• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

VT to the B1G

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you can add aTm to that gentleman's agreement. They don't want any other Texas teams in the SEC.

FSU was invited previously and turned it down. Bowden didn't want the competition. You can find tons of quotes about it if you google....

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great. Fine. Let's chalk it up to impossible. I think you're all insane if you think it can't happen, but it really wasn't important to me.

Moving on to my other question. Let's just pretend that VT AND FSU are off the board. For ANY fucking reason. I don't care what the reasons are. Would they still go for Clemson considering the buyout appears to still be at least 20 million? Clemson and Louisville?

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC were to add any schools in states they are already represented, one thing that has not been broached is the fact that the football product itself would be stronger. Assuming that both Clemson and FSU continue to win 9-10+ games a year, the SEC would continue to have a competitive stranglehold on the market place and revenue would continue to rise. Would it rise as sharply as if the league were to enter new markets? Probably not on the front end, but if that conference continues their reign of dominance, there's little evidence to the contrary that the TV money wouldn't rise as well.

As far as the supposed "gentleman's agreement," you guise skeeered or what? :cool2:

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College football is more and more popular down there. I'm not sure why the SEC would want to share the region if they can monopolize it. So I'm with you.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College football is more and more popular down there. I'm not sure why the SEC would want to share the region if they can monopolize it. So I'm with you.

Just a thought; when "selling" a product, you can either sell a lot cheap, inferior stuff to massive areas, or you can develop a superior product and still command attention. People tend to focus too much on exploiting new markets which in some cases (adding Syracuse, Boston College, potentially Louisville/UConn) waters down the product.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. It's all interesting to me right now, but my personal feeling is that we're going to lose the tradition.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the latest rumor is the B1G is eyeing Kansas. The B12 has been content to stay at 10, but they can't afford to lose any schools. So hopefully this lights a fire under these morons and gets them to realize you can't stand pat during realignment. You're either a player or a loser.......I hope they wake up soon and find 4 schools that will have interest.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great. Fine. Let's chalk it up to impossible. I think you're all insane if you think it can't happen, but it really wasn't important to me.

Moving on to my other question. Let's just pretend that VT AND FSU are off the board. For ANY fucking reason. I don't care what the reasons are. Would they still go for Clemson considering the buyout appears to still be at least 20 million? Clemson and Louisville?

Clemson has a great football tradition and backing but as far as markets go, they probably wouldn't be as attractive to the big 12 as..say...Georgia tech or another Florida school..Louisville seems like a shoe in and decent fit for the big 12...if the big 12-2 ever gets up to a 16 team superco, I'd expect Clemson, Louisville, and Cincy to be in there but probably not their first choices..jmo

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC reels in VT, I'm going to assume they're going after FSU. What do you think the Big 12's gameplan is at that point?

if we lose fsu.......the big 12 will probably go ahead and grab byu/louisville/pitt and one more ..........byu and louisville have been trying hard to get in over the last few years

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think byu was pretty much in then wvu became available and big 12 decided to expand east instead of west.....not 100% sure but i recall hearing byu was very close to joining

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ahhh..didn't think about pitt .. with wvu in the big12, that would be a much better option for the big12 i'm sure. i'm sure pitt would like to end up in the b1g if they had to leave the acc, but i'm not sure if that happens -- depends on motives.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still haven't showered since the ACC turned you down? Dude it's been like a year.

Bahhahahahaha very good, but I'd say we made out better in the end. Remember it is not I that is promoting my team to the Big 14 homeslice. Happy Turkey day VPI fan.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice for the SEC to add Clemson and FSU but I don't see it happening. If we are going to use anymore spots then the SEC will likely grab a team in North Carolina and Virginia