• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Von Miller closing in on deal?

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before you tear your rotator cuff patting yourself on the back, would you please explain why it is at all desirable that we would offer Oz around $20 million to play QB for a season? I don't get that at all.
Actually TD that would suck because about a yr ago I torn my rotor and labrum. Couldn't pat myself on back if I wanted to. I never said that it was a good option but still a possibility with Denver's FA situation. The response I got, prob one was you,was that it was a really dumb notion. I know it would cost them prob 20 mil but Denver's situation is unique. It was just a thought I had that popped in my head at the time and that's the gist of it all Mr. Houston :)

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually TD that would suck because about a yr ago I torn my rotor and labrum. Couldn't pat myself on back if I wanted to. I never said that it was a good option but still a possibility with Denver's FA situation. The response I got, prob one was you,was that it was a really dumb notion. I know it would cost them prob 20 mil but Denver's situation is unique. It was just a thought I had that popped in my head at the time and that's the gist of it all Mr. Houston :)

Sorry for the unfortunate reference ... hope your shoulder is now fully recovered.
Don't mean to be a jerk, but I would so love for Elway and Co. to restructure the roster in such a way that the team wins back-to-back SBs. Just can't imagine that even taking a gamble on paying Oz around $20 million is consistent with that.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the unfortunate reference ... hope your shoulder is now fully recovered.
Don't mean to be a jerk, but I would so love for Elway and Co. to restructure the roster in such a way that the team wins back-to-back SBs. Just can't imagine that even taking a gamble on paying Oz around $20 million is consistent with that.
No offense, kinda funny it came up. Like I said, Denver's situation has all the potential for some unorthodox maneuvers coming out of Elways game plan for this team. Be prepared for the unprepared :)He never fails to shock or surprise

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway has already stated he would not tag Oz under any circumstance. He did not say that about Malik though

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway has already stated he would not tag Oz under any circumstance. He did not say that about Malik though

I just read that last night but before seeing it was thinking using the tag on Oz would be an option. It overpays him for one season but it gives the Broncos time to really look at him in a "prove it" year from camp to finish. So if they deem him not the fit we all think he is the cap is a safe way to go. Better to overpay for one year than be stuck with a who it turns out isn't your guy.

I guess Elway feels differently. They must really have a lot of confidence in Oz and I don't blame him. He came in and showed himself a very capable leader. Nobody would have blamed him for not leading the team to a win over the 10-0 Patriots. That game showed us the moment isn't too big for him. I am really looking forward to seeing what the offense can do with Oz getting the first string reps and the mental boost of being the starter beginning with OTAs through training camp, pre-season and into the regular season.

And if Elway locks up Miller and Oz and uses the tag on Jackson that would be quite the coup. He acknowledged Danny T. would likely hit the FA market so he's good as gone. But assuming Marshall returns (RFA so the Broncos would get a chance to match an offer another team puts out there) this crazy good defense looks poised to bring back 10 of 11 starters. I loved Trevathon but honestly of all the defensive pieces set to become FAs I believe he was the most replaceable. I think Barrett may even be a good replacement for him by sliding into one of the middle positions. He usually played on the edge but he had solid coverage skills and is a good run stopper too.

And since I can't get enough joy from the misery of Chiefs and Raiders fans, they are all assuming it's going to be a mass exodus of talent on both sides of the ball now that the Broncos won the Super Bowl. Their reasoning is that our players will be targets for other teams. That only works if those players aren't under contract with the Broncos and it looks like the critical pieces will be.

And all of this ignores that the Broncos have FA targets of their own. Likely the bulk of this is satisfied by resigning their own talent but there may be an O-lineman out there or RB (Alfred Morris! Please, Elway, Alfred Morris!) they bring in. Plus there's the draft.

I'm not sure why Chiefs and Raiders fans think this team is on the brink of cellar dwellerism for the next several years but they are in for a rude awakening come the 2016 season.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree this was my reasoning also ..plus if Oz was stolen away we end up with 2 high first round picks

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree this was my reasoning also ..plus if Oz was stolen away we end up with 2 high first round picks
How so?? As far as I know, we get a comp pick next year...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that last night but before seeing it was thinking using the tag on Oz would be an option. It overpays him for one season but it gives the Broncos time to really look at him in a "prove it" year from camp to finish. So if they deem him not the fit we all think he is the cap is a safe way to go. Better to overpay for one year than be stuck with a who it turns out isn't your guy.

