• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vikings/Redskins going after Greg Roman

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been mentioned by several GM's that they prefer to have their HC jobs filled by mid January unless there is a big time name they are waiting for. Plus there's the fact that just because you want a guy it doesn't mean he wants to coach for your team. There's also the fact that available assistant coaches are being gobbled up too while you sit and wait.

If you're just looking at free agents then yeah 5 weeks could give you a good idea though I think people underestimate even that part of the process. A GM's and HC's job is so much more than that though

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't be hard for teams to adjust to not being able to interview or hire coaches during the playoffs. You could allow them to schedule interviews during the 2 week dead period before the Super Bowl, and by the end of the week after the Super Bowl most all coaching spots would be filled with staff filled out a week later.

The NFL could then just move the combine and free agency back a week or two. Also less time between hiring a new coach and starting on the new offseason might be good for the league. You might actually start to see teams stick with a guy for more than a year >_> (see Cleveland Browns)

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There won't be a ton of people upset about it. Roman frustrates alot of people myself included. To be 100% fair to him, he's way better than any other OC we've had since Norv Turner was here several years ago.

I'd love to get Norv back, but I doubt Harbaugh will do it. I think Harbaugh will promote from within as getting Norv would change the offense. I don't mean Norv would move away from a power running game, but the design of plays and especially the way the offense runs would probably change. Example being the 2/3 plays called in every huddle that costs us 3 or 4 timeouts a game is something I could see Norv throwing out. He would probably throw out the jumbo sets in mid field too..... The more I talk about it the more I wish he would come here:drool:

To be fair, that's like saying lumpy shit is better than diarrhea. When you have to eat shit.

Losing Roman is a good thing.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, yes, and yes. Also, other than myself who thinks this, I have yet to meet a fan or talk to a football fan of any team that I think realizes just how difficult it could be and I think WILL BE for Harbaugh to find a really good, competent person that could run a meeting room, work with players, and fill in the cracks on this team as well as Roman does.

It's certainly possible something happens elsewhere that could make it easier for Harbaugh to replace him, but I think it could be and I'd probably predict it's going to be VERY difficult for Harbaugh to find as good of a football mind and as good of a football coach for THIS team as Roman is, flaws included. Nobody that I know that has dug into this stuff has acknowledged that anywhere that I've seen. I challenge anybody to come up with good reasons why I might be wrong. I'd love to have that conversation.

As far as Norv Turner goes. Others have heard me say for years that he runs my favorite offensive system in NFL history. I don't think there's a chance at this point in his career that Turner would want to work with Jim Harbaugh and I don't think Harbaugh would EVER want Turner. I don't think Harbaugh would want to deal with the changes that'd take place if he'd have to work with him. The two men are really different and I don't see a lot of overlapping in their styles/approaches. Again, if anybody sees differently I'd love to have that conversation with someone or some people.

Then Harbaugh needs to go too. If this crew doesn't get it done, and gets cherry picked, there's no reason to keep any of the leftovers.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FA period starts March 11.. You're basically giving a team about 5 weeks to find a new HC, get the coaching staff assembled, set up a system, review the roster from the previous season, and come up with a plan to target the desired FA's and draft choicesready have established HC and system are already scouting all of this since last year...

But they work 28 hours a day, if you listen to them.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if all the good coaches are committed to another team. Hard to build a staff if all the good coaches are already taken

The hate on Roman has been over blown(myself included). We could do far worse, But he at times gets way too creative and play calling especially at the goal line is suspect. imo, Roman and his Ginormous play book is the biggest reason for the poor clock management. Not to mention how conservative he gets when we have as small as a 10 point lead. Though that could be more a Harbaugh thing.

That said, He actually is an outstanding football coach and mind. I believe that JH gets a lot of credit that is due to Roman, so my question is can Geep from a production stand point pick up where Roman leaves off? The last time we tried this (when Norv left) it was disaster. If Roman goes I am really hoping to get Kubiak and we can go back to a more traditional simple W/C system. Sadly, I dont think this will happen. I get the feeling if either Coordinator goes we will hire from within.

