• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vikings/Redskins going after Greg Roman

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think Roman is making a mistake by even considering the Washington job. He has a great gig, and to leave that to go work for Schneider? That just seems like a huge mistake. He is a smart guy, I can't believe he isn't considering who he will be working for. One of the biggest douches in football.

Maybe this is just about the experience of the interview, getting his name circulating, etc....

I can't believe Roman going to work for Shneider will work out any better than Nor Turner burning us and leaving for San Diego after one year only to get fired and end up o-cordinator for the browns.

If Roman's first HC gig mirrored Norv's time with the Chargers then I would consider that pretty successful.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL needs to change the rules on coaching hires after the season ends. Once the playoffs start teams should not be allowed to interview or have contact with any coaches about potential jobs until after the Super Bowl. This would of course apply to all team in the NFL.

It cheapens the importance of the games being played to have all these coaching hires and rumors during the week. The NFL would get a lot more out of it by allowing this media frenzy to start the day after the big game.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This is probably obscure, but does anyone have an opinion on Pat Flaherty? He's the Giants' OL coach. He'd be a guy I'd put on the list of potential replacements for Roman if he leaves.

I don't even know if he wants to be a coordinator, but I've always been impressed with him.

no offense but isn't that generally one of the most consistently bad units in the NFL over the last 3-5 years?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL needs to change the rules on coaching hires after the season ends. Once the playoffs start teams should not be allowed to interview or have contact with any coaches about potential jobs until after the Super Bowl. This would of course apply to all team in the NFL.

It cheapens the importance of the games being played to have all these coaching hires and rumors during the week. The NFL would get a lot more out of it by allowing this media frenzy to start the day after the big game.

The thing is, teams would want to get a head start on preparing for the next season... New HC, need time to interview and hire his coaching staff, set up the system they would employ, review the roster to determine which players to cut and which to keep, then look at free agents and draft propects etc...

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last rumor I heard was Washington's no. 1 choice was Jay Gruden

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Teams shouldn't allow their coordinators to interview for HC positions until the team's been eliminated or until after the SB. They'd still have plenty of time before FA & the draft to prepare.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams shouldn't allow their coordinators to interview for HC positions until the team's been eliminated or until after the SB. They'd still have plenty of time before FA & the draft to prepare.
Isn't that a rule now? I will have to check on that.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BAM... thats what i preached!!!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, teams would want to get a head start on preparing for the next season... New HC, need time to interview and hire his coaching staff, set up the system they would employ, review the roster to determine which players to cut and which to keep, then look at free agents and draft propects etc...

First weekend of Febuary isn't enough of a starting point?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that a rule now? I will have to check on that.

Rule is that coordinators can't apply or be interviewed for other coordinator positions... however HC is permissable.

Well, the organization can deny request or contacts for their coordinators if its of a similar position availability.... HC the organization cant deny

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule is that coordinators can't apply or be interviewed for other coordinator positions... however HC is permissable.

Well, the organization can deny request or contacts for their coordinators if its of a similar position availability.... HC the organization cant deny
Really? Then I would have to say that rule needs to be changed to no talking to any coaches of a playoff team until that team's season is over. I can only imagine what might be a deflection to a game plan if one knows they might be coaching elsewhere.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

FA period starts March 11.. You're basically giving a team about 5 weeks to find a new HC, get the coaching staff assembled, set up a system, review the roster from the previous season, and come up with a plan to target the desired FA's and draft choicesready have established HC and system are already scouting all of this since last year...

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
FA period starts March 11.. You're basically giving a team about 5 weeks to find a new HC, get the coaching staff assembled, set up a system, review the roster from the previous season, and come up with a plan to target the desired FA's and draft choicesready have established HC and system are already scouting all of this since last year...

I just remembered... The scouting combine will be held on Feb, 18-25... That gives a team looking for a new HC even lesser time than what I stated above

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not if all the good coaches are committed to another team. Hard to build a staff if all the good coaches are already taken

The hate on Roman has been over blown(myself included). We could do far worse, But he at times gets way too creative and play calling especially at the goal line is suspect. imo, Roman and his Ginormous play book is the biggest reason for the poor clock management. Not to mention how conservative he gets when we have as small as a 10 point lead. Though that could be more a Harbaugh thing.

That said, He actually is an outstanding football coach and mind. I believe that JH gets a lot of credit that is due to Roman, so my question is can Geep from a production stand point pick up where Roman leaves off? The last time we tried this (when Norv left) it was disaster. If Roman goes I am really hoping to get Kubiak and we can go back to a more traditional simple W/C system. Sadly, I dont think this will happen. I get the feeling if either Coordinator goes we will hire from within.

And now that Ive read earlier posts, in this thread, the Mangini hire makes more sense to me. He is probably the back up plan if Fangio goes, maybe even the next guy up before Donetelle.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I am probably underestimating the difficulty of all things entailed in this process but i think i know enough about all the nfl teams and players, that if i was given a HC job for a team, I could figure out which free agents i would want to pursue and that would fit the team within 5 weeks

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was my understanding that a team has to give permission for an employee to interview for another job before the season is over.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this...

According to NFL rules, assistant coaches whose teams played on wild-card weekend can interview for head-coaching positions only during the week leading up to the divisional playoffs.

Teams can conduct a second interview during the week after the conference championship game and before Super Bowl week, if they’re granted permission.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am probably underestimating the difficulty of all things entailed in this process but i think i know enough about all the nfl teams and players, that if i was given a HC job for a team, I could figure out which free agents i would want to pursue and that would fit the team within 5 weeks

Interesting.. Let's say a team waits to interview after the SB... What if the GM/Owner/Team President and the candidate find out they are not on the same wave length as to running a team.. It would not be a good fit... Think the team wasted all that time waiting on nothing then having to start all over again? ... It's only an interview... Not a guarantee hire ... Still think 5 weeks is enough???

Also you forgot to mention the coaching staff... Interviewing them and making sure you have the correct hire as the HC... Making sure of their willingness and availability... Making he sure their vision of team needs matches your own... Just because you're the HC does not mean you can run team with out input from others... Still think 5 weeks is enough?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Interesting.. Let's say a team waits to interview after the SB... What if the GM/Owner/Team President and the candidate find out they are not on the same wave length as to running a team.. It would not be a good fit... Think the team wasted all that time waiting on nothing then having to start all over again? ... It's only an interview... Not a guarantee hire ... Still think 5 weeks is enough???

Also you forgot to mention the coaching staff... Interviewing them and making sure you have the correct hire as the HC... Making sure of their willingness and availability... Making he sure their vision of team needs matches your own... Just because you're the HC does not mean you can run team with out input from others... Still think 5 weeks is enough?

i was just saying from the adding FA point of view. The 5 week deadline is when FA starts and I could look at a list of available FA right now and know which ones I want to pursue.