• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 7: Redskins @ Lions

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WFxMOkK.png

8VdJ6zi.png

m6MDX0E.png

JYAEeyx.png

WfvFfny.png

AAy8h5f.png

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Brunet and Jerry Smith. Love these pictures you put up, it is amazing to me that I still recognize these guys all these years later but can't remember the guy in the bar who was like "Hey man, how are you?" I was who the hell is he? :noidea:

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hardest game yet are 3 rd down play calling has to approve this will be a tuff game for sure

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not that scared of the Lions defense.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Brunet and Jerry Smith. Love these pictures you put up, it is amazing to me that I still recognize these guys all these years later but can't remember the guy in the bar who was like "Hey man, how are you?" I was who the hell is he? :noidea:

Yes I remember Smith and Brunet also. Brunet wasn't that good.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
classic , i love the spear helmets

I like the spear also but my my favorite is the white feather on the back of the helmet. Remember Norman Sneed.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I remember Smith and Brunet also. Brunet wasn't that good.

True, we had a host of guys - Gerry Allen, No Knees Tommy Mason, A. D. Whitfield, Gerry Allen, Ray McDonald, "Crazy" Joe Don Looney. None were any good, Gerry Allen might have had about 800 yards one year. Then came Larry Brown. :thumb:

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice of them to finally start posting the video for the pressers

have to navigate to facebook to view, but its better then nothing ...

wednesday presser

gruden

October 19, 2016

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On the injury report:

“Did not participate: [Josh] Doctson, Achilles; DeSean Jackson, shoulder. Limited were [Su’a] Cravens and [Jordan] Reed, concussion; [Spencer] Long with a knee; [Trent] Murphy, shoulder, knee; [Trent] Williams, knee; [Chris] Baker, knee and toe. Full were [Josh] Norman, wrist; [Martrell] Spaight, shoulder; [Dashaun] Phillips, hamstring.”

On the status of TE Jordan Reed and what the doctors have told him:

“Yeah, he is going to see our team doctor today. He did a little bit more today and then Friday he’ll see the independent doctor. We’ll know more really after Friday. We’ve just got to continue to progress him along and see how he’s feeling after more of a workload.”

On if it is “pretty unlikely” Reed plays on Sunday;

“No, not at all. It just means we have to wait and see what the independent doctor says and see how he does going through some work outside, you know, on a limited basis.”

On S Su’a Cravens:

“Same thing, same thing. He’s probably a little bit further along but he still has to… This is just increasing his workload and he’ll see our team doctor today and then he’ll see the independent guy Friday.”

On carrying WR Josh Doctson on the roster at the start of the season despite his injury:

“Well, he was a first-round draft pick and he’s very talented, number one. Number two, we wouldn’t have activated him if we didn’t think he was good enough to play or healthy enough to play and I think he felt good enough at that time where he could maybe fight through it, fight through some of the issues that he was having. After thinking about it, maybe we should have shut him down sooner, but being it that we had the MRIs and the X-rays and we really didn’t have any physical evidence or any evidence to say this is going to do more damage to your Achilles, we tried to see if he could fight through it or maybe it was going to get better. We just didn’t know. We still don’t know. But we’re going to rest him for a little while and hopefully that’ll help.”

On WR DeSean Jackson’s shoulder:

“I think he’s sore. We kept him out of practice today and he was in the whirlpool and the swimming pool. But I think he’ll be OK, I hope.”

On the team’s confidence post-game and players responding to media criticism on social media:

“Yeah, you’re not looking for negative publicity, obviously. I think after a game when you’re by your locker room, guys were a little excited. They played their tails off against a good Philadelphia team and sometimes some things are said that get caught on tape, but it is what it is. We beat a very good Philadelphia team and I think Baker’s quotes was a little out of line when he said what he said, but I like our guys being confident. I like them being upbeat and excited about winning football games. As far as being NFC East champs, defending champs, we are. You know, I’m proud of that and our guys are proud of that. It’s something that we have to defend. And it is an honor to be an… NFC East Champion. We have a longer way to go. We want more from our football team than that. But, I really don’t want people to get in bickering matches with the media. You can’t win. Just can’t win. But, I know Stephen does a good job with what he does, but he doesn’t know our team. He doesn’t know our coaches. He doesn’t know our fan base. And for him to call us all losers is out of line by him because he doesn’t know Jamison Crowder, Jordan Reed, Morgan Moses, Brandon Scherff and Will Blackmon and Ryan Kerrigan. He doesn’t know the type of work these guys put in, the type of players they are, the type of people they are, the coaching staff that we have. You know, hopefully we’ll put an end to it here shortly and it’ll all blow over like most of these media things do.”

