• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We need more speed on the O side

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That speed on offense Joe is talking about is part of the debate of why some of us think that Manning did his own play calling. He was lined up barking orders before a play could be called by the sideline.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One glaring issue that I have noticed this year is for how big we are at receiver and tight end we are extremely SLOW!! not a sub 4.5 guy in the starting lineup...The proof in the pudding was how teams played us the last 14 games. We could not separate. Jay saw 3 high and 4 high all year....forcing throws underneath. (This is from a different board but I thought it fit here.)

C

cubzzzfanincali

One glaring issue that I have noticed this year is for how big we are at receiver and tight end we are extremely SLOW!! not a sub 4.5 guy in the starting lineup...The proof in the pudding was how teams played us the last 14 games. We could not separate. Jay saw 3 high and 4 high all year....forcing throws underneath. (This is from a different board but I thought it fit here.)

I'm not sure I agree with this. There certainly was some Cover-3 played against us, but quarters coverage? I don't remember much of that.

I know that "speed" is more than a 40 time, but Jeffery ran a 4.48 40, Marshall a 4.52, Bennett a 4.68. I don't think those are generally considered slow. (TEs usually run slower 40s). Maybe not elite quickness, but not really slow.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is how Jay throws though. The receiver runs his route, stops, leaps and gets hit by three guys. They surrounded him with big targets because this is how he plays. When he misses a pass play that Brandon gets blamed for running the wrong route, Cutler holds the ball even longer and waits til he sees the receivers eyes before letting it go. Just about all these receivers have 3-6" height advantage over the defensive backs.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is how Jay throws though. The receiver runs his route, stops, leaps and gets hit by three guys. They surrounded him with big targets because this is how he plays. When he misses a pass play that Brandon gets blamed for running the wrong route, Cutler holds the ball even longer and waits til he sees the receivers eyes before letting it go. Just about all these receivers have 3-6" height advantage over the defensive backs.

No that's not how Jay throws. JBJ!! That were the plays that were called!

1. Marshall and Jeffery were both injured last year- limiting their burst and speed, and PREVENTING them from getting separation for most of the season. If you know your best WR didn't practice all week (for 3+ weeks) are you going to ask him to run deep routes? NO! (should he have taken a week or two off and healed completely? YES!) So if he's gonna play- you call short routes. Brandon almost ALWAYS had his back to the goal line when catching a ball...or crossing the field. Marshall didn't have the explosion he did in '13 and didn't win those jump balls.

2. Oline was injured, 7 or 8 different starting combinations prevented them from calling deeper routes AND prevented them from establishing a running game.

3. The DEFENSE SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Bears were DOWN in most games because the defense couldn't force a damn punt. And down BIG in a lot of games forcing their own offense to become one dimensional to get back in it- when that happens it's difficult to succeed.
When a defense knows they just have to keep things in front of them it's easy to sit back and tackle short passes/dump offs. No need to worry about running game cause of the OLine and score.

1+2+3= Shitty football, Coaches fired.... blame the Quarterback?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I agree with this. There certainly was some Cover-3 played against us, but quarters coverage? I don't remember much of that.

I know that "speed" is more than a 40 time, but Jeffery ran a 4.48 40, Marshall a 4.52, Bennett a 4.68. I don't think those are generally considered slow. (TEs usually run slower 40s). Maybe not elite quickness, but not really slow.
I noticed defenses did not worry much about us going deep. I really think a speed threat, 4th WR would give us a great flexibility and open things up for other players. No big money either to do this.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No that's not how Jay throws. JBJ!! That were the plays that were called!

1. Marshall and Jeffery were both injured last year- limiting their burst and speed, and PREVENTING them from getting separation for most of the season. If you know your best WR didn't practice all week (for 3+ weeks) are you going to ask him to run deep routes? NO! (should he have taken a week or two off and healed completely? YES!) So if he's gonna play- you call short routes. Brandon almost ALWAYS had his back to the goal line when catching a ball...or crossing the field. Marshall didn't have the explosion he did in '13 and didn't win those jump balls.

2. Oline was injured, 7 or 8 different starting combinations prevented them from calling deeper routes AND prevented them from establishing a running game.

3. The DEFENSE SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Bears were DOWN in most games because the defense couldn't force a damn punt. And down BIG in a lot of games forcing their own offense to become one dimensional to get back in it- when that happens it's difficult to succeed.
When a defense knows they just have to keep things in front of them it's easy to sit back and tackle short passes/dump offs. No need to worry about running game cause of the OLine and score.

1+2+3= Shitty football, Coaches fired.... blame the Quarterback?

Nobody is blaming your spank bank quarterback, we do not have 4.4 receivers because Jay does not throw in stride with any accuracy whatsoever.

O line was injured but still ranked top 8 in football in blocking. Stop using that excuse.

Defense sucked? what does that have to do with receivers stopping, jumping and reaching to catch the football? I dont care if you have a guy that runs 4.2 if his feet are off the ground, he isnt fast. Ask Devin Hester how his speed worked when he had to leap for the ball.

No matter what shitty coaches this guy had, I never saw him hit a guy in stride. Maybe practice when Wilson almost caught up to that pass that broke his collarbone.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is blaming your spank bank quarterback, we do not have 4.4 receivers because Jay does not throw in stride with any accuracy whatsoever.

O line was injured but still ranked top 8 in football in blocking. Stop using that excuse.

Defense sucked? what does that have to do with receivers stopping, jumping and reaching to catch the football? I dont care if you have a guy that runs 4.2 if his feet are off the ground, he isnt fast. Ask Devin Hester how his speed worked when he had to leap for the ball.

No matter what shitty coaches this guy had, I never saw him hit a guy in stride. Maybe practice when Wilson almost caught up to that pass that broke his collarbone.
We ranked 18th in pass blocking,at least be honest when you are trying to lie about jay

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We ranked 18th in pass blocking,at least be honest when you are trying to lie about jay

I am lying about our receivers, stopping and jumping to catch passes? I am lying about an airborne receiver not being fast at that moment? You are in the air, you are still while others are running. Best pass all season was that floater Claussen threw for a touchdown.