• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Boren would like to end The Longhorn Network

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this:

1. Texas goes independent
2. Nebraska rejoins Big XII
3. Houston replaces Texas in the Big XII
3. Cincinnati or Memphis is added to the conference
5. B1G adds Virginia
6. UConn joins the ACC
7. Playoff expands to 8
8. I get a full ride to law/grad school
9. Everyone's happy

problem1.jpg

Where's my Nobel Peace Prize?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boren wants OKLAHOMA to go to the PAC-12.
That is all..

He wants to find some stooge school to expand and prevent any legal damages from breaching the GOR.
He wants to bust up the LHN, so Texas doesn't get wishy washy and stay with the Big 12.
He wants to eliminate the sweetheart deals of Kansas and WVU to get them looking elsewhere.

He knows that the PAC-12 is unlikely to take OU by itself
Nor is the PAC-12 likely to take the little brother schools as a package.
Nor is the PAC-12 likely to test the waters unless KU and WVU seem antsy as well.

The PAC-12 would accept Texas and OU as a package under 3 conditions:
(No GOR, No LHN, No little brother schools).

He has to get rid of the LHN and also piss Texas, WVU, and KANSAS enough for them to look elsewhere as well.
But, he also has to have some sham expansion candidate to keep the GOR damages low if possible as well.

Well Played Boren.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN would probably like to end the Longhorn Network too. :D

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this:

5. B1G adds Virginia
6. UConn joins the ACC
7. Playoff expands to 8
9. Everyone's happy

View attachment 77093

Nebraska has it made in the B1G, no reason to join flyover country conference again.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boren wants OKLAHOMA to go to the PAC-12.
That is all..

He wants to find some stooge school to expand and prevent any legal damages from breaching the GOR.
He wants to bust up the LHN, so Texas doesn't get wishy washy and stay with the Big 12.
He wants to eliminate the sweetheart deals of Kansas and WVU to get them looking elsewhere.

He knows that the PAC-12 is unlikely to take OU by itself
Nor is the PAC-12 likely to take the little brother schools as a package.
Nor is the PAC-12 likely to test the waters unless KU and WVU seem antsy as well.

The PAC-12 would accept Texas and OU as a package under 3 conditions:
(No GOR, No LHN, No little brother schools).

He has to get rid of the LHN and also piss Texas, WVU, and KANSAS enough for them to look elsewhere as well.
But, he also has to have some sham expansion candidate to keep the GOR damages low if possible as well.

Well Played Boren.
Where would KU and WVU go? I could see KU making it to the B1G because of basketball but WVU? Also the little brother schools would end up in the MWC or maybe the AAC for ISU and KSU.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where would KU and WVU go? I could see KU making it to the B1G because of basketball but WVU? Also the little brother schools would end up in the MWC or maybe the AAC for ISU and KSU.
yea WVU doesn't have many options (though the basketball is good here too)unless the BIG would want OU or KU and WVU for an east/west move but I wouldn't think so, they would prob take UConn first for the tv market.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, espn is losing money and cable tv is dying. This clown wants to start a big 12 network, he's about 3yrs too late.
The key is to put the network in place and own the content. Games are going to take place and people are going to watch having a mechanism in place to make flexible decisions based on the new market is the key. The Big 12 having a network is the platform and it is becoming critical to have it.

If cable folds the LHN is worth nothing and you are locked into one fan base diversifying and having a conference wide distribution is key.

These conference networks will stream line Netflix at some point and its suicide not to have a structure in place. Even Notre Dame will have to bolt to a conference to protect its revenue.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this:

5. B1G adds Virginia
6. UConn joins the ACC
7. Playoff expands to 8
9. Everyone's happy

UVA isn't leaving the ACC anytime soon, especially with the ACC having the GoR in place until the mid 2020's. If they would've ever left, it probably would've been around the time when a lot of people were predicting the destruction of the ACC when Maryland left for the B1G.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that KU would probably go to the B1G but would it have to be a package deal with KSU is the question.

As for WVU, the B1G could possibly be an option in they wanted them. I don't see any possibility of them in the ACC unless Notre Dame joins the ACC in football as well, to make it an even 16 teams. And even that might be far fetched since the ACC had plenty of opportunities to poach them away and never did. After those two conferences, the third option would be going back to the AAC.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key is to put the network in place and own the content. Games are going to take place and people are going to watch having a mechanism in place to make flexible decisions based on the new market is the key. The Big 12 having a network is the platform and it is becoming critical to have it.

If cable folds the LHN is worth nothing and you are locked into one fan base diversifying and having a conference wide distribution is key.

These conference networks will stream line Netflix at some point and its suicide not to have a structure in place. Even Notre Dame will have to bolt to a conference to protect its revenue.

You're wrong, the key is to have your own online network as a school. ESPN is in a horrible position, they've paid to much for sports rights and are now forced to stick it out with cable companies. Basically the LHN and SEC network will stay on cable, while everybody else moves to streaming. I posted an article somewhere showing ESPN would go bankrupt if they tried a Netflix model, their only hope is for suckers like me to keep paying for cable. Eventually schools will all have their own online network, why should you sit through a bama/LSU baseball game when you would prefer Auburn vs Georgia?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're wrong, the key is to have your own online network as a school. ESPN is in a horrible position, they've paid to much for sports rights and are now forced to stick it out with cable companies. Basically the LHN and SEC network will stay on cable, while everybody else moves to streaming. I posted an article somewhere showing ESPN would go bankrupt if they tried a Netflix model, their only hope is for suckers like me to keep paying for cable. Eventually schools will all have their own online network, why should you sit through a bama/LSU baseball game when you would prefer Auburn vs Georgia?
I have a son-in-law in media marketing. He has been telling me for a while that what you've described is the direction it is heading. Not necessarily because of sports. He states "my generation wants what it wants" and doesn't want to pay for all the "bundles" and still don't get to view "what they want" exactly as you describe. He hates having to pay for all the ESPN, Fox, Big 10 Network, SEC Network and LHN when he wants to watch Syracuse games. (He's a Buffalo guy.) Has to stream them online in order to watch them unless they happen to be on ESPN or playing a Big 10, SEC or UT and then it may not even be on. .

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order to be "equal" to the other conferences, wouldn't the Big 12 have to go to 14 teams instead of 12?
I believe he is talking about a CCG with 12 compared to the terrible idea of one with 10. He wants that fixed today then wait a few years to add more ( prob thinking about other P5 schools).

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a son-in-law in media marketing. He has been telling me for a while that what you've described is the direction it is heading. Not necessarily because of sports. He states "my generation wants what it wants" and doesn't want to pay for all the "bundles" and still don't get to view "what they want" exactly as you describe. He hates having to pay for all the ESPN, Fox, Big 10 Network, SEC Network and LHN when he wants to watch Syracuse games. (He's a Buffalo guy.) Has to stream them online in order to watch them unless they happen to be on ESPN or playing a Big 10, SEC or UT and then it may not even be on. .

Oh yeah, we are the generation of Netflix, we click a button and watch whatever the heck we want, when we want. I'm telling you, UT and the SEC is stuck with ESPN and their inability to go to this model, the other conferences should start moving to this streaming model. Boren wanting a Big 12 network is like wanting to invest in VCRs.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.
I tend to agree that all 3 problems need to be addressed at one time.
Texas would just be smart to let the, already established, Longhorn network morph into a B12 channel.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas would just be smart to let the, already established, Longhorn network morph into a B12 channel.

the other schools should launch online networks, take advantage of this new age.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know he was really hoping for that PAC invite right after NU and CU bolted...

One of the reasons Nebraska left when it did.

If and when the Big 12 explodes, I have no doubt that OU will get that PAC invite. If Nebraska would have turned the B1G down back then and the Big 12 goes away - Nebraska is probably in the AAC.