On how he keeps Doctson positive:

“I think it’s important for him… You know, it’s important for him to get well and I think he understands that. I think there’s a bigger picture here with Josh, and the bigger picture is ‘Let’s get him well, 100 percent. Figure out how.’ And if it’s immobilizing him for a little bit of time, maybe that’ll give him some relief to get to the bottom of this, then so be it, let’s do it. So we’ll have to wait and see what we’re going to do with him from a long-term perspective, but short-term, let him get off of it for a while and see where that takes us.”

On K Dustin Hopkins’ play so far this season:

“Yeah, knock-on-wood, he’s been outstanding. He’s been a great weapon for us. And a great example was we were up by seven there and had a 50-yarder and we don’t blink sending him out there. You know, it was a risky call maybe, but he just knocked it right down the middle. Never a doubt. He’s just been extremely accurate. He’s been a great weapon on kickoffs. A great example of that is six seconds to go in the half, do you squib it when you have a kicker like that who we know is going to kick it out of the end zone. They take a knee and we get out of there at halftime up seven. So, he’s been outstanding in all phases – kickoff, kicking field goals, extra points, all that. He’s missed one extra point I think and one field goal and that was against the wind, a 58-yarder, which I probably should have not tried. So can’t say enough good things about Hop, man. He’s been pressure, he’s been great.”

On who gets credit for finding Hopkins:

“Me [laughter]. No, it’s funny, we weren’t really necessarily looking to make a change at the kicker spot. We liked Kai [Forbath]. We liked Kai a lot, but when we saw this guy workout, we heard the explosion off his foot kicking the ball. You know, it was a little tricky there. You hate to lose a consistent guy like Kai, but you also hate to lose a guy that might get picked up next week by somebody else. So we decided to take a chance, Scot [McCloughan] did, and it’s worked out for us.”

On the defense’s performance the last two games despite not recording a lot of takeaways:

“Yeah, it’s been good. The first two victories we got a lot of takeaways, but gave up a lot of yards. Last two weeks, we haven’t given up a lot of yards but haven’t gotten any takeaways. So imagine what we could do if we don’t give up yards and get takeaways, we’d be pretty good. But, I’m happy the way they’re playing. I’m happy that they’re playing sound football, number one. We’re not giving up any big plays, gashes. We are giving up plays, good offenses are going to come in here get some yards on us, but we’re not giving up the big plays and the touchdowns and the momentum-swinging-type plays. We’re making good fundamentally sound tackles and we’re gap-secure and our coverage has been outstanding, both in man and zone, so we’ve got to keep it up. The challenges only get greater and greater. This week’s no different. You’ve got Golden Tate, Matthew Stafford, my man Marvin Jones, Andre Roberts, Anquan Boldin, Theo Riddick if he plays. Very dangerous offense there, so we’re going to have to strap it up again.”

On what challenges Lions QB Matthew Stafford presents to defenses:

“I’ll tell you what, you can tell he’s a great competitor. He’s got the arm to make all the throws – the touch throws, the launch throws, drive it between two-three defender-type throws, the touch throws, like I said. But really he’s doing a great job of the off-schedule plays. He’s a great competitor. He doesn’t like to let a play get away from him. He’s going to try to buy time in the pocket, scramble around, and he can rip it across his body or down the sideline or what have you. He’s been great. He’s got a great corps of receivers around him that are playing very well. He’s a very dangerous guy. At any given time, the thing about him is he can hurt you. He’s got great vision down the field.”

On what Doctson will bring to the offense when he returns:

“I don’t know. He hasn’t practiced a lot with us. He hasn’t played a lot with us. But I’ll tell you what, the little bit that he has played, he’s an exciting guy. He’s big, long, and can really go up and get it. We’ll worry about that when that comes. The most important thing right now with Josh is getting him healthy – both mentally and physically.”

On if he addresses the team when they are criticized in the media:

“Well, I think they’re going to have a reaction a little bit, obviously. They’re competitors and they’ve done some good things. But we do take it personally – you have to if people call you out like that. But you also have to understand that when someone calls you out like that and they don’t know anything about what we’ve done and what we’ve been through together and the work that they’ve put in, you don’t really take too much account in it. It bothers me because he’s calling my guys that. If he wants to call me that, that’s fine. But when he starts talking about the players and the staff and the ownership, all the people who work so hard in this building, it bothers you.”

