• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Well, the Michigan/Harbaugh hype is starting to pick up...

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The secret most UofM fans don't want to admit is UofM always had talent. As goofy as Brady Hoke was he could recruit. Those good classes just didn't get any coaching worth a damn. People want to think Harbaugh took over a good DII school and is competing against BCS talent.

Harbaugh has done a great job getting the talent at Michigan to play at the level they were recruited at. MSU has done more with less than any school in the country and thats why they are riding a 3 year success streak. Michigan had done less with more than any team in the country...minus Texas... and thats why they struggled.

I think Harbuagh is a great coach but this isn't a huge turn around. It's the UofM staff getting the players to play at their potential.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The secret most UofM fans don't want to admit is UofM always had talent. As goofy as Brady Hoke was he could recruit. Those good classes just didn't get any coaching worth a damn. People want to think Harbaugh took over a good DII school and is competing against BCS talent.

Harbaugh has done a great job getting the talent at Michigan to play at the level they were recruited at. MSU has done more with less than any school in the country and thats why they are riding a 3 year success streak. Michigan had done less with more than any team in the country...minus Texas... and thats why they struggled.

I think Harbuagh is a great coach but this isn't a huge turn around. It's the UofM staff getting the players to play at their potential.

This what I have been saying (and one of the reasons I was Hoke supporter until midway into the 2014 season).

Which if one looks at what Harbaugh did at Stanford with the talent he had there, why doesn't anyone think he won't do better with the talent at Michigan?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO going for 2 was the right call, but the play call was terrible. It was Borges Borgesing
I agree with going for 2, that was the only thing not questionable. First off, this team has scouted you, saw what formation you came out in and called time out. One with a brain can assume, Meyer had an idea what play or at least an idea of what they were trying to do. So he calls time out to regroup. As the team going for 2, the intelligent thing is to at least change the play call, but no. Same exact play as can be seen by the motion from the wide receiver not even changing the formation. If that was what Michigan was going to do they may as well have kicked it. I'm not a college coach, but any idiot can tell you that's stupid.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with going for 2, that was the only thing not questionable. First off, this team has scouted you, saw what formation you came out in and called time out. One with a brain can assume, Meyer had an idea what play or at least an idea of what they were trying to do. So he calls time out to regroup. As the team going for 2, the intelligent thing is to at least change the play call, but no. Same exact play as can be seen by the motion from the wide receiver not even changing the formation. If that was what Michigan was going to do they may as well have kicked it. I'm not a college coach, but any idiot can tell you that's stupid.

Like I said, it was Borges Borgesing. He almost never did anything that opponent did see coming a mile away.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU fan here. I've probably witnessed this for longer than you haha.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you shouldn't.

What made Woody great was Bo, and vice versa. That's what makes this rivalry the best of CFB (if not of all sports), the fact that is among the strongest programs in the history of CFB.

Nothing better than dashing the rivals hopes for a national title, then claiming it for yourself.

Wrong. Woody made Bo great. 3 national championships made Woody great.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, last time The Game was in Ann Arbor, and everyone was talking how bad Ohio State was going to crush Michigan it came down to a missed 2-point conversion.

One of the things Hoke did well was play Ohio State tight, and gave Meyer all he could handle. Do Buckeyes think it will be any easier now the Harbaugh is the coach?

Well maybe if Michigan decides to actually be good Ohio State will stop looking past them like they did when Hoke was there.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
osu has a bs schedule, you know it.. Just won't admit it
As was pointed out, tOSU scheduled VT when they were up not on the down slide like MI did.
So is that why Bo got the better of Woody over the course of the Ten Year War? :noidea:
Bo sure got the better but never got a NC. I will take 3 of those to the ole "we beat you more when you were not as good but never wont he big one". Moral victories.

Like 11-2 Sugar Bowl Champs good? :noidea:
Took a coaching screwing up and sanctions to tOSU for that to happen.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo sure got the better but never got a NC. I will take 3 of those to the ole "we beat you more when you were not as good but never wont he big one". Moral victories.

What does that have to do with 5-4-1 record of the Ten Year War (which even in that 1 tie, Michigan was clearly the better team)? :noidea:

What does that have to do with the other 10 wins? :noidea:

UM Fire

The man, the myth, the legend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know Michigan has Virginia Tech schedule in a few years, right? Set up the series in 2013, after Va Tech went 8-5. Just like your OOC game against Utah this year which was set up in 2012. They went 5-7.

