• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Boren would like to end The Longhorn Network

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Together, they could collectively bargain for more. Texas doesn't need the other schools to sell its brand but adding their brand to the rest helps the other schools. It's pretty damn basic. You have this fuck the rest of you attitude, fend for yourself. Well Kansas State isn't going to command the clout Texas does, but if Texas stood with Kansas State, they could get a little more for Kansas State. Texas won't do that because frankly their pompous assholes. How do you not get it?

I don't see it because KANSAS STATE VOTED AGAINST A CONFERENCE NETWORK

You have it backward on who's pompous here. If they wanted to use our marketing in their favor, they had plenty of opportunities to do so.

That's on them

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, so tell Boren to STFU or leave. He's the one creating disfunction. But blame Texas

No no, Texas is the reason for the dysfunction. Surely you must see this. They want to stand alone. They led the charge for retaining 3rd tier rights. There is no denying that. It's not good for the health of the conference in the long run, It just isn't. Texas needs to play ball with the conference and bargain collectively or go independent.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it because KANSAS STATE VOTED AGAINST A CONFERENCE NETWORK

You have it backward on who's pompous here. If they wanted to use our marketing in their favor, they had plenty of opportunities to do so.

That's on them

Yup, they were stupid as it wont be sustainable in the long run. A new deal is needed.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, they were stupid as it wont be sustainable in the long run. A new deal is needed.
This. The landscape for viewing is ever changing and long term deals should be avoided IMHO.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No no, Texas is the reason for the dysfunction. Surely you must see this. They want to stand alone. They led the charge for retaining 3rd tier rights. There is no denying that. It's not good for the health of the conference in the long run, It just isn't. Texas needs to play ball with the conference and bargain collectively or go independent.

How so, Texas has no desire to leave, or making statements bashing the Big 12? Boren is the one flirting with leaving, not Texas.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong ( I may very well be, didn't follow behind the scenes Big12 goings on then) didn't Texas try to get the conference to form a conference network before LHN and got the Heisman stiff arm from everyone else?

If so, I can't see why people are so outraged by them getting one on their own :noidea:

Actually, it was back in 2006 when former Big 12 commish Kevin Weiberg suggested that the conference create its own network so the conference voted on it and unanimously voted no, 12-0; yes, even Nebraska. The commish then reiterated to all members to reconsider and vote again. Conference members voted 12-0 again unanimously to vote against a conference network; yes, even OU. In fact, the main reason NU voted no was b/c they were flirting with the idea of creating their own network at the time.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong ( I may very well be, didn't follow behind the scenes Big12 goings on then) didn't Texas try to get the conference to form a conference network before LHN and got the Heisman stiff arm from everyone else?

If so, I can't see why people are so outraged by them getting one on their own :noidea:

You have it wrong, Texas did not want it either. Texas, Texas A&M, Nebraska, and Oklahoma were all against it.

The Big 12, Kevin Weiberg, guy that tried to get it going, left and went to the Big Ten and helped with the BTN. Weiberg then left the B1G and went to the PAC 10 to help them with their TV Network.

Rats, Texasexes and I were reading and typing at the same time.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever the venue, it doesn't matter. The conference needs to stand together or break up. If Texas wants to be independent, then go independent and leave the BIG XII.

When has TEXAS ever stated they want to go independent? The conference voted in favor to allow members to pursue the creation of their own networks and negotiate their 3rd tier rights content. So that's what TX, OU, KU, WVU, KSU did. Just wondering, were you bitching and crying when KU signed their 1st 3rd tier right contract in 2006 and made an additional $7.2M a year and did not share a penny with conference members? We're you calling for Nebraska to go independent when they signed their 3rd tier rights away for what was a record then at $9M a year back in '09? I know for a fact TEXAS didn't cry like a little bitch, nor did any alumni and fans; all this while the school was making $310K off their 3rd tier rights. If conference members are so upset with UT as you claim, then why did 4 more members take advantage of selling their 3rd tier rights? In fact, I think you fuckers are making an extra $9M a year off your network.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it was back in 2006 when former Big 12 commish Kevin Weiberg suggested that the conference create its own network so the conference voted on it and unanimously voted no, 12-0; yes, even Nebraska. The commish then reiterated to all members to reconsider and vote again. Conference members voted 12-0 again unanimously to vote against a conference network; yes, even OU. In fact, the main reason NU voted no was b/c they were flirting with the idea of creating their own network at the time.

:lol: @ stuff people did 10 years ago.

Have you heard about the SEC network? That's what they want and who can blame them. You Texas fans want to pretend like all that matters is you get Texas 24/7 but the reality is the combined efforts of the conference have way more appeal to the nation.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so, Texas has no desire to leave, or making statements bashing the Big 12? Boren is the one flirting with leaving, not Texas.

If Oklahoma leaves the Big12 is fucked.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: @ stuff people did 10 years ago.

Have you heard about the SEC network? That's what they want and who can blame them. You Texas fans want to pretend like all that matters is you get Texas 24/7 but the reality is the combined efforts of the conference have way more appeal to the nation.

