• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Boren would like to end The Longhorn Network

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go again.

w620-7611fdf4aa8bad3b0e969314523b4f46.jpg
David Boren would like to form a Big 12 Network. (Photo by Paul Hellstern)
David Boren has his sights set on something bigger than conference expansion or a Big 12 title game. The OU president is focused on what started this whole “psychologically disadvantaged” Big 12 in the first place.
The Longhorn Network.
On Wednesday, day the NCAA voted to allow the Big 12 to stage a football championship game even without divisional play or at least 12 members, Boren released a statement to the OU Daily, the campus newspaper.
“The Big 12 is disadvantaged when compared to the other conferences in three ways. We do not have at least 12 members, we do not have a conference network and we do not have a championship game. I think that all three of these disadvantages need to be addressed at the same time. Addressing only one without addressing all three will not be adequate to improve the strength of the conference.”
What Boren is talking about is the end of Bevo TV.
The Longhorn Network was the catalyst for much of the Big 12 exodus. Certainly Texas A&M and Missouri in its wake. Nebraska’s departure a year earlier was Texas-related, but more broad-based than just UT’s impending 20-year, $300-million contract with ESPN.
While other conferences, particularly the SEC and the Big Ten, have flourished with conference networks, the Big 12 has been a European caste system with The Longhorn Network. Texas is flush with money, most of the rest of the schools have garnered little from the broadcast rights available to market on their own. And a Big 12 Network is not possible as long as Texas has Bevo TV.
But The Longhorn Network has been a financial disaster for ESPN and has not spurred Texas to great heights athletically. Since the advent of Bevo TV, Texas football and basketball have nose-dived. And while UT’s other sports have ranged from solid to elite, UT’s other sports always have ranged from solid to elite.
Don’t consider this a Bevo Bash. You can’t blame Texas. The Longhorns were looking out for themselves and found the golden calf. The Big 12’s policy of giving to the schools broadcast rights not designated in contracts with ABC/ESPN and FOX was not a 1-11 vote. OU, Texas A&M and Nebraska stood with Texas.
But the folly of school networks has been exposed. Conference networks are the way to proceed, both from a marketing and from a strengthen-the-conference standpoint. A Big 12 Network, while having little chance of being as lucrative as the Big Ten’s or the SEC’s, would do exactly what Boren believes it would do: solidify a league that has been unstable for six or seven years.
So what to do about it? Texas hasn’t exactly been a Musketeer. One-for-all and all-for-one? Not in Austin. And you can’t blame the Longhorns for that. We all look out for ourselves.
But perhaps Boren senses that this is a time to strike. A time to convince Texas that its best interest is to move to a conference-network model that strengthens the league and would in turn strengthen each league member.
The architects of Bevo TV — athletic director DeLoss Dodds and president Bill Powers — are gone. New leadership is in place. Could they be convinced to adopt a Big 12 Network? Roll The Longhorn Network into a Big 12 Network?
Certainly, financial provisions would have to be made. Texas is guaranteed $15 million a year from Bevo TV. A Big 12 Network would not make that much for each individual school. At least not now. Would the Big 12 members agree to guarantee Texas $15 million a year for the next 15 years, with the rest of the league sharing equally the remaining payouts, be it $5 million or $8 million or $10 million?
Could a compromise be reached? Now certainly is the time to discuss such things.
Boren is on to something. Why patch a hole when the whole roof needs replaced. Why add a football title game when bigger issues linger? Why expand, if the same problems would exist?
Boren’s declaration that fixing everything at once — expand, ideally to 12, which would give the league a title game, while also implementing a conference network — would get the Big 12 back on the road to equal footing with the leagues it considers its peers.
Form a Big 12 Network, and suddenly different schools look much better. Connecticut, for example. An entire state of 3.5 million is gaga over UConn basketball. A Big 12 Network would sell in New England, while providing exposure for the other schools.
Brigham Young would be an interesting case. BYU TV is a major force — it was on my cable system at the Camelback Inn in Scottsdale — and the Cougars would have to move their athletic content from BYU TV to a Big 12 Network. I have no idea if that appeals to BYU; the current Big 12 system is perfect for the Cougars. But if BYU athletics moved into a Big 12 Network, that would open markets everywhere for the enterprise. BYU has a national following.
The other expansion candidates — Cincinnati, Boise State, Houston, Central Florida, East Carolina, whoever you think of — don’t really register much on the conference-network train.
But Connecticut and Brigham Young would be major additions.
Boren has been politicking for a long time for Big 12 change. His public statements on the “psychologically-disadvantaged” league. His efforts to build consensus for expansion.
This is his goal: the end of The Longhorn Network, and a Musketeer attitude in the Big 12.

