• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Boren would like to end The Longhorn Network

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Lance, you misunderstood me. Oklahoma is the only school in the conference that can (mostly) go head-to-head with Texas and win a fair share of the time. It's why we are such rivals. But the rest of the conference is way behind Texas......and OU to a lesser extent. The conference is dysfunctional. It's doomed. My position is Oklahoma needs to make a move up. I'd much prefer to do it in conjunction with UT and if we have to take our little brothers with us then that's OK too. But the Big XII sucks for OU long term in spite of our current "success". I'm thinking 10-15-25 years down the road.

And that dysfunction wasn't created by the LHN, but it was exacerbated by it. And this is the exact reason I'm glad A&M made the move to get off the ship.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't understand how the LHN, crappy or not, afffects the rest of the conference members negatively.

It's still just tier 3 content.

And it still is just sour grapes. When everyone else was selling their rights for money, everything was lovely.......when Texas started getting paid more than everyone else, it was a problem.

The LHN has no effect on any other school. Its not exactly a recruiting tool. It doesn't make any product we put on the field better. So how does it harm the conference?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Lance, you misunderstood me. Oklahoma is the only school in the conference that can (mostly) go head-to-head with Texas and win a fair share of the time. It's why we are such rivals. But the rest of the conference is way behind Texas......and OU to a lesser extent. The conference is dysfunctional. It's doomed. My position is Oklahoma needs to make a move up. I'd much prefer to do it in conjunction with UT and if we have to take our little brothers with us then that's OK too. But the Big XII sucks for OU long term in spite of our current "success". I'm thinking 10-15-25 years down the road.

But you have nothing to back that up. West Virginia makes more than OU in tier 3 money. Baylor and TCU have risen to the level of yearly contenders. OU made the playoff on the basis of the strength of TCU and Baylor. Kansas also makes a pretty penny in tier 3. You need to stop reading clay travis articles and look at the facts. If you want a bigger conference, just wait til the ACC dies in a few years. They make way less, and the Big ten and SEC would love to raid them for a few more network dollars. Or look at the Pac 12, their network is bombing. In the land of cord cutting, the big 12 model might be the way of the future. Texas is the only one stuck with ESPN, the rest of the big 12 might actually have the advantage in 5yrs.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you have nothing to back that up. West Virginia makes more than OU in tier 3 money. Baylor and TCU have risen to the level of yearly contenders. OU made the playoff on the basis of the strength of TCU and Baylor. Kansas also makes a pretty penny in tier 3. You need to stop reading clay travis articles and look at the facts. If you want a bigger conference, just wait til the ACC dies in a few years. They make way less, and the Big ten and SEC would love to raid them for a few more network dollars. Or look at the Pac 12, their network is bombing. In the land of cord cutting, the big 12 model might be the way of the future. Texas is the only one stuck with ESPN, the rest of the big 12 might actually have the advantage in 5yrs.

You argument, so far as athletics goes, is strong. But I'm just as focused on the academic equation. Look, I've got a B.A. and a M.A. from the University of Oklahoma. I've got a PhD from New York University. But when people ask me where I went to school I say "OU".......and then add the Doctorate stuff if it fits the conversation but most of the time I just mention OU. I want my OU degrees to mean more if Oklahoma can join a stronger academic conference, gain AAU membership, etc. I know this is a sports board but academic factors have to play a part in this discussion about what is best for OU overall.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You argument, so far as athletics goes, is strong. But I'm just as focused on the academic equation. Look, I've got a B.A. and a M.A. from the University of Oklahoma. I've got a PhD from New York University. But when people ask me where I went to school I say "OU".......and then add the Doctorate stuff if it fits the conversation but most of the time I just mention OU. I want my OU degrees to mean more if Oklahoma can join a stronger academic conference, gain AAU membership, etc. I know this is a sports board but academic factors have to play a part in this discussion about what is best for OU overall.

That i can understand, so I guess you're wanting to go to the Big ten. Good luck with that, maybe you and Kansas can go in together.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That i can understand, so I guess you're wanting to go to the Big ten. Good luck with that, maybe you and Kansas can go in together.

No, the Pac12. I want both advantages. Sports: better recruiting and getting to play some new, interesting teams (plus keep Texas on our schedule and hopefully take you guys plus the little brothers with us). Academics: associate with a better crowd and set the stage for eventually gaining AAU membership. No sane Sooner wants to go to the Arctic.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

That you think you've listed the "facts" is kind of the point about the denial.

So poke holes in my facts. I'm not attacking you, just wondering what you're disputing. Maybe i can learn something.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the Pac12. I want both advantages. Sports: better recruiting and getting to play some new, interesting teams (plus keep Texas on our schedule and hopefully take you guys plus the little brothers with us). Academics: associate with a better crowd and set the stage for eventually gaining AAU membership. No sane Sooner wants to go to the Arctic.

Are all the pac 12 schools in the AAU? I think the faster path to the AAU would be the big ten, i know they do a lot of shared research together. Does the pac also do that?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are all the pac 12 schools in the AAU? I think the faster path to the AAU would be the big ten, i know they do a lot of shared research together. Does the pac also do that?

I would not want to go to the Arctic Conference even if they guaranteed OU an immediate membership in the AAU. That conference would be the death of OU football recruiting. I want it all: a better academic environment and an improved recruiting base for all sports. Boren is cagy as a shit house rat; that's what he wants too but he's playing a game because he can't just come right out and say "fuck this diseased conference; we're out of here".

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok, how about this entire post.

Boren is seriously a dumb a##. How is OU suffering? They made the CFP based on the strength of the big 12, they're ranked #1 in basketball based on the strength of the big 12, and make 5 mil a year on their Tier 3 rights. More than any pac 12 and ACC schools, and the same amount as the SEC (this season anyway). WTF is he crying about really? Guy needs to quit reading Clay Travis articles.