Yes, you're totally right. It's just the university of Texas. You had better go tell KU, OU, WVU, and KSU to terminate those lucrative 3rd tier contracts so they can make less than SEC schools.....

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you're totally right. It's just the university of Texas. You had better go tell KU, OU, WVU, and KSU to terminate those lucrative 3rd tier contracts so they can make less than SEC schools.....

That you still believe they are going to be making more than SEC schools is so funny.

Denial at it's finest.

Won't be surprised when SEC schools are pulling in more each than Texas.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC Network projections:

Roughly 28 million households in SEC country at $1.30 per customer = 36.4 million per month x 12 = 436.8 million a year.

Add in another 47 million households outside SEC country at $0.25 per customer = 11.75 million per month x 12 = 141 million a year.

Add that together and you get 577.8 million a year in revenue for the network, and that's a conservative number btw.

The Pac12 network has costs of about 100 million a year, so lets take that much out for network costs and we are down to only 477.8 million in profit for the year. ESPN is said to get half that, so divide by 2 and you end up with 238.9 million going to the SEC to be distributed among the teams.

238.9 million divided among the 14 schools comes out to: 17.06 million per school. But I'll be extra conservative and figure about 13-14 million per school, while I won't be surprised if it's even more.

These numbers btw do not include any revenue ESPN generates from ads. This is only from subscriptions because who knows how much they are making on ads - I don't.

And that is why the Big12 schools are starting to make noise.

Texas fans are in denial.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is scaling back now on bundled tiers. The writing is on the wall after the 2015 numbers arrived.
ESPN is now the single biggest anchor on the Disney revenue machine with bleaker outlooks for 2016.

The industry is predicting record numbers of cable un-subscriber heading towards streaming services.
Bundled tier are not likely to continue....and ESPN will struggle to pay for the licensing costs.

The bundled tier bullying concept is on life support.
It is not a matter of IF but when the consumers can simply get their content.

There is no way in the world ESPN would take on the distribution and costs of a Big 12 Network today.
ESPN is out of that game. They would love nothing more to dump the LHN and keep their fingers crossed with the SEC Network not losing its out of market monies.....or the SEC could be in trouble as well.

So, that means the Big 12 would have to launch a national Network on their own.
The Big 12 cannot afford to do it. And the returns would be anemic. (Exhibit PAC 12)

The current Big 12 model is the one that makes the most sense for the Big 12.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep the Longhorn network, or get rid of it. Start a conference network or don't start one. I hate to through the ugly face of reality into the conversation, but none of this will matter to any of us Longhorns unless we turn the program around. Worry about being competitive again, THEN we can worry about the money. Might want to keep an eye on Feb 3rd. Should be a good indicator.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is scaling back now on bundled tiers. The writing is on the wall after the 2015 numbers arrived.
ESPN is now the single biggest anchor on the Disney revenue machine with bleaker outlooks for 2016.

The industry is predicting record numbers of cable un-subscriber heading towards streaming services.
Bundled tier are not likely to continue....and ESPN will struggle to pay for the licensing costs.

There is no way in the world ESPN would take on the distribution and costs of a Big 12 Network today.
ESPN is out of that game. They would love nothing more to dump the LHN and keep their fingers crossed with the SEC Network not losing its out of market monies.....or the SEC could be in trouble as well.

The Big 12 cannot afford to do it. And the returns would be anemic. (Exhibit PAC 12)

The revenue/profies are shared, and the SEC network is generating a lot of profit which has nothing to do with whatever else ESPN is doing.

You are in denial.

The only thing the Big12 will need to do is expand it's market size as it kind of fucks itself with so many Texas teams. Which you need to expand the conference anyway, so that will merely determine where you look to expand too.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The revenue/profies are shared, and the SEC network is generating a lot of profit which has nothing to do with whatever else ESPN is doing.

You are in denial.

The only thing the Big12 will need to do is expand it's market size as it kind of fucks itself with so many Texas teams. Which you need to expand the conference anyway, so that will merely determine where you look to expand too.
So we add:

Temple (Philly)
Houston
Tulane (New Orleans)
UCF (Orlando/Tampa)

Change LHN to the B12 network and we are on the same financial ground as the SEC iyo?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Under a new deal CBS just agreed to 45 million for each NFL Thursday Night game it broadcast and right now just pays the SEC 55 million a year for the SEC games it broadcast. There is money on the table and when the CBS deal is over I wouldn't be surprised if ABC takes those games over in a revenue sharing deal.

Games are going to broadcast one way or another and people are going to pay what it takes to watch them.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we add:

Temple (Philly)
Houston
Tulane (New Orleans)
UCF (Orlando/Tampa)

Change LHN to the B12 network and we are on the same financial ground as the SEC iyo?
I don't think expansion makes sense for the Big 12 under the current circumstances. Texas & OU to the PAC is the only expansion move that makes sense. If ND wanted to join the ACC they would take someone else to balance the conference but that's pretty much it.