generations. So the deals are going to get only higher. So the smart front offices are going to get their guy as fast as they can.

Jimmy Garropolo - What has he done to deserve his deal? I mean that is the argument that some are using for Wentz. But he pretty much set the tone for QB's getting contracts without doing anything to earn it.

Patrick Mahomes - People are still salivating over him and there is talk that he is going to break all QB contract records. This is after one season as a starter.

Jared Goff - Won a couple playoff games but he did not play well in the playoffs and his performance in the SB was one of worst I have ever seen.

Dak Prescott - He has a playoff record of 1-2 but hey he at least has one win let's give him a billion dollar contract.

Deshaun Watson - He has not won a playoff game either.

There are a lot of upcoming contracts coming up for new players and veterans looking to get new deals as well.

My concern with Wentz is his injuries. He needs to show me that he can be stay healthy and if he can he will be worth every penny. Unless some of you want to sit here and say that he does not have the talent? He played 11 games last year and I felt he came back too soon. I believe that if they let him sit longer he may have lasted until the end of the season. Just one mans opinion though. However in that stint he was the 7th rated QB in the NFL putting up pretty good numbers. As far as talent goes he is one of the top QB's in the NFL. As good as any of the other QB's minus the Hall of Famers still playing. While I would love to have a QB on the Eagles that has a hall of fame resume I am not going to make that the standard for which I measure any QB.

Last edited:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug Pederson is a QB master and the Oline can really block a fucker. We'd still contend.
Dude you would be royally fucked and you know it. Nate Sudfeld sucks and Thorson is extremely raw.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When was the last time the Eagles did not lock up or resign a top player because of salary cap issues? I honestly can't remember a time this has happened. Some of you keep bringing up the Eagles cap talking about how they are going to struggle to get or resign players yet they never do.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude you would be royally fucked and you know it. Nate Sudfeld sucks and Thorson is extremely raw.

Says every team in the NFL if their starter goes down. If Baker Mayfield goes down the Browns turn to Drew Stanton.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says every team in the NFL if their starter goes down. If Baker Mayfield goes down the Browns turn to Drew Stanton.
Clearly you've forgotten about AAF MVP-frontrunner Garrett Gilbert.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time the Eagles did not lock up or resign a top player because of salary cap issues? I honestly can't remember a time this has happened. Some of you keep bringing up the Eagles cap talking about how they are going to struggle to get or resign players yet they never do.
You guys are the ones talking about prior years. I never brought this up until this year and I'm not sure any other non-Eagle fans did either. I'm not sure how prior years are pertinent since the topic is a new one. Most teams go through this exercise most years. But to pretend it's the same as prior years for Philly is not true. The magnitude of the cap issue is what is important. The magnitude of what they have shifted into outer years is what is the topic. What they did with their contracts this year to bring in FAs and resign their own was incredibly unbalanced. I posted it a few times using Jackson, Jackson and Graham as examples but it can be expanded to show players that were restructured like Ertz and others.

That unbalance will hurt down the road. As you know the cap hit you avoid in the current year does not disappear and it takes up a portion of future cap appropriations. It is only a matter of time before Philly will have to cut guys, not be able to resign guys, not be able to sign FAs or all of the above. The only question is when and how bad it will be. The longer they put it off the bigger the ultimate problem will be. But putting it off doesn't mean it isn't happening or that it won't be an issue. That's just burying your head in the sand.