On the improvement of Lions WR Marvin Jones his time with Gruden in Cincinnati:

“Man, I’m fired up for Marvin. I’m proud of him. He’s one of those guys that came in as a rookie and really performed. He works hard. He runs every route the same – 100 percent. Great, great, great, great kid. I’m happy-as-heck that he got a contract that he was worthy of and he’s starting to live up to the expectations of being a No. 1 receiver over there. Hopefully he doesn’t have a good game against us. It will be a great challenge for Josh [Norman] and Bree [Bashaud Breeland] and [Greg] Toler and [Quinton] Dunbar. But I’m happy for Marvin and the success that he’s had.”

On if criticism affects QB Kirk Cousins:

“I don’t think it’s necessarily right. I think maybe it was more ‘could be getting to him, possibly’ because there’s a lot of it. But I don’t think it has. I think he’s proven that it hasn’t. I think a normal human being when you read all those criticisms over and over, it could get to you. But I think talking to Kirk, he doesn’t read it at all, so it doesn’t really get to him. I don’t think there’s really a lot to that either. When you play quarterback in the National Football League, unless you’re one of the greatest of all-time – like Tom Brady or somebody – you’re going to have some negative criticism. That’s just the nature of the position. That’s what you signed up for and that’s going to happen year-in and year-out, game-in and game-out. That’s why really the only substitute and the only antidote is winning football games.”

cousins

Last edited:

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday presser

Gruden

October 20, 2016

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On the injury report:

“[Josh] Doctson did not participate. DeSean Jackson did not with his shoulder and Jordan Reed did not with a concussion. Full were [Su’a] Cravens and everybody else.”

On if there was a setback with TE Jordan Reed:

“Not a setback, we just thought – the medical staff thought – today it was best to keep him out. And he’ll get evaluated today again – or tomorrow, I’m sorry – by the independent doctor.”

On WR DeSean Jackson’s status:

“DeSean’s just got soreness in his shoulder and we chose to keep him out today.”

On if Jackson will play Sunday:

“Yeah, as long as it’s not his legs, but we’ll see. We’ll see how he’s feeling. You know, seriously though, he’s sore right now but [we will] continue to get him treatment today and we’ll see how he’s doing tomorrow.”

On if Reed was showing signs that he needed a day off:

“No, I just think that they have their own way of doing things in the training room and they thought that today was a day that they should keep him off his feet.”

On if S Su’a Cravens is now out of the concussion protocol:

“No, he’s going to get evaluated again tomorrow, but he did everything today. So it’s just the progression of things and the protocol. He’ll get checked out by the independent guy tomorrow and hopefully he’ll get good news.”

On if that is the last step for Cravens to play Sunday:

“It’s still up to the doctor and how he’s feeling tomorrow – how he recovers from more and more work. So we’ll see how he does tomorrow.”

On how Cravens looked at practice:

“He looked great today. He did a lot, a lot of stuff with the linebackers. He did some scout team safety. So he did some good stuff.”

On if Cravens’ work as a scout team safety is developmental or for use this season:

“That’s developmental. We’re doing scout team stuff. It’s good for him to get back there and see the whole field. It’s good for his eye progression – both at linebacker and safety. It’s been good work for him. And since he’s been out for a couple weeks, it’s good for him to just keep running and keep working.”

On TE Derek Carrier’s progress:

“Yeah, he’s close. We could put him on his… You know, he’ll have 21 days of practice before we can activate him here pretty soon. That could be as early as next week, it could be after the bye – we’ll wait and see how he’s doing.”

On if players ‘hiding’ concussions makes him nervous:

“Yeah, I’m not going to put words in his [Jordan Reed’s] mouth but I don’t know if he meant he ‘hid’ it. I think he might’ve meant he knew when he got hit and got it. I don’t know if there is a difference there, but obviously we want our players to be honest, especially with the significance of the concussion. We don’t condone that in any way. I think, like I said, I don’t think really he noticed he felt any concussion issues until Tuesday, if that makes sense.”

