• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week Seven Geno Atkins/Carlos Dunlap NonParticipation Trophy

Which Bengal will embarrass the ghosts of his ancestors against the Browns?

• Bobby Hart

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Geno Atkins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carlos Dunlap

• Vonn Bell

• Darius Phillips

• Other: Specify in comments

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read from the reporters covering the team, it sounds like most of the players are on the coaches side of this one.... I'm with you - I can't really understand it.

FWIW - Dunlap has been a great player in Cincinnati. Mostly healthy his entire career. Very productive. A team leader. Big contributor to the community. I'm not sure if this is just a player acting out of character because he's reached the end of his career or if the coaches are causing some trouble.
I saw that report too. It blows my mind that these players think they are being well coached

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let Dunlap go in the off-season. Let AN walk. Let Ross obviously go. Cut Hart for shit sake. Fred Johnson is a natural LT but sucks on the right side. Move Jonah to RT. Load up on defense, and some offensive line. I think we should still consider Ja'Marr Chase from LSU to pair with Boyd, Higgins, Tate. Sign Njoku to pair with Sample and CJ.

Fire Anarumo, hire Mike Zimmer for DC.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lou Anarumo should be fired immediately. This is the worst schemed defense in the NFL. They do nothing well. And they don’t try to change any of it. Soft zone, 4 man rush, 10 yard cushion on everyone...

I understand Geno has been banged up, and WJ was out, but there’s still other talent there. They shouldn’t be this pathetic.

Also I’d just go ahead and release Carlos Dunlap at this point. He’s becoming a head case. This staff has enough problems. They don’t need a veteran leader bitching to the press and posting passive aggressive shit on Twitter. And it’s not like he was any good when he was playing. Bottom 5 graded edge rusher when he was starting.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny how much more efficient our offense is when we drop the pretense that we might be able to run the ball. The force-feeding Joe Mixon has led to a lot of stalled drives this year. None of that going on today. Then again, the Browns D isn't very good.

I realize that no matter who coaches this D, there is only so much improvements that can be made. They are playing at least 4 or 5 guys (at least) that are clear back-up or practice squad material....But, you have to do something schematically. I mean, you can't keep lining up with 4 guys rushing while quarterbacks pick apart your secondary.
I'll disagree with this.

Why - because of HOW the play calling has gone for the run. Through the first 4+ games, the Bengals led the NFL in passing attempts on 1st down. Led the NFL in yards to go on second down. Led the NFL in rushing attempts on 2nd down. Led the NFL in yards to go on 3rd down.

The pattern was repeated and keeps getting repeated. The key to any good offense is to not only have balance, but to mix it up with formations, patterns, etc. It also helps when you run plays that are to the strength of the runner, for Mixon that is the off-tackle option where he can either cut it back inside or bounce outside. Yet how many runs have we seen, especially in short yardage, from a shotgun go right up the gut - a weakness already on our OL. Instead of creating plays that create space for Mixon, they call plays that take space away and pound him into the weakness of the offense - the OL.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lou Anarumo should be fired immediately. This is the worst schemed defense in the NFL. They do nothing well. And they don’t try to change any of it. Soft zone, 4 man rush, 10 yard cushion on everyone...

I understand Geno has been banged up, and WJ was out, but there’s still other talent there. They shouldn’t be this pathetic.

Also I’d just go ahead and release Carlos Dunlap at this point. He’s becoming a head case. This staff has enough problems. They don’t need a veteran leader bitching to the press and posting passive aggressive shit on Twitter. And it’s not like he was any good when he was playing. Bottom 5 graded edge rusher when he was starting.
If your a DC and don't see that Phillips cannot handle 1-1man defense - then I don't know what to tell you. He's a ball-hawk guy, but can't cover 1-1. He's a zone system CB (nothing wrong with that, lots of guys end up like this). But, it was clear as day they were going to pick on Phillips and yet no safety help over the top. If you are going to play man with this bunch of DB's - you better be in a cover 2 or cover 3 man to have help over the top. That's pretty much defense 101. Lou probably missed that day.

The sad thing is - they are all going to point to the injuries as to why this defense is struggling and not fix the main issue: coaching. As the sands keep slipping by in the hour glass, nothing changes. Like sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives (as bengal fans).

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notable

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also notable

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know views of PFF are mixed.... For good reason. But, they do provide a metric for discussion. To me it's interesting that Hart played one of his best games. No surprise about Boyd - He brings it every game.

For defense - Of the three guys that did their job, two of them are rookies.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll disagree with this.

Why - because of HOW the play calling has gone for the run. Through the first 4+ games, the Bengals led the NFL in passing attempts on 1st down. Led the NFL in yards to go on second down. Led the NFL in rushing attempts on 2nd down. Led the NFL in yards to go on 3rd down.

The pattern was repeated and keeps getting repeated. The key to any good offense is to not only have balance, but to mix it up with formations, patterns, etc. It also helps when you run plays that are to the strength of the runner, for Mixon that is the off-tackle option where he can either cut it back inside or bounce outside. Yet how many runs have we seen, especially in short yardage, from a shotgun go right up the gut - a weakness already on our OL. Instead of creating plays that create space for Mixon, they call plays that take space away and pound him into the weakness of the offense - the OL.

I think I agree with you. I don't think it's a Mixon problem. That guy plays hard. He's super athletic, has great hands, can break tackles, etc. But when he's in the offense, it seems like we follow the same stupid pattern you mention.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God bless Geoff Hobson.... Even in loss, he continues to write about how we are "winning."

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1349842626_Charlie-Sheen-Winning-Duh.jpg

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God bless Geoff Hobson.... Even in loss, he continues to write about how we are "winning."

Man like 15 years ago I wrote a blog post that mentioned Geoff Hobson putting lipstick on the Bengals' pig. It probably got like 6 views, but one of them was...Geoff Hobson, who emailed me about how unfair it was that anyone could think he wouldn't be impartial about the Bengals.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man like 15 years ago I wrote a blog post that mentioned Geoff Hobson putting lipstick on the Bengals' pig. It probably got like 6 views, but one of them was...Geoff Hobson, who emailed me about how unfair it was that anyone could think he wouldn't be impartial about the Bengals.
I hope you met up with him at the Dayton Mall.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best 2 players on the team pre Burrow. ship them out you dumb basturds