I guess Elway feels differently. They must really have a lot of confidence in Oz and I don't blame him. He came in and showed himself a very capable leader. Nobody would have blamed him for not leading the team to a win over the 10-0 Patriots. That game showed us the moment isn't too big for him. I am really looking forward to seeing what the offense can do with Oz getting the first string reps and the mental boost of being the starter beginning with OTAs through training camp, pre-season and into the regular season.

And if Elway locks up Miller and Oz and uses the tag on Jackson that would be quite the coup. He acknowledged Danny T. would likely hit the FA market so he's good as gone. But assuming Marshall returns (RFA so the Broncos would get a chance to match an offer another team puts out there) this crazy good defense looks poised to bring back 10 of 11 starters. I loved Trevathon but honestly of all the defensive pieces set to become FAs I believe he was the most replaceable. I think Barrett may even be a good replacement for him by sliding into one of the middle positions. He usually played on the edge but he had solid coverage skills and is a good run stopper too.

And since I can't get enough joy from the misery of Chiefs and Raiders fans, they are all assuming it's going to be a mass exodus of talent on both sides of the ball now that the Broncos won the Super Bowl. Their reasoning is that our players will be targets for other teams. That only works if those players aren't under contract with the Broncos and it looks like the critical pieces will be.

And all of this ignores that the Broncos have FA targets of their own. Likely the bulk of this is satisfied by resigning their own talent but there may be an O-lineman out there or RB (Alfred Morris! Please, Elway, Alfred Morris!) they bring in. Plus there's the draft.

I'm not sure why Chiefs and Raiders fans think this team is on the brink of cellar dwellerism for the next several years but they are in for a rude awakening come the 2016 season.

At this time of year every fan has that idea that their team is going to improve and all of their rivals are going to fall flat on their face. Every team has the same record and the whole this is a new season rings loudly. Heck look at the Broncos and Panthers where 5 years ago they were the 2 worst teams in the league. Those kind of stories give hope to those who haven't done it in a very long time.

As for the Broncos doom yeah I agree it is being greatly exaggerated. The possibly biggest name we are losing is that of Manning and while he is a great leader in the locker room his play on the field was actually very terrible. If Osweiler is even an average QB our offense should improve with our defense standing a very good chance of being just as good and possibly even better considering this would be year 2 in the system and again some of our young depth players having another year under their belt and some of our best players just NOW entering their prime. I guess you could look at Ware and say "Well maybe he falls off big time this year" but otherwise the rest of the guys should be just fine athletically. Now I will say injury wise we got pretty fortunate as I think we had all 11 starters on defense make it through the entire season. That doesn't happen often. We did have guys miss some big chunks of games but nobody who got put on IR other than maybe Bruton if you count him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so?? As far as I know, we get a comp pick next year...

If we slap him with the non-exclusive Franchise Tag and some other team signs him this off season we are by the rules allowed to take 2 1st round picks from whatever team takes him away from us. They would have to take him this year. Next year say he leaves in FA then yes we are to receive a comp pick if his contract is big enough and we don't sign more players than what we let leave.

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A deal will get done in the next day or tow I believe for THE BEAST... Elway is starting to show a sliver of hurry up mode with Peyton to retire.. OZ WILL NOT be tagged.. there is no way they are going to pay him close to 20 Mil a year.. in that case we go looking for a different QB which I don't think will happen because OZ wants to be in Denver.. we should tag Malik .. reduce the salary for Clady and Ware and our team should stay pretty well intact ... I am not a believer in Ronnie Hillman.. I think we bring back CJ and get another back in free agency or the draft or both !! I think Elway is extremely smart with these deals and he is a players GM so they have always shown that they are willing to take a little cut to get to the SB... not that they have that taste I don't see Ware wanting to go to Miami or Jacksonville or the Raiders where they might win some games but will never get to the big game THIS coming year... Our schedule so far is a benefit for us. . harder games at home but WE NEED A DAMN RUNNING BACK that can be counted on... Would love Forte but probably out of range for us

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ We did lose Ware for a few games along the way, but the defense was 100% through the playoffs if that's what you meant. We did catch some fortune by not losing too many key pieces on either side to injury for the season. And when we did lose key pieces we had depth (except at safety) to come in a keep the dropoff from being too pronounced. Barrett, Ray, and of course, Osweiler are the best examples of this. The injury bug did visit the Broncos but they survived better than in years past.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. But I don't see that happening. ;)

( Either us tagging him and paying him 19MM or another team giving up two high picks.)

