• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vikings/Redskins going after Greg Roman

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hate Roman gets is ridiculous IMO.

People look at offensive yard rankings to see how good an offense is. That's dumb. Teams who play a lot of hurry-up are going to have better offensive stats & worse defensive stats. And the reverse is true when teams play a slow offense like the Niners do.

The offense has been doing fine since Crabtree got back (not to mention Mike Iupati).
Roman has sucked pre- Crabtree. His Offensive plans are the worst in the league. The 9ers are really lucky to have won so many games under his shit plans.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would be better than Roman? Geep? Grass isnt always greener and it's never good to learn a new system. That's why I think it would be Geep if Roman left. But then we need a QB coach. Any ideas on those?

People look at offensive yard rankings to see how good an offense is. That's dumb. Teams who play a lot of hurry-up are going to have better offensive stats & worse defensive stats. And the reverse is true when teams play a slow offense like the Niners do.

The offense has been doing fine since Crabtree got back (not to mention Mike Iupati).

:agree:

Fans forget the 49ers are 36-11-1 with Roman as the OC. A winning percentage of .7406!

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roman has sucked pre- Crabtree. His Offensive plans are the worst in the league. The 9ers are really lucky to have won so many games under his shit plans.

:wtf2::lame:

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My problem with Roman is his play calling sucks butt. He needs to go.

NinersForLife

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a yards issue for me, its questionable play calls in certain situations which drive me nuts. I think this offense is capable of so much more (points-wise) than what has been shown this year. In too many cases, the offense settles for FGs and lets teams hang around until the final series of the game where it comes down to the defense or offense having to do something to win.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roman redzone play call sucks. Also when things go bad he doesn't know how to adjust.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roman redzone play call sucks. Also when things go bad he doesn't know how to adjust.

Seeing as most of the time Niners need to score points in the 2nd half in order to win (save for the Arizona game), I disagree with this statement.

And here's to hoping SF gets to the Super Bowl just because I hate helping other teams by giving them our coordinators.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hard to tell. Roman's smart enough to be a HC IMO. He has the attitude. He wouldn't exactly be on the top of my list if I wanted a HC though.

The question is does Harbaugh make him look better or does Roman make Harbaugh look better. I hope we don't have to find out next year.

One of the only reasons why I could sleep decently with Harbaugh was him having a guy like Roman or Greg Roman himself to run the offense and meeting room with the players.

One of my biggest fears about hiring Harbaugh, and others have heard me say this before so forgive me, is that I don't believe based on everything I've gathered that he has as great of ties to others associated with the NFL or men who have been associated with the NFL.

I'm still skeptical of those reports that came out before he was hired that he "could deliver an all-star coaching staff." I think a number of assistant coaches on the 49ers staff have a number of good traits but I don't think the 49ers have assembled that impressive of an assistant staff beyond the coordinators and I wouldn't feel great if they promoted one to coordinator. (I think Fangio is a very, very, very smart coach but I don't think he's in Roman's ballpark as a football mind).

Judging assistants as a fan is incredibly difficult and in so many areas it's unfair to them in some aspects just because there's only so much good info a person can accumulate on an assistant to form an opinion. I feel like I do as good of a FAN job as anybody I've ever met at keeping bios and overall information on NFL coaches so it's something I'm very passionate about when I talk to people about this kind of thing.

As I just said, I'm fully aware that this is a difficult subject to speak about and without working with those guys you can't get a really, really accurate picture but I try to get as much good info to go off of as I can and that's just my opinion about the situation. I would worry a GREAT deal about the 49ers if Roman, and to a much, much lesser extent if Fangio, both depart.

It's completely possible that Harbaugh proves me wrong and can find the right people to replace Roman and/or Fangio at the right time. I think it's only a matter of (short) time before Roman is gone. He's just too good of a coach and too great of a mind NOT to get a chance. Fangio's temperament, style, and past will probably result in others not finding him as attractive as a HC candidate for TODAY'S NFL but it wouldn't stun me if an old school executive or set of executives wanted to give him a chance down the road somewhere.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Pozz, is there a specific reason why you question whether or not Harbaugh has a large Rolodex of NFL minds that he can call on? Is it because of his temperament/difficult attitude to work with?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes, yes, and yes. Also, other than myself who thinks this, I have yet to meet a fan or talk to a football fan of any team that I think realizes just how difficult it could be and I think WILL BE for Harbaugh to find a really good, competent person that could run a meeting room, work with players, and fill in the cracks on this team as well as Roman does.

