• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: WC semifinals: #6 Golden State Warriors vs #7 Los Angeles Lakers

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be completely honest with you. With the way the season started, even if the Warriors win this series in 7, as a Lakers fan I will still consider this a pretty damn good season.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say New York is in a lower tier but other than that I would agree pretty even overall. Still put Philly/Boston in the top of the higher tier
It's fun like this, wide open, really don't know who will win. The opposite of the superteam era. Warriors pulled it off last year under similar circumstances, looking unlikely this time.

But it's funny how the narratives get generated anyway...if the Warriors make a couple open 3s it's 2-2 and everyone assumes the Ws win it and no one is talking about Draymond punching Poole (all over the radio here today) and instead it's how the Lakers are too old or whatever. Suns go down 2-0, they suck, no defense or bench. They tie it up 2-2, Booker and KD are killers and the Suns are dangerous again.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be completely honest with you. With the way the season started, even if the Warriors win this series in 7, as a Lakers fan I will still consider this a pretty damn good season.
It really is, they were a joke until the trade deadline. And now they have as good a chance to win it all as just about anyone else. The playoffs are like a whole new season.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think high praise needs to be heaped on the front office and Rob Pelinka on the turnaround of this team. They saw the problem and addressed it as best they could. Now they're reaping the rewards.

The Warriors on the other hand saw a problem and instead of addressing it, they chose to bench Kuminga and Moody in favor of Anthony Lamb and Ty Jerome. Instead of trying to find a buy-out option, they signed Lamb to the 15th roster spot, for which he cannot see the court.

Tale or two processes.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's fun like this, wide open, really don't know who will win. The opposite of the superteam era. Warriors pulled it off last year under similar circumstances, looking unlikely this time.

But it's funny how the narratives get generated anyway...if the Warriors make a couple open 3s it's 2-2 and everyone assumes the Ws win it and no one is talking about Draymond punching Poole (all over the radio here today) and instead it's how the Lakers are too old or whatever. Suns go down 2-0, they suck, no defense or bench. They tie it up 2-2, Booker and KD are killers and the Suns are dangerous again.
A lot of teams loss bc they missed open shots. The Lakers missed more open shots and they still won. A lot more factors go into the game then that but those open shots stick out like a sore thumb after the game.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know @msgkings322 thinks Poole has got to go, but I'm not absolutely ready to ship him out.

There's a few different reasons, but the biggest one is that his work ethic by all accounts is outstanding. He puts in the time to get better and unfortunately that has not yielded any results in the playoffs.

IMO one thing that separates the NBA players is confidence. Right now Jordan's is as low as it has ever been. A lot of that has to do with what transpired before the season. Some of it is frustration at role throughout the year. And now it's compounding to essentially being played off the floor, mostly due to his defense. If his defense was just halfway decent, he could stay on to play through his mistakes.

What he needs to do this off-season is hit the weight room with intent. He needs to get stronger in order to be able to take more opportunities to get to the basket. Most importantly he needs to get stronger to improve his defense. He's arguably the worst perimeter defender in the NBA right now. It's that horrendous.

If he's able to absorb more contact, he won't have to play his usual matador defense. If his defense improves, he'll be able to be trusted out there to play through his slumps which every player goes through. He's still only 23. I still believe he can be a foundational piece for this team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really is, they were a joke until the trade deadline. And now they have as good a chance to win it all as just about anyone else. The playoffs are like a whole new season.

Yes, but what the Lakers did was extraordinary.

Started the season 2-10, were in 13th place in the West with only a month left to go. There was a 0.3% chance of them even making the playoffs,

And now they're one win away from making the WCF after knocking out the #2 seed and about to knock out the defending champs.

That's pretty fucking special.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know @msgkings322 thinks Poole has got to go, but I'm not absolutely ready to ship him out.

There's a few different reasons, but the biggest one is that his work ethic by all accounts is outstanding. He puts in the time to get better and unfortunately that has not yielded any results in the playoffs.

IMO one thing that separates the NBA players is confidence. Right now Jordan's is as low as it has ever been. A lot of that has to do with what transpired before the season. Some of it is frustration at role throughout the year. And now it's compounding to essentially being played off the floor, mostly due to his defense. If his defense was just halfway decent, he could stay on to play through his mistakes.