Attachments

• tramel001.jpg
    tramel001.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 22

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas is going to do what Texas wants...always have. No need to change now, even if it would mean the end of the Big 12. Texas would probably just go independent.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.
I tend to agree that all 3 problems need to be addressed at one time.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article is a farce, Texas fans have been telling me for years that the Big 12 didn't need a network that individual networks were the way to go, the conference didn't need to expand the round robin was the better format and there was no need for a championship game.

Texas knows that all the other Big 12 schools are their bitch it's just time the rest of you realized it and just let the Longhorns run the conference. You're nothing without Texas so bend over and say thank you.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Boren knows that the alternative to what he suggests is jumping to another conference.
And is ready for it this time.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Boren knows that the alternative to what he suggests is jumping to another conference.
And is ready for it this time.
Think Texas is going to allow you to follow them to the PAC? That would be the charitable thing to do.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Don’t consider this a Bevo Bash. You can’t blame Texas. The Longhorns were looking out for themselves and found the golden calf. The Big 12’s policy of giving to the schools broadcast rights not designated in contracts with ABC/ESPN and FOX was not a 1-11 vote. OU, Texas A&M and Nebraska stood with Texas."
@7Samurai13 I stand corrected from some of what I said on the other thread. I thought the ire was due to the LHN. It appears Nebraska voted with Texas on 3rd tier rights. I guess Dr. Tom's wrath was more at Deloss Dodds than UT or the Big 12.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, espn is losing money and cable tv is dying. This clown wants to start a big 12 network, he's about 3yrs too late.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But The Longhorn Network has been a financial disaster for ESPN.....
I thought all along ESPN was buying a pig in a poke with this and some of their other deals. Isn't ESPN having revenue problems?

yourTEAMreallySUCKS

Sooner, Cock, Rise Up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article is a farce, Texas fans have been telling me for years that the Big 12 didn't need a network that individual networks were the way to go, the conference didn't need to expand the round robin was the better format and there was no need for a championship game.

Texas knows that all the other Big 12 schools are their bitch it's just time the rest of you realized it and just let the Longhorns run the conference. You're nothing without Texas so bend over and say thank you.

Says bama's little bitch

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn....for real?

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn....for real?
Look at populations of the states in the Big 12 outside of Texas and Oklahoma it's very weak. They have to add Cincy and a Florida team to have any hope of launching a successful network population wise and really need to go to 14.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at populations of the states in the Big 12 outside of Texas and Oklahoma it's very weak. They have to add Cincy and a Florida team to have any hope of launching a successful network population wise and really need to go to 14.
I understand all.that, but how does UConn work? Farther away from West Virginia, not exactly a hotbed of talent, not a major media market (it wouldnt necessarily get them the NYC market)

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand all.that, but how does UConn work? Farther away from West Virginia, not exactly a hotbed of talent, not a major media market (it wouldnt necessarily get them the NYC market)
Very small pool of available schools that bring value.

BYU
Cincy
USF or UCF
Memphis
East Carolina
UConn
Colorado State

That's pretty much your pool.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A big 12 Network would be a waste of time.
There is no market for it, and nobody to pay for it.

ESPN ain't paying for it. The TV Network model already seems outdated without a giant lunatic level demand.
It can work for the SEC....but it has been an abject failure for the PAC and ACC.
The Big 10 had to give up valuable 2nd tier stuff, or it would fail for them as well.
There is no way to make a Network profitable unless its the SEC and its sparse pro team representation.

The Big 12 could in theory go into massive debt to pay for it and gamble on some equity position.
It would take over a decade to even break even for those schools with a tepid footprint and no financing.

You would greatly anger the 4 schools who do have nice 3rd tier deals (UT, OU, KU, WVU).
And simultaneously remove the only thing preventing the PAC-12 from talking with Texas and Oklahoma.

The other six schools have to be pissed.
Boren is essentially making it easy for Texas, Oklahoma, WVU, and Kansas to leave without any guilt.

I think Boren might be on the payroll of the PAC-12 if this is his focus.