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ We did lose Ware for a few games along the way, but the defense was 100% through the playoffs if that's what you meant. We did catch some fortune by not losing too many key pieces on either side to injury for the season. And when we did lose key pieces we had depth (except at safety) to come in a keep the dropoff from being too pronounced. Barrett, Ray, and of course, Osweiler are the best examples of this. The injury bug did visit the Broncos but they survived better than in years past.
The one game that injuries really hurt was us was vs the Steelers losing our top 3 safeties.

But I agree that on the defense we were overall quite healthy. Now offensively that's a different story, especially the OL.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah what I meant was more in the Super Bowl and well actually the playoffs in general all 11 starters that were starters on day 1 of the season were our starters then. Like I said that doesn't happen too often so we did get fortunate that way that we got very healthy right before the playoffs. Yes we lost guys for games throughout the year and honestly if we had lost some guys for the year other than at a couple of positions we did seem to have starter quality guys backing them up. I'm very interested to see how Elway keeps building this depth as we do possibly lose some big names after this next season that have helped out depth wise. I will say DL even if we sign Malik could take a hit this off season losing a couple of guys. Good thing this draft is deep at the position and we can get a great depth guy in the 2nd round and beyond if needed.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. But I don't see that happening. ;)

( Either us tagging him and paying him 19MM or another team giving up two high picks.)

Oh I agree. No way is a team giving up 2 1st round picks for a guy that only has 7 starts and honestly in those 7 starts put up mediocre stats. Yes he had his moments but I just can't see any team even remotely thinking about that. Plus whoever does that not only has to give up big draft pick capital but then has to sign him to a big contract as well. It is why even when top players are tagged teams just are not willing to trade for them.

Manimal Sighting

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah what I meant was more in the Super Bowl and well actually the playoffs in general all 11 starters that were starters on day 1 of the season were our starters then. Like I said that doesn't happen too often so we did get fortunate that way that we got very healthy right before the playoffs. Yes we lost guys for games throughout the year and honestly if we had lost some guys for the year other than at a couple of positions we did seem to have starter quality guys backing them up. I'm very interested to see how Elway keeps building this depth as we do possibly lose some big names after this next season that have helped out depth wise. I will say DL even if we sign Malik could take a hit this off season losing a couple of guys. Good thing this draft is deep at the position and we can get a great depth guy in the 2nd round and beyond if needed.
I will agree with you that we didn't lose too many people for the year other than a few spots but I also don't think you can view it as solely luck. For the first part, yes we were fortunate to get healthy before the playoffs, and that happened because Kubiak made it happen. This is exactly why we were resting starters and giving players more time than they needed to come back from injuries. The second part is all Elway. They say depth wins championships and he has done a hell of a job for the most part at removing weak links from our team. Im not saying you are wrong to say we were lucky but we also have to give credit where it is due because those two contributed in a big way towards planning our playoff health and depth

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bronco front office is off to a great start as defending world champs. You and I - we have values for the players we watch - but the coaches and front office of this teams actually knows them. I would say - what is reassuring to me is how the Broncos seem to be projecting confidence - and aggressively putting a team together to defend the World Championship.

There's no panic in the front office - no contradictions between comments- and not a single player voices a negative thought about the Denver Broncos. I don't know what is going to happen, but these Broncos appear to be keenly putting into place their plan for the season. They are not infallible, but they are directed and focused.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malik gets offered 10 mil.

He wants 14 mil.

He says he needs to be able to eat.

If you can't eat for 10 million dollars you aren't eating at the right places.

Just say you want the most money you can get.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malik gets offered 10 mil.

He wants 14 mil.

He says he needs to be able to eat.

If you can't eat for 10 million dollars you aren't eating at the right places.

Just say you want the most money you can get.
Bye bye Malik!!!! Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you!

This is why it's important to establish that talent conveyor belt. You let the players reaching for money go elsewhere, knowing you have his replacement already on the roster. If he goes, I suspect we won't miss Jackson as much as some think. After all, did we even notice that Pot Roast was absent this season?