What he needs to do this off-season is hit the weight room with intent. He needs to get stronger in order to be able to take more opportunities to get to the basket. Most importantly he needs to get stronger to improve his defense. He's arguably the worst perimeter defender in the NBA right now. It's that horrendous.

If he's able to absorb more contact, he won't have to play his usual matador defense. If his defense improves, he'll be able to be trusted out there to play through his slumps which every player goes through. He's still only 23. I still believe he can be a foundational piece for this team.
Would the return really be greater trading him anyway? Big salary-team has to match and they aren’t giving up a great player to match salaries. If would be a veteran like Tobias Harris for example. I guess they could package him with Kuminga or a young guy in the right deal but I think Poole, Kuminga and Moody are there to stay right now. Role players can bd dropped and replaced. Steph can still be great for at least a couple more years…they will be fine. The big question mark is Draymond, imo it’s more if a question of when he goes rather than if he goes

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but what the Lakers did was extraordinary.

Started the season 2-10, were in 13th place in the West with only a month left to go. There was a 0.3% chance of them even making the playoffs,

And now they're one win away from making the WCF after knocking out the #2 seed and about to knock out the defending champs.

That's pretty fucking special.
I...just said "it really is"

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another missed “open” shot

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of teams loss bc they missed open shots. The Lakers missed more open shots and they still won. A lot more factors go into the game then that but those open shots stick out like a sore thumb after the game.
The biggest factor in close games between roughly equal teams is luck.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would the return really be greater trading him anyway? Big salary-team has to match and they aren’t giving up a great player to match salaries. If would be a veteran like Tobias Harris for example. I guess they could package him with Kuminga or a young guy in the right deal but I think Poole, Kuminga and Moody are there to stay right now. Role players can bd dropped and replaced. Steph can still be great for at least a couple more years…they will be fine. The big question mark is Draymond, imo it’s more if a question of when he goes rather than if he goes

If the season were to end today, I think the only 3 locks to stay next year are Curry, Wiggins and Looney. Unlikely guys to be traded would be Moody, Kuminga and GP2. Everyone aside from the locks though are open for discussion.

Then there's possible front office turnover. Will Bob Myers stay? If he is replaced, will a new President/GM want to replace with a new coach? What will the direction of the team be after this. Will Kerr want to stay around for a rebuild?

Just a lot of questions that have various directions they could take. I want Draymond and Klay to be lifers, but it's looking tougher and tougher to see that panning out. And that's mostly due to Kerr, tbh. Him not giving Kuminga, Moody and even Wiseman at the time any run for the sake of pushing out Anthony Lamb and Ty Jerome is criminal. He's not allowing any of the young guys to develop and then too heavily relying on these vets to take them past the finish line.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless it’s a 3 way deal with Tobias going to the Dubbs and Poole going elsewhere…
7CE3DA49-5010-4E82-983B-E380DF7E6A19.gif

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the season were to end today, I think the only 3 locks to stay next year are Curry, Wiggins and Looney. Unlikely guys to be traded would be Moody, Kuminga and GP2. Everyone aside from the locks though are open for discussion.

Then there's possible front office turnover. Will Bob Myers stay? If he is replaced, will a new President/GM want to replace with a new coach? What will the direction of the team be after this. Will Kerr want to stay around for a rebuild?

Just a lot of questions that have various directions they could take. I want Draymond and Klay to be lifers, but it's looking tougher and tougher to see that panning out. And that's mostly due to Kerr, tbh. Him not giving Kuminga, Moody and even Wiseman at the time any run for the sake of pushing out Anthony Lamb and Ty Jerome is criminal. He's not allowing any of the young guys to develop and then too heavily relying on these vets to take them past the finish line.
You think they would trade Klay? Idk man unless there is a huge falling out I just don’t see it. I think he is a Warrior for life jmo

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think they would trade Klay? Idk man unless there is a huge falling out I just don’t see it. I think he is a Warrior for life jmo

No I don't think they trade him. But I don't think he's an absolute lock. It's entirely possible the majority of this team runs it back next year. All options are basically open at this time.