On if RB Robert Kelley’s role for the rest of the season will be similar to what it was last week:

“I don’t know. I think every game is going to be different depending on how much we run the ball, time of possession. You know, fortunately for us against Philadelphia we had the ball a lot in the first half. You know, we had the kickoff return and the interception return, so our offense was on the field a lot, which enabled him to get a lot more touches. Obviously if we have that many opportunities offensively, he’ll get more and more touches. It just depends how the game flow goes and how many possessions and time of possession and all of that, but we’d love to get him some touches for sure.”

On if the team could carry four tight ends when Carrier is healthy:

“Well, we’ve got to get him healthy first and then see where we’re at. We love our three tight ends without a doubt right now. See how Jordan’s doing. Last week we played with two, which is a little scary, but obviously Ty Nsekhe can play tight end in some cases. But I think there will be a spot for him when he gets healthy. Eventually we can carry four very easily.”

On if the team could play with two tight ends again if Reed is unavailable:

“That could be a scenario, yes.”

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry

Defensive Coordinator Joe Barry

On the defense preventing big plays:

“I think you’d be hard-pressed to find any defense in the NFL that doesn’t preach ‘limit the explosion play.’ And we define that as plus-30-yard passes and plus-20-yard runs. And really we’ve been, I think for the most part, we have been good in that. When we have gotten hurt it’s been because of missed tackles. We’ve talked about that, especially in the run game. Yes, it’s something that… Again, I don’t know a defense or a defensive coordinator that doesn’t preach that. We preach let’s not beat ourselves. Let’s not give them anything. Let’s make them earn everything. And if you do that you’ve got a higher success of obviously keeping them out of the end zone and playing good defense.”

On the performance of the secondary:

“You know, very similar to last year. It seems we always have a bunch of moving parts there. But the guys have done a great job. Perry Fewell, Aubrey Pleasant do a great job with that room, with that group. I think we’ve been really consistent with having obviously good, young players but also having veteran guys that understand football. And I think even though, for example Will Blackmon’s playing a new position, you know, he’s played a lot of football. Same thing with Donte [Whitner Sr.] coming in here, brand new to the system, he’s still hearing things on a daily basis that it’s still new for him, but he’s a football player. He’s played a ton of football. So that helps in that regard.”

On S Donte Whitner Sr. earning playing time:

“I’m a firm believer you have 46 guys that have a helmet on game day and whatever number you have on defense – whether it be 21, 22, 23 – let’s find a role for them. Let’s get them all on the field. We have three safeties right now that we’re going to try to get in in different situations and between Duke [Ihenacho], Will [Blackmon], Donte, we’re going to get them all on the field in certain situations.”

On if CB Josh Norman is fulfilling the hopes the team had for him when he was signed:

“Liz, anytime that you sign a big-time, high-caliber, profile player, the No. 1 thing is you want playmaking, no question. But I think at the position he plays, you want consistency, and he’s been rock-solid in that regard. You know exactly what you’re going to get from Josh Norman every single week. We’re able to do different things with him week-in and week-out. He’s getting more comfortable in the system every single day, every single week. But my message with Josh has not changed. If anything, it’s intensified in the sense that he’s an unbelievable pro. He comes to work every single day, he wants to get coached, he wants to get better. You know, that’s how he really made a name for himself. By no means does he ever feel like he’s arrived or he’s the man. If anything, he’s even more hungrier to prove that he’s worthy. And I think that’s what makes Josh really, really special is that whether it be in the meeting room upstairs, whether it be in a walkthrough out in the bubble, whether it be obviously out in practice, he’s always looking to get better, improve his game. And that’s the thing that’s awesome when you have a guy like that that just wants to be coached. He craves knowledge, he craves information. He’s always looking to get better. So that’s a very cool attribute in a player, and he has it.”

On what has stood out about CB Kendall Fuller during his rookie season:

“You know, I’m going to give Virginia Tech a little plug right here because I said the same thing about Kyshoen Jarrett last year. He was just very mature, very football savvy, and Kendall is absolutely in the same mold. He is a rookie. He’s obviously young, that’s obvious. But he’s very mature for his age, football mature I’m talking about. Very detailed, asks great questions. You know, the biggest thing, playing any position but especially playing DB and specifically the nickel corner, you’ve got have a plan every week on how you attack the guy that you play based on what type of player that is, and usually young guys don’t get that. Usually young guys say, ‘Oh, I get the call, I’ve got to play the call.’ You know, ‘I’ve got to play my leverage, I’ve got to do my job.’ But you learn as you’re in this league, you’ve got to approach every single wide receiver different. And it’s cool that Kendall already understands that. He already really gets it and that’s why I talk about his awareness, his savviness, his instincts, whatever you want to call it. He has that and it’s really neat.”