Oklahoma made the CFP based on the strength of the Oklahoma football team and only having 1 loss. The "strength" of the Big12 was just an illusion provided by the backloading of the schedule. Oklahoma was good, TCU and Baylor were decent and that was about it.

They are ranked #1 in basketball because they are a really good basketball team.

5 mil a year on T3 rights is about to be considered horrible here in about 3 months, if not already. Every SEC team got more than that this past year, and that wasn't even based on a full years revenue and was after having to pay startup costs.

But overall, it's this - members of your conference are publicly talking about the problems and yet according to Texas fans - everything is just great and they are dumb. That's straight up denial and that's how you wake up one morning all alone.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't understand how the LHN, crappy or not, afffects the rest of the conference members negatively.

It's still just tier 3 content.

And it still is just sour grapes. When everyone else was selling their rights for money, everything was lovely.......when Texas started getting paid more than everyone else, it was a problem.

The LHN has no effect on any other school. Its not exactly a recruiting tool. It doesn't make any product we put on the field better. So how does it harm the conference?

Together, they could collectively bargain for more. Texas doesn't need the other schools to sell its brand but adding their brand to the rest helps the other schools. It's pretty damn basic. You have this fuck the rest of you attitude, fend for yourself. Well Kansas State isn't going to command the clout Texas does, but if Texas stood with Kansas State, they could get a little more for Kansas State. Texas won't do that because frankly their pompous assholes. How do you not get it?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, how about this entire post.

Oklahoma made the CFP based on the strength of the Oklahoma football team and only having 1 loss. The "strength" of the Big12 was just an illusion provided by the backloading of the schedule. Oklahoma was good, TCU and Baylor were decent and that was about it. -whether an illusion or not, you agree the thought was the big 12 was good.

They are ranked #1 in basketball because they are a really good basketball team.-beating other top ranked big 12 teams, its no secret at this point that the big 12 is the best bball conference this season.

5 mil a year on T3 rights is about to be considered horrible here in about 3 months, if not already. Every SEC team got more than that this past year, and that wasn't even based on a full years revenue and was after having to pay startup costs. -cool, show me the link stating the SEC is making more than 5mil. I might be wrong, just show me.

But overall, it's this - members of your conference are publicly talking about the problems and yet according to Texas fans - everything is just great and they are dumb. That's straight up denial and that's how you wake up one morning all alone.
-

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Together, they could collectively bargain for more. Texas doesn't need the other schools to sell its brand but adding their brand to the rest helps the other schools. It's pretty damn basic. You have this fuck the rest of you attitude, fend for yourself. Well Kansas State isn't going to command the clout Texas does, but if Texas stood with Kansas State, they could get a little more for Kansas State. Texas won't do that because frankly their pompous assholes. How do you not get it?

If the SEC can't get more than 5mil a year, how do you think the big 12 together can? The myth that these conference networks are huge money makers is over, more and more american's are cutting the cord. Frankly, UT is stuck with ESPN who can't leave the cable model, the rest of the big 12 teams can go the direct to consumer route and be prepared for the future. Ask the pac 12, they're struggling with their network.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC can't get more than 5mil a year, how do you think the big 12 together can? The myth that these conference networks are huge money makers is over, more and more american's are cutting the cord. Frankly, UT is stuck with ESPN who can't leave the cable model, the rest of the big 12 teams can go the direct to consumer route and be prepared for the future. Ask the pac 12, they're struggling with their network.

Whatever the venue, it doesn't matter. The conference needs to stand together or break up. If Texas wants to be independent, then go independent and leave the BIG XII.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that dysfunction wasn't created by the LHN, but it was exacerbated by it. And this is the exact reason I'm glad A&M made the move to get off the ship.

Correct me if I'm wrong ( I may very well be, didn't follow behind the scenes Big12 goings on then) didn't Texas try to get the conference to form a conference network before LHN and got the Heisman stiff arm from everyone else?

If so, I can't see why people are so outraged by them getting one on their own :noidea:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong ( I may very well be, didn't follow behind the scenes Big12 goings on then) didn't Texas try to get the conference to form a conference network before LHN and got the Heisman stiff arm from everyone else?

If so, I can't see why people are so outraged by them getting one on their own :noidea:
I think you have it correct. But those Heisman stiff arm schools that didn't want a conference network also didn't like UT having their own either. But, IIRC, Notre Dame's deal with NBC is what started it all...be it individual school or conference wide. That's when TV started controlling CFB.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever the venue, it doesn't matter. The conference needs to stand together or break up. If Texas wants to be independent, then go independent and leave the BIG XII.

I agree, so tell Boren to STFU or leave. He's the one creating disfunction. But blame Texas

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
members of your conference are publicly talking about the problems

Member(s)??
It only seems to be David Boren saying anything. He is being a lone wolf.

He believes that the Big 12 teams are each losing another 4-6 million by not having a Big 12 Network.

The current system pays on average 2.5 million per team for basic 3rd tier only not marketing add-ons.
And that number is without adding the 15 million LHN to skew the average.

Simple Math suggests that the Big 12 Network would have to pay between 6.5 and 8.5 million to support Boren's delusions [2.5 + (4-6) in losses].

The SEC is making 5 million is and lapping the field badly. The next closest is 3 million.
There is no way in the world that the Big 12 Network would get 6.5 - 8.5 million.

The Big 12 Network would be lucky to get PAC or ACC levels....around 1-2 million.
Hence, the current system is the best one for now. it is not perfect, but it is better than a cable network for now.