Ohio State scheduled Va Tech in 2010. They were 11-3.

Michigan attempts to schedules patsies. Ohio State tries to schedule big time teams.

Michigan scheduled Utah before the 2012 season. The last data we had at the time was their first year in the PAC, an 8-5 season. They were one year removed from 10-3. Michigan scheduled VT before the 8-5 season. It was a down year for Tech, 7-6, but it was again one year removed from 11-3 and our meeting in the Sugar Bowl.

Personally, I don't think there's anything to trying to schedule a good team on a down stretch. Most of the time, the games are scheduled a few years out, and you never know what kind of changes will take place. When your boys scheduled USC in the home and home, you had no idea the 2nd USC team was going to be a shell of the team you played the year before. The truth is, you either try to schedule quality teams or you don't. As long as your program is trying, that's all I care about.

UM Fire

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well maybe if Michigan decides to actually be good Ohio State will stop looking past them like they did when Hoke was there.

I know we're mostly just taking pot shots at one another here, but I want to ask you a serious question... keeping this in mind:

Year 1 - 40-34/ UM Michigan ranked, Ohio st not
Year 2 - 21-26 OSU/ OSU could not play in a bowl game, this was it
Year 3 - 41-42 OSU/ OSU #1 needing to win to keep the national title dream alive
Year 4 - 28-42 OSU/ Similar situation, but more outside looking in at the time

Do you really think your boys were looking past their most hated rival?

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we're mostly just taking pot shots at one another here, but I want to ask you a serious question... keeping this in mind:

Year 1 - 40-34/ UM Michigan ranked, Ohio st not
Year 2 - 21-26 OSU/ OSU could not play in a bowl game, this was it
Year 3 - 41-42 OSU/ OSU #1 needing to win to keep the national title dream alive
Year 4 - 28-42 OSU/ Similar situation, but more outside looking in at the time

Do you really think your boys were looking past their most hated rival?
I really believe the Buckeyes tend to play to the level of their competition.

UM Fire

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really believe the Buckeyes tend to play to the level of their competition.

That's fair. They seemed to have played up and down to their competition over the years. For me, it's hard to differentiate between playing down (or up) to your competition and having a bad (or good) day.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, it's not automatically a good sign when a coach has a really successful first year.

Will Muschamp went 10-2 his first year at Florida, and that was the peak.

Gus Malzhan took Auburn to the championship game his 1st year, and they lost 5 games last year, might lose even more this year.

Kevin Sumlin had Johnny Manziel winning a heisman his first year. They've been in decline every year since. This year they are getting some hype and may have turned it around, but this is like his 4th year so it's taken awhile.

Helfrich with Oregon bucked the trend for 1 year. They went 11-2 his first year, and then 12-2 last year with the playoffs. But then they've nosedived hardcore this year.

Urban Meyer is the only one off the top of my head that had immediate success that has been able to maintain it.

UM Fire

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll give you the lying/coaching change but the sanctions really didn't affect that game. Any suspended players were able to play and the scholarship restrictions, small as they were, didn't kick in until later.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, it's not automatically a good sign when a coach has a really successful first year.

Will Muschamp went 10-2 his first year at Florida, and that was the peak.

Gus Malzhan took Auburn to the championship game his 1st year, and they lost 5 games last year, might lose even more this year.

Kevin Sumlin had Johnny Manziel winning a heisman his first year. They've been in decline every year since. This year they are getting some hype and may have turned it around, but this is like his 4th year so it's taken awhile.

Helfrich with Oregon bucked the trend for 1 year. They went 11-2 his first year, and then 12-2 last year with the playoffs. But then they've nosedived hardcore this year.

Urban Meyer is the only one off the top of my head that had immediate success that has been able to maintain it.
You forgot my favorite - Brady Hoke went 11-2 and won the Sugar Bowl the year the Buckeyes went 6-7 (2011)

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give you the lying/coaching change but the sanctions really didn't affect that game. Any suspended players were able to play and the scholarship restrictions, small as they were, didn't kick in until later.
Any suspended players except for the quarterback . . .