On upon what the defense can continue to improve:

“Well, you know, we’re always striving to play better each and every week. You know, I equate it a lot of times to I read Michael Jordan refer to what he calls a ‘peak performer,’ and a peak performer is someone who equals or betters their last performance. And even though we played well last week, you know, it’s the challenge for us as coaches but the players love it. They want that challenge. Let’s go out and play better this week, you know? And if we can peak perform each and every week, that’s obviously the goal. That’s what you want to do. From a work ethic standpoint, from a preparation standpoint, you know, I’ve sat up here and said this from whether it was OTAs, whether it was Training Camp, we’ve got a great group of guys that come into work every day and punch the clock and grind. And even when we weren’t playing well, it wasn’t because of lack of preparation or work ethic. Our guys are very special. We’ve got a special group when it comes to that but they want to be challenged and they want to play better every week, you know? Doesn’t matter what you did the week before, let’s go out and peak perform this week and they love that and they’re up to the challenge every week.”

On what he did during the defense’s hour-long stretch without a play last week:

“I overanalyzed a lot, repeatedly. It’s great. I mean, again, any defensive coordinator will tell you, the best defense there is – the best call there is – is when you’re over with your guys on the sidelines drinking Gatorade… It’s a wonderful thing, it is unique. That was quite strange, but great job by our offense, great possessing the ball. You know, I’m never going to argue that at all.”

On if he has considered calling plays from the booth and the benefits of being on the field:

“You know John, I did it one time this preseason just to experience it. Even as an assistant coach, as a position coach, I was never in the box. So, I’ve spent my whole coaching career being on the field and I think it’s just a comfort level. You know, people say you go up in the box you’re able to see things a little bit better. I feel, just because I’ve being doing it so long on the field, I feel that I can see everything, but, yeah, it’s always discussed. I think those are things that you’ve got to kind of commit to in the preseason and say ‘OK, this entire preseason I’m going to go up in the box for all four games then make a decision.’ You know, me personally, I would feel uncomfortable doing that during the season. Also, I like to be able to… if something happens good or bad, I like to be able to be face-to-face with the player instead of having to get on the phone with him or whatever. So, yeah, it’s always discussed. You’re always potentially looking at ways to do things different but just from a comfort standpoint, I’ve always been on the field. I’d lose my mind I think if I was up in the box.”

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
friday presser

gruden

October 21, 2016

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On the injury report:

“Out will be Jordan Reed, concussion. Questionable will be DeSean Jackson, shoulder. We put Josh Doctson on IR, Achilles, and we brought up Maurice Harris.”

On WR Josh Doctson:

“We saw another specialist – a couple of them now. I think with all the work that we’ve put in, we thought it was best to immobilize him for a little bit of time and see if that can help. By the time he gets out of the boots, or boot, he’ll need time to see if he’s ready. Hopefully we’ll get him back for the last, maybe two games of the year.”

On if Doctson could return this year:

“He could be designated. You don’t really have to designate that. He could be out for the year, he could not be, I don’t really know yet. We’ll see how he is. Big thing is to just get him healthy. Based on all of the research we’ve done, we thought this was best for him, basically.”

On the disappointment of placing Doctson on IR:

“It’s disappointing, but I think it’s best for him – that’s the most important thing. I think for his state of mind, I think it was important to get this thing fixed and do it the right way. I think based on all of the information that we’ve gathered, we tried to push him along maybe a little bit too hard because we didn’t really feel like – we couldn’t really find anything wrong. But obviously he feels like there’s something wrong in there. Something is bothering him. So let’s get to the bottom of it, get him healthy, and get him ready for the end of the year or next year.”

On if TE Jordan Reed had a setback:

“I don’t think he had a setback. I just think they didn’t really clear him. That’s all. That’s all I can say. I don’t even try to argue or ask why, I just [ask] if he’s cleared or not and the answer is no. So hopefully we’ll get him back next week.”

On S Su’a Cravens’ availability:

“Yeah, he’s good to go.”