It's certainly possible something happens elsewhere that could make it easier for Harbaugh to replace him, but I think it could be and I'd probably predict it's going to be VERY difficult for Harbaugh to find as good of a football mind and as good of a football coach for THIS team as Roman is, flaws included. Nobody that I know that has dug into this stuff has acknowledged that anywhere that I've seen. I challenge anybody to come up with good reasons why I might be wrong. I'd love to have that conversation.

As far as Norv Turner goes. Others have heard me say for years that he runs my favorite offensive system in NFL history. I don't think there's a chance at this point in his career that Turner would want to work with Jim Harbaugh and I don't think Harbaugh would EVER want Turner. I don't think Harbaugh would want to deal with the changes that'd take place if he'd have to work with him. The two men are really different and I don't see a lot of overlapping in their styles/approaches. Again, if anybody sees differently I'd love to have that conversation with someone or some people.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey Pozz, is there a specific reason why you question whether or not Harbaugh has a large Rolodex of NFL minds that he can call on? Is it because of his temperament/difficult attitude to work with?

From what I've been able to gather and understand, there was a large amount of people that thought when he came into the NFL a lot of coaches would like to work with a guy like Harbaugh because it's a collective effort with him and they saw him as a guy that always did a good job of propping "his guys" up wherever he could no matter what role Harbaugh himself had.

Many see him as a guy that will listen to what you have to say and allow you to run with your ideas/plans/etc. and take ownership of that up to a point. Therefore, many I think assumed that he could get a lot of guys to come to wherever he was at to work with/for him. Others felt like his intensity and drive would also be appealing to coaches but I think that stuff flies way more with the media and fans than it does with men who might potentially work with him.

I've also come to understand and believe that Harbaugh's net doesn't extend too far as far as guys he's developed solid relationships with. The guys he's worked with will say that he can be great to work with but I don't think there's extensive history there of developing relationships with a range of different contacts in the NFL. He lacks in that department based on everything I've come to find.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This is probably obscure, but does anyone have an opinion on Pat Flaherty? He's the Giants' OL coach. He'd be a guy I'd put on the list of potential replacements for Roman if he leaves.

I don't even know if he wants to be a coordinator, but I've always been impressed with him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as we win I don't care.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So did anyone catch the story about Roman staying behind and not returning with the team so that he could interview for the job in Washington.

I think its kind of messed up for him interviewing between playoff games. Disappointing to say the least. That time should be spent working on his 1st and goal playbook.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks alot Roman... thank you for being distracted... POS...

hate that OC/DC can do this when their respective teams are in the playoffs.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks alot Roman... thank you for being distracted... POS...

hate that OC/DC can do this when their respective teams are in the playoffs.

I hate it too. But you can't fault the guy for looking out for his future. I think they should have to come to him in SF. Not wherever he was closest.

I still think he will be plenty focused for this Sunday.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate it too. But you can't fault the guy for looking out for his future. I think they should have to come to him in SF. Not wherever he was closest.

I still think he will be plenty focused for this Sunday.

Obviously, its employment and one needs to secure his/her future.

I recall the OC from ATL(or someone else but it was from ATL) last year about declining interviews to focus on the game. I believe McCoy may have done the same last yr as well as well as the current coordinators declining interviews or holding off talks to remain focus for the playoffs... that I respect a lot but looks like Roman didn't have that same interest.

Whatever, I'm sure he'll be prepared and do what he does best.

NFL should change the hiring process to allow playoff candidates an equal opportunity vs the ones who are not part of the postseason.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, its employment and one needs to secure his/her future.

I recall the OC from ATL(or someone else but it was from ATL) last year about declining interviews to focus on the game. I believe McCoy may have done the same last yr as well as well as the current coordinators declining interviews or holding off talks to remain focus for the playoffs... that I respect a lot but looks like Roman didn't have that same interest.

Whatever, I'm sure he'll be prepared and do what he does best.

NFL should change the hiring process to allow playoff candidates an equal opportunity vs the ones who are not part of the postseason.

Well lets be fair here. He couldn't interview last year because of our Superbowl run and missed out on probably the Jacksonville job. After this week I don't believe he can interview with anyone till after the Superbowl so kinda had to do it this week or risk not getting another interview in the NFL this season. Also if he interviewed yesterday he is probably back in Santa Clara today with practice tomorrow so for me its no big deal.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think Roman is making a mistake by even considering the Washington job. He has a great gig, and to leave that to go work for Schneider? That just seems like a huge mistake. He is a smart guy, I can't believe he isn't considering who he will be working for. One of the biggest douches in football.

Maybe this is just about the experience of the interview, getting his name circulating, etc....

I can't believe Roman going to work for Shneider will work out any better than Nor Turner burning us and leaving for San Diego after one year only to get fired and end up o-cordinator for the browns.