• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: WEEK 2: 49ers at Vikings

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Mason was a revelation last week. Can he repeat? Can an improved defensive line get after Sam Darnold?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jordan Mason was a revelation last week. Can he repeat? Can an improved defensive line get after Sam Darnold?
I don't he'll repeat simply because he SHOULD get less reps. But knowing Shannahan.......

The defensive line was slightly disappointing against a suspect Jets O-line. The Vikings O-line is much better at the tackle spots, so not expecting more than one sack, same as the Jets.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t watch the game, but by looking at the box and the play-by-play, as expected, this OL is going to be the death of us.

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle has face Brian Flores three times since 2020. His offense was held to 17 points ALL three times. His QB was sacked 5 times, twice and 6 times in these respective games. His third and fourth down conversion rates depict a frustrated offense, not offensive genius. You would think having Deebo, Aiyuk, Jennings, Kittle, McCafffey, Purdy and Trent Williams would give a top 3 offensive schemer and play caller some advantages (yes, I know CMC di not play Sunday).

Flores, like Spagnuolo, can make less talent matchup with Kyle's stars. We need to hope Kyle's 49ers do not have to face the Vikings in the playoffs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kyle has face Brian Flores three times since 2020. His offense was held to 17 points ALL three times. His QB was sacked 5 times, twice and 6 times in these respective games. His third and fourth down conversion rates depict a frustrated offense, not offensive genius. You would think having Deebo, Aiyuk, Jennings, Kittle, McCafffey, Purdy and Trent Williams would give a top 3 offensive schemer and play caller some advantages (yes, I know CMC di not play Sunday).

Flores, like Spagnuolo, can make less talent matchup with Kyle's stars. We need to hope Kyle's 49ers do not have to face the Vikings in the playoffs.
Yes, credit Flores and their D for a solid performance. Their ability to apply pressure and of course sack Purdy, wasn't expected to be THAT easy?! IMO not everything was on the O-line, it seemed like the LB/Secondary knew what coverages to take? Then at times it seemed like they knew when the play was going outside on quick tosses?

No, even if we had CMC it would've still been a loss.

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your QB Purdy tells Flores his "scheme is crazy," it tells you Purdy was struggling a second year in a row against the same Vikings scheme. I think Kyle shares some blame for not coaching Brock up to recognize and attack the scheme.

The NFL offseason for coaches is one of introspection about weaknesses, studying your biggest challenges and preparing strategies to succeed when your team faces a superior player or squad. For years, Kyle was reviewing film of Aaron Donald and devising ways to neutralize him. Offenses around the league have been plotting to stop Nick Bosa. And, I have to think Kyle has been thinking long and hard about Brian Flores...or maybe he hasn't.

A survey of coaches this past offseason asked, what offense and defense are you studying. 70% said they were studying Kyle Shanahan's offense because it is successfully prospering around the League (McVay, McDaniel, LaFleur, Slowik, O'Connell). That makes sense. But 90% said they were studying Brian Flores' defense. That is some huge respect and awareness across the League. I hope Kyle was one of the 90%.