On if practicing inside helps to prepare for avoiding potential injuries in games on artificial turf:

“Not so much injuries, I think you have got to understand it’s a fast track and they have a fast team with Marvin Jones and obviously Golden Tate. So it’s different tempo, I guess, so to speak. And then the noise in a dome can affect you, especially offensively, with the cadence. We learned that against Baltimore. We had a couple instances where we had penalties, false starts, ball snapped before the quarterback was ready or anybody else was ready. So that’s the issues we’re trying to work out in there. That’s why the loud music, and all of that. There are some different challenges, but for the most part it benefits the speed really. The players that can really run, it benefits them. It shouldn’t really be a problem.”

On WR DeSean Jackson:

“He ran around pretty good. I don’t really want to put a percentage on it. We’ll have to wait to see how he does tomorrow, see how much range of motion he has and if he’s good. But he said he felt a lot better today so that’s a good thing.”

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mcvay

Offensive Coordinator Sean McVay

On the disappointment of placing WR Josh Doctson on IR:

“Yeah, you know, I feel terrible for Josh. I know he wants to be out there as much as anybody. I think we’ve seen some encouraging signs from him, been really encouraged watching the way he handles himself as a pro in the meetings too. So I think some of the stuff above the neck, he’ll be ready to go, but it’s a great opportunity for Maurice Harris and we’ve seen really encouraging things from him. So I think it is an awesome opportunity for Maurice.”

On WR Maurice Harris:

“I think he’s a big, physical receiver. He can compete both in the run and the pass game. Good aggressive hands, ability to run through the football with confidence, so he’s a guy that fits with what we’re looking for from that Z receiver position and we’re excited about his development.”

On the play of TE Vernon Davis last week:

“I think he did great. You know, Vernon is a pro. You could see why he has been an All-Pro player in his career and I thought he stepped up and did an excellent job with the opportunities that he had. He had the big touchdown catch and then the 37-yarder down the sidelines on first down, which was instrumental for us to be able to run out the clock or you know to continue to hold the ball in that situation. So, he’s a guy that’s competing well in both phases and I really feel fortunate to have him here.”

On the success of the offense against the Eagles:

“Well, they are a great defense, you know. [I have] a lot of respect for them and I thought it was a credit to our players. Coach [Bill] Callahan had a great plan in the run game and we did a great job collectively as a staff and ultimately it comes down to the players executing and I thought they did that in both phases. And it took all 11 and we were really excited and encouraged by the things that we’ve seen and we saw last week. We know there are always going to be things that we can correct and moving forward we’re looking forward to doing that against Detroit on Sunday.”

On how TE Niles Paul has handled his role:

“He’s done a great job. You know, he’s instrumental and very important to what they are doing on special teams and then he’s ready to go when he’s asked to perform on offense. And he’s a very valuable piece in terms of being able to move him around the formation where he can play the fullback, he can play tight end. His history as a receiver, you feel like you can split him out and use him on some certain things as well, so he did a nice job with his role. And kind of each game plan dictates a different role that he’ll have based upon which personnels we’re using, but I thought he did very well last week.”

On the growth of G Brandon Scherff:

“Yeah, I think he’s just continuing to mature as a player. I think you’re seeing improvement in both phases. I think, you know, just the utilization of some of the techniques and the fundamentals that Coach Callahan preaches and harps upon with those guys each and every day – whether it’s your hands, your sets in the pass game with regards to understanding ‘Alright, pre-snap alignments’ based on games coming, things like that… ‘Is this a quick play? Is it a little bit longer developing?’ You know, just some of the angles on the second level in the run game, so I think you’re seeing him mature as a player. He’s very talented and it’s exciting to see.”

On if he sees RB Matt Jones’ confidence rising:

“Absolutely, Rich. I think the best way to gain confidence is to have success and when he’s having success, that confidence is going to continue to grow. I think you saw Chris [Thompson] and Rob [Kelley] also do some excellent things, so to be able to have that type of performance collectively from that running back room I think it gives that group as a whole a lot of confidence going into Sunday. It’s going to be exciting to see how they do.”

On if he expects RB Robert Kelley to play more:

“You know, I think – like I continue to talk about – the flow of the game dictates a different response in terms of who’s going to be in, who won’t be. I thought it was great we were able to spell those guys as much as Coach [Randy] Jordan and Jay [Gruden] did being that we were able to sustain some drives so it led to some more opportunities and I think that was kind of the balance that we are looking for where you can figure out a way to get all three involved and get those opportunities in the run game.”

Cvdl4q_W8AAwCSO.jpg:large

Last edited:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty key players out for the lions game

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player