And now that Ive read earlier posts, in this thread, the Mangini hire makes more sense to me. He is probably the back up plan if Fangio goes, maybe even the next guy up before Donetelle.

Piss poor redzone offense and a complete lack of value on clock management are exactly why this guy gets deserved criticism. People who defend him in light of his obvious shortcomings should have their heads examined.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Piss poor redzone offense and a complete lack of value on clock management are exactly why this guy gets deserved criticism. People who defend him in light of his obvious shortcomings should have their heads examined.

7jlu.jpg

Well Doc', I was a bed-wetter a long time ago, but I overcame that well before my 20th birthday. Do you think the name NinerSickness is s Freudian slip? I think I have unresolved issues with my mother. Sometimes voices tell me to do things. Should I listen to them? Or should I just ignore them and their stupid, flashing lights in my mirror?

Tell it to me straight Doc'. Am I crazy? Or is the world crazy and I'm the sane one?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Then Harbaugh needs to go too. If this crew doesn't get it done, and gets cherry picked, there's no reason to keep any of the leftovers.

Eventually, I think losing Roman and quite possibly not finding a suitable replacement is going to be a big part of Harbaugh's eventual downfall, along with possible burnout if he's around long enough. Or that could just be me repeating the same fears I had when they hired Harbaugh.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Roman is such a genius, why is his playcalling so shitty?

Semi-related question: if our Oline is so good, how come our power running game is frequently so shitty?

I get that things could be worse. But they could also be a hell of a lot better.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If Roman is such a genius, why is his playcalling so shitty?

Semi-related question: if our Oline is so good, how come our power running game is frequently so shitty?

I get that things could be worse. But they could also be a hell of a lot better.

1. It's not.
2. It's not.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eventually, I think losing Roman and quite possibly not finding a suitable replacement is going to be a big part of Harbaugh's eventual downfall, along with possible burnout if he's around long enough. Or that could just be me repeating the same fears I had when they hired Harbaugh.

You have seem very worried about harbaugh lately.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You have seem very worried about harbaugh lately.

I've worried about Harbaugh since the day he was hired. Actually going back to before he was hired and his name was in the discussion. A lot of it hasn't been justified or proven to be correct thus far based on his and the team's performance. I just fear a lot of that success hinges on Roman's imprint. Not that Roman is without fault himself.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. It's not.
2. It's not.

Roman's playcalling is shitty. I don't recall what point 2 was.

Roman's offense is suck ass, too. We ranked 24th overall, and 30th in passing. Roman needs to go.

Wow, we're 3rd in rushing the ball. Yet we throw inside the 10 almost exclusively. Roman's offense sucks ass and needs to go.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roman's playcalling is shitty. I don't recall what point 2 was.

Roman's offense is suck ass, too. We ranked 24th overall, and 30th in passing. Roman needs to go.

Wow, we're 3rd in rushing the ball. Yet we throw inside the 10 almost exclusively. Roman's offense sucks ass and needs to go.

Point two was that our supposedly great Oline frequently can't runblock itself out of a wet paper bag.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Offensive rankings aren't going to say anything about how good the Niners' offense is. They run the slowest offense in the NFL. They simply run fewer plays, and they do that on purpose. The Eagles, on the other hand, run a hurry up offense; their offense is going to be ranked higher regardless of how good it is.

I was thinking about this the other day, and I think the best way to determine how good an offense is would be points per drive. I wonder where you can find that stat. :think:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive rankings aren't going to say anything about how good the Niners' offense is. They run the slowest offense in the NFL. They simply run fewer plays, and they do that on purpose. The Eagles, on the other hand, run a hurry up offense; their offense is going to be ranked higher regardless of how good it is.

I was thinking about this the other day, and I think the best way to determine how good an offense is would be points per drive. I wonder where you can find that stat. :think:

Should be a corollation of punts. Wouldn't be exact numbers because of how slow an offense runs, but could give a glimpse unless somebody tracks points per drive (should be kept; as important as YPA).

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure how legit these guys are but here you go......

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2013 DRIVE STATS