• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 5, 2015: Rams @ Packers

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All time leader in the PAC in passing yards says something about the dude.

Kid is "special" Mike, he did that record w/ an average team at best in the Beavers. He lit up the PAC w/ his arm, timing, accuracy and football smarts.

He is "Mr Right Now" in IMO.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you just said that putting a rookie QB behind an awful O line in the NFL will ruin him. (Basically) Maybe your obsession for Sam blinds you to your own acknowledgements but I do think holding a clip board for a few years when you can make all he throws has value for every rookie QB, not just those who win Heisman's. :eek:

I agree, he should hold a clipboard for at least a couple years, then maybe , or maybe not he might be a good QB. Yes Sammy playing behind poor olines didn't help his case, but he didn't play behind a oline this young and inexperienced! And bottom line Sammy was and is overrated! So there!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rarely translates to the NFL, it's much quicker game with bigger dudes, more fail than not!
You know, I think this is more of a reflection on the NFL then on these guys. There have been a few rookie QB's over time to start their first NFL game and go on to have a good career, but the position is so critical to an NFL club that IMO the NFL ruins more talent at QB than it develops.

That's not a reflection on great college QB's rather a reflection on the NFL teams expectation working with these college standouts.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Case Keenum see over the Rams oline? I have doubts

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O mikey....
Just playing around like we do Mr Wallace.

Just my opinion, Mr. Right now rarely turns out to be Mr. Right.

I hope if he can live up to your expectations talent wise & we give the young man time to develop his understanding of NFL defenses & such and he learns from the two in front of him.

He will be the better for it.

Last edited:

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Foles the honeymoon didn't last long.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kid is "special" Mike, he did that record w/ an average team at best in the Beavers. He lit up the PAC w/ his arm, timing, accuracy and football smarts.

He is "Mr Right Now" in IMO.

No no no, even if I did think he was the answer, which I don't, I would never throw him into this offensive mess!
I'm sure I don't follow the PAC as closely as you do, but I do follow college football. There is a lot more offense via the pass now a days than there was in the past, if I'm correct, there have been a ton of high scoring games in the PAC, which is a combination of possibly good QB play and poor defensive play?
Still the NFL is a much different game than the college game,Mannions quick reads aren't going to be as quick with some of the complex, better, bigger, quicker defenses in the NFl and most QB's find that out and they just don't cut it in the NFL.

Not saying he won't succeed, but the odds are against him, and he is definitely not ready NOW!

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying he won't succeed, but the odds are against him, and he is definitely not ready NOW!

Whoever said you have to keep a rookie on the bench and let him "learn the ropes" on the sidelines w/ a clipboard in hand.

Case in point:

MLB Houston Strohs...put a rookie RH pitcher in the starting lineup today, kid throws a 2hitter while a couple of other rookies are hitting multiple dingers out of the yard as well.

I don't buy sitting "some rookies" on the bench till "the time is right" managerial thinking. What the hell does that mean? Snap reps?

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, I think this is more of a reflection on the NFL then on these guys. There have been a few rookie QB's over time to start their first NFL game and go on to have a good career, but the position is so critical to an NFL club that IMO the NFL ruins more talent at QB than it develops.

That's not a reflection on great college QB's rather a reflection on the NFL teams expectation working with these college standouts.

You're right, the QB has to be the smartest guy on the field, he not only has to know what his job is, but every other players and where they are going to be or need to be, that's partly why the majority of them fail, you can have the biggest arm in the league, but if you can't read defenses or grasp your own playbook you will be watching tv from home like the rest of us!

It's still a fact that every Sunday you are facing "supposedly" a team of the best guys college had to offer. In college you are
playing against a team of the best "high school" had to offer. College defenses may have 1 or 2 "studs" on defense, that's not the case in the NfL

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever said you have to keep a rookie on the bench and let him "learn the ropes" on the sidelines w/ a clipboard in hand.

Case in point:

MLB Houston Strohs...put a rookie RH pitcher in the starting lineup today, kid throws a 2hitter while a couple of other rookies are

hitting multiple dingers out of the yard as well.

We aren't seriously comparing baseball against football, come on man, there is no comparison! But since you want to go there, there are baseball players that play college ball, then they play in the minors for a couple years. If you are a stud player in baseball obviously you have a better chance of making it than a college QB does. These guys aren't getting hammered by 300 pound d lineman on a constant basis, in baseball you are relying basically on yourself, a QB has to rely on his team, know play books, schemes, there are to many things that can go wrong for you in football.

I don't buy sitting "some rookies" on the bench till "the time is right" managerial thinking. What the hell does that mean? Snap reps?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Case in point:

MLB Houston Strohs...put a rookie RH pitcher in the starting lineup today, kid throws a 2hitter while a couple of other rookies are hitting multiple dingers out of the yard as well.

Baseball is different because a lot of it is film based. You always see a rookie or two do well in the playoffs because no one has a ton of film on them.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball is different because a lot of it is film based. You always see a rookie or two do well in the playoffs because no one has a ton of film on them.

There is absolutely no comparison! Might as well say something about Rickie Fowlers rookie year on the PGA

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No QB is great against the blitz with a bad o-line. I watched the game, those hits Foles took were nuts. We are lucky we didn't lose him for the year.

Bradford would have been out for the season by half time if he was still on your team

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly SJ, I gets an itchy trigger finger after a midfield turnover.... I'm a go deep after a turnover to break their hearts advocate kind of guy.

Don't remember if we did that, but even trying to get that is always okay with me.

I run it on second down if I gets nada on 1st though.

We didn't throw deep. Yeah i'm all for throwing deep on 1st or 2nd down. Keep those safeties back.

I believe we threw 2 short passes, 1 to the wrong guy.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mannion's a "pure pocket passer" who is extremely quick w/ his delivery and accurate as hell. Will stand tall waiting for his WRs to get open.

GET THE KID IN THE GAME!

He's not even close to being ready. He's too slow in every category so far. All he's seen is preseason against the 3's and 4's - some aren't even in the NFL right now.

Don't go homer. The GB defense would have killed Mannion

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mannion's a "pure pocket passer" who is extremely quick w/ his delivery and accurate as hell. Will stand tall waiting for his WRs to get open.

GET THE KID IN THE GAME!

You mean... He WAS quick in the Pac 12. Nothing quick about that guy right now. Takes forever just to get the snap and drop back 3 steps.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Foles the honeymoon didn't last long.
The Rams are stuck with him for the rest of the season. I don't trust either backup to be better. The type of QB that would be someone to plug in